The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 28, 2010, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
MLB millionaires continues to thumb their nose at the issue while hiding behind a small statement printed on the back of every MLB ticket. MLB and it's commissioner refuse to support a safe alternative. Both broken bats and foul line drives will continue to injure numerous MLB fans each year. MLB can easily mandate some cheap 10 foot netting to extend from each dugout to the backstop netting already in place to put a stop to these senseless injuries. The clock continues to run on MLB ...
While we're at it, why don't we enclose all of the stands in plexiglass? Foul balls are dangerous, too.

Don't add more netting. The number of these cases every year are so small. By adding the netting, you're taking away the chance for any play on a foul ball the defense could make against the wall.

Yes, hockey recently expanded their netting, but pucks hit into it were already out-of-play. By adding netting to baseball, you're putting some balls out-of-play that could have otherwise been playable.
Old Wed Apr 28, 2010, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
While we're at it, why don't we enclose all of the stands in plexiglass? Foul balls are dangerous, too.

Don't add more netting. The number of these cases every year are so small. By adding the netting, you're taking away the chance for any play on a foul ball the defense could make against the wall.

Yes, hockey recently expanded their netting, but pucks hit into it were already out-of-play. By adding netting to baseball, you're putting some balls out-of-play that could have otherwise been playable.
New here-- I post more often on the basketball board, but these are my 2 cents:

It seems like the most dangerous areas are in/above the dugouts.
The players are safe with at some fencing at most parks. Why not the fans?

Netting there will not interfere with any balls.
Old Wed Apr 28, 2010, 04:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser View Post
New here-- I post more often on the basketball board, but these are my 2 cents:

It seems like the most dangerous areas are in/above the dugouts.
The players are safe with at some fencing at most parks. Why not the fans?

Netting there will not interfere with any balls.
I will use the analogy of what happens in racing. Fences and other things in racing, you still have people that are killed because of something falling off a car. Now I have not heard of any fan killed in baseball because of a bat or ball flying into the stand. Even hockey that was several years ago. I think when you buy ticket to certain events; there is some reasonable risk that you take when you sit in certain seats or any seats for that matter. You can only put the netting so many places without obstructing the view of the field or playing area. And if you obstruct the area, then more people will stay home. I do not see this as a major problem as I saw even in the hockey situation because many people do not get hurt. And right or wrong that legal writing on the ticket takes some liability off the organizations because it is kind of a contract. Anyone can sue, but I think if you are going to have kids in an area where they can get hurt, then get different tickets. But in baseball that is hard considering all over the park someone can still come in contact with the baseball.

Peace
Old Sat May 29, 2010, 07:33pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Another Pitcher Goes Down.....

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | CLE@NYY: Huff struck in the head by an A-Rod liner - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
Old Sat May 29, 2010, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

I pretty sure ARod not using an aluminum bat so what's your point? You want a net for the pitcher?
Old Sat May 29, 2010, 08:40pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
I pretty sure ARod not using an aluminum bat so what's your point? You want a net for the pitcher?
Nope, not my intent at all.

If you start all the way back at the beginning of this thread we have discussed quite a bit about the velocity of balls hit with wood vs aluminum, discussed instances of HS, College and MLB pitchers getting hit (see post #2 and #4 for example), and posted other links.

I was merely posting the latest example of a pitcher getting hammered with a non-aluminum bat as I believed it to be germane to the discussion (plus interesting, terrible, and terrifying to watch).

I now return you to your regularly scheduled program.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 07:05pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Update

A pretty good 8 minute ESPN story on metal vs wooden bats and an injured a HS student.

OTL: Bat Debate - ESPN Video - ESPN
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

What irritates me the most is the bat manufacturers talking out both sides of their mouths. One minute, they say that their bats are the best and provide the most power, the next they say there is no difference between their bat and a wood bat.

Nothing nationally will happen the next couple of years with the new BBCOR specifications coming out except the manufacturers getting extremely rich as every college bat will need to be replaced next year and every high school bat replaced in 2012. In the least, I hope the goal to make these new bats more wood-like will be accomplished.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

How long before pitchers masks become mandatory? I see it coming. OTOH, I've personally seen (in softball) both a pitcher and a 3rd baseman struck on the mask hard, who still made the play and had no injury - without the masks, both would have been bleeding or concussed and likely out of the game.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jun 16, 2010, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Sad News Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I will use the analogy of what happens in racing. Fences and other things in racing, you still have people that are killed because of something falling off a car. Now I have not heard of any fan killed in baseball because of a bat or ball flying into the stand. Even hockey that was several years ago. I think when you buy ticket to certain events; there is some reasonable risk that you take when you sit in certain seats or any seats for that matter. You can only put the netting so many places without obstructing the view of the field or playing area. And if you obstruct the area, then more people will stay home. I do not see this as a major problem as I saw even in the hockey situation because many people do not get hurt. And right or wrong that legal writing on the ticket takes some liability off the organizations because it is kind of a contract. Anyone can sue, but I think if you are going to have kids in an area where they can get hurt, then get different tickets. But in baseball that is hard considering all over the park someone can still come in contact with the baseball.

Peace
Should be headline news in the morning. Accident took place at a MiLB game.
Reported on Fox 9pm tv news channel minutes ago.

Last edited by SAump; Wed Jun 16, 2010 at 09:32pm.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2010, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

The sensible thing would be to ban such events or activities that can lead to any injury. Period.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2010, 05:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ump25 View Post
the sensible thing would be to ban such events or activities that can lead to any injury. Period.
+1.
Old Thu Jul 29, 2010, 06:01am
9/11 - Never Forget

Update - Article from USATODAY

As injuries mount, debate over metal baseball bats continues - USATODAY.com

From the Article:

Moreover, both want to see improved safety measures in the youth game — Sandberg a return to wood-only bats, Schlesner the use of helmets by pitchers — for one common reason.

"We just don't want anyone to have to go through what we've been through," Sandberg says of his family, which lives 10 miles north of San Francisco, in words echoed by Schlesner, from just outside Cincinnati.
Old Thu Jul 29, 2010, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
As injuries mount, debate over metal baseball bats continues - USATODAY.com

From the Article:

Moreover, both want to see improved safety measures in the youth game — Sandberg a return to wood-only bats, Schlesner the use of helmets by pitchers — for one common reason.

"We just don't want anyone to have to go through what we've been through," Sandberg says of his family, which lives 10 miles north of San Francisco, in words echoed by Schlesner, from just outside Cincinnati.
sad story, but a dumb story because its nothing but speculation by the writers. No facts or anything to back up his claim that "metal bats caused the injuries"

Baseballs caused the injury, not the bat. But I do see wish the youth leagues would get on board with the bat standards. Some have done away with big barrels, but others still allow them. Some have a length/weight ratio and others do not.

I guess it will take a law suit before some of them make a change.

thanks
David
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

I personally think that all moral and just people should never rest until all baseball bats are made of balsa.