The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Mon May 31, 2010, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
Talking Weekend tourney

On Sunday my first game started at 8AM and I'm the PU. During our pre-game conference with the coaches for ground rules I stated "We are using OBR with certain safety youth modifications. No malicious contact is being emphasized." Both coaches stated that they were aware of this. We start the game. In the 2nd inning R1 is on 2nd base and B2 hits a long fly ball to F8 my partner calls no-catch and R1 is off on the touch.

I'm watching the relay throws and know that there is going to be a play at the Plate. The throw beats the runner by at least 30 feet. I have time to get set and watch as R1 is coming home. F2 has the ball and is blocking the Plate. I watch as R1 charges F2 with a football type of charge. Both elbows are out, the fists are on his chest and as contact is made, R1 picks F2 up and dumps him. I call "TIME, that's malicious contact, you are out!" I go and tell the coach that number #8 is ejected for the day. Nobody argues. The coach starts to walk away and then turns back and says, "Blue I think it is only for this game." That's when I remember that the Tourney director said that all ejections were for one game unless there is a fight. Anyway the team looses for the third time and are out of the tourney.
NFHS Class #1 softball/baseball
ASA/USSSA
Dayton, Ohio

I have been umpiring so long that it was called Rounders when I started.