Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 23, 2010, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post
Bob FED only

What about an illegal bat?

In FED if the batter enters the box with an illegal bat = dead ball and an out.

In other words the CO NEVER happened IF the umpire noticed the illegal bat to begin with.

I do not see the logic when a player hits the ball illegally to begin with or an illegal bat and then getting first base because of the CO.

Pete Booth
This thread is about stepping out of the batter's box and hitting the ball, not about using an illegal bat.
Old Fri Apr 23, 2010, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
If the batter steps out of the back of the box and then strikes the catcher with his bat, I'm grabbing the batter.
One of the codes has a specifc play on this, but I can't at this time remember which, or the specific ruling.
Old Sat Apr 24, 2010, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
Chris,

Fixed it for ya'.

Apparently you had 3 thoughts jumbled.

John
Duuuuuhhh!

Thanks JM
Old Sat Apr 24, 2010, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
So in effect, you're saying it's perfectly legal for the batter to step anywhere he pleases to make contact with the catcher. Using this logic, I'm guessing you would consider it catcher's obstruction if the batter turned around and smacked the catcher in the head with the bat. Same theory applies. Sweeten the pot if the batter puts bat on ball. You can't call it any other way, now can you?

Time! You, first base. You, call an ambulance.
Steven and Dash - No. I am not saying that or considering the action you described as CI (CO in FED). Please allow me to clarify. What I am saying is if the batter makes an attempt to strike the ball and the catcher interferes I have CI first, then an out for his being out of the box. To your point, if I judge the batter to be stepping out of the box and deliberately striking at the catcher in effort to induce CI then I am not giving him the base.
Old Sat Apr 24, 2010, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

A question or two....

Gentlemen,

In this case, how many times are we really going to see the batter out of the box before the INT by F2?

As a practical matter, how many times a year do any of us see the batter out of the box? How many times should we see it?

In short, if I have INT by F2, unless it is so blatant it can't be ignored, I am not seeing the batter out of the box. End of problem, unless it is one of those "career plays" (ones you see once an umpire's career).
Old Sat Apr 24, 2010, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
Gentlemen,

In this case, how many times are we really going to see the batter out of the box before the INT by F2?

As a practical matter, how many times a year do any of us see the batter out of the box? How many times should we see it?

In short, if I have INT by F2, unless it is so blatant it can't be ignored, I am not seeing the batter out of the box. End of problem, unless it is one of those "career plays" (ones you see once an umpire's career).
I agree with this.

That said, the original question was what to do if we do see it.

And, the end result is often the same.
Old Sun Apr 25, 2010, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post

I probably call this 2 or 3 times each year, and it's always on the same type of play: a bunt. Usually it's on a bunt when the batter runs halfway to the mound before making contact; sometimes it's when the guy squares around so poorly that one of his feet is literally stationed behind the point of the plate when he makes contact. These situations are so obvious that it makes it easier to call it.