The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 14, 2010, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Trips to the Mound - LL Baseball

I had someone ask me a question regarding coaches trips to the mound in Little League Baseball. I'm familiar with FED, NCAA, and OBR, but not LL Rules. I am guessing that it is the same as OBR - could someone help me out to either verify or correct? Thanks.
Old Fri May 14, 2010, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Rule 8.06 - Visits to Pitcher

* Number of Visits Allowed
o LL - Must change pitcher on third visit of inning or fourth visit of game
o OBR - Must change pitcher on second visit of inning

http://mysite.verizon.net/rutherford.ll/rules2.htm

Last edited by bigjohn; Fri May 14, 2010 at 08:58am.
Old Fri May 14, 2010, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
Rule 8.06 - Visits to Pitcher

* Number of Visits Allowed
o LL - Must change pitcher on third visit of inning or fourth visit of game
o OBR - Must change pitcher on second visit of inning

Little League Rule Differences
And it's visits per pitcher. New pitcher? Visit count restarts.

(Both LL and OBR)
Old Fri May 14, 2010, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

So both of these rules in LL Baseball are per pitcher?

- Pitcher must be removed on the third charged conference in the same inning (for the same pitcher).
- Pitcher must be removed on the fourth conference to that pitcher during the game.

Could someone please post the wording of 8.06 so I can be sure I'm understanding this correctly? Thanks.

Last edited by Buckeye12; Fri May 14, 2010 at 09:14am.
Old Fri May 14, 2010, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

I'll do you one better. This comes right out of the 2010 Rule Instructors Manual:

8.06 (BASEBALL) – This rule, which applies to each pitcher who enters a game, governs the visits of the manager or coach to the pitcher at the mound:
(a) A manager or coach may come out twice in one inning to visit with the pitcher, but the third time out, the player must be removed as a pitcher. Example: If a manager visits Pitcher A once in the first inning, then makes a pitching change in the same inning, Pitcher B would be allowed two visits in that inning before being removed on the third visit.
(b) A manager or coach may come out three times in one game to visit with the pitcher, but the fourth time out, the player must be removed as a pitcher. Example: If a manager visits Pitcher A twice in the first three innings, then makes a pitching change in the fourth inning, Pitcher B would be allowed three visits in that game before being removed on the fourth visit, subject to the limits in (a) above.
(c) The manager or coach is prohibited from making a third visit while the same batter is at bat.
(d) A manager or coach may confer with any other defensive player(s), including the catcher, during the visitwith the pitcher. A manager or coach who is granted a time out to talk to any defensive player will be charged with a visit to the pitcher.
APPROVED RULING 1: At the time a pitcher is removed, a visit shall not be charged to the new pitcher.
APPROVED RULING 2: A conference with the pitcher or any other fielder to evaluate the player’s condition after an injury shall not be considered a visit for the purposes of this rule. The manager or coach should advise the umpire of such a conference, and the umpire should monitor the conference.
“The Right Call” Casebook -- Comment: If the manager or coach after a warning, makes a third visit to the pitcher while the same batter is at bat, the manager or coach shall be removed from the game, not the pitcher.
INSTRUCTOR COMMENTS:
⇒ A manager is allowed to visit with any defensive player. If the manager or coach comes out and only talks to the shortstop or only to the 3rd baseman he/she is still charged with a visit to the pitcher. The manager or coach, in all Divisions, may go to the mound or foul line, whichever he/she prefers. .
⇒ At times, managers will call a catcher over to the dugout in an effort to avoid being charged a conference. This is not allowed and additional visits must be charged to the pitcher.
⇒ When a manager comes out and makes a pitching change that shall not be considered a visit to the pitcher being replaced. This applies to Junior/Senior/Big League Softball and Big League Baseball where a pitcher may move to another position and return as a pitcher later in the same game.
Old Fri May 14, 2010, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye12 View Post
So both of these rules in LL Baseball are per pitcher?

- Pitcher must be removed on the third charged conference in the same inning (for the same pitcher).
- Pitcher must be removed on the fourth conference to that pitcher during the game.

Could someone please post the wording of 8.06 so I can be sure I'm understanding this correctly? Thanks.
bold added - I think that means per pitcher