The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

I am not sure on which board I read about it, but didn't really believe it. I though an aluminum bat would dent or crack, but I never thought it would shatter in three pieces, with the top part going flying into the field, just like a wooden bat. At least not until tonight in a 15 y/o playoff game. We checked for cork,lol, but it was hollow. Makes you realize no matter how much you see, you never will see it all.

Ed H
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

I believe the problem is with the green, TPX Gen 1 bats.
I had one shatter in a summer collegiate game about 3 weeks ago.
I've not heard of any other models shattering except that model.

Freix

Old Mon Aug 11, 2003, 02:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Not sure of the make/modle but one shattered during a Clemson game in the Collage World Series.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Mon Aug 11, 2003, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Quote:
Originally posted by edhern
I am not sure on which board I read about it, but didn't really believe it. I though an aluminum bat would dent or crack, but I never thought it would shatter in three pieces, with the top part going flying into the field, just like a wooden bat. At least not until tonight in a 15 y/o playoff game. We checked for cork,lol, but it was hollow. Makes you realize no matter how much you see, you never will see it all.

Ed H
In April 1992 when my son played high school ball I saw an aluminum bat broken in half in NYC but the temperature was around 32 degrees at the time. Jim/NYC
Old Tue Aug 12, 2003, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

When my oldest son played Big League (LL), an aluminum bat broke in half, and the barrel landed about three feet from the shortstop who had frozen in his spot. This was in the early 70s. It was during the summer in Southern California, so it definitely wasn't from cold weather.

Bob
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

I saw a green Gen 1 aluminum bat break here (Chicago Suburbs) in late March. Game time temp was high 40's. I talked to the batter after the game and asked him where he hit it and he said right on the sweet spot.

Carol Stream, Illinois
NFHS
ASA
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

My daughter's practice bat broke in the batting cage. Sheared off just above the handle.

Worth offered to examine it and possibly replace it, but she wanted it for the bragging rights

-Kono
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Saw a Demarini, almost new, $300.00+ price tag break in half during FP softball game. 80 deg summer weather, girls dad almost cried, but I believe he got a warranty on it. Those broken pieces are very aerodynamic, this one flew over third baseman, missed her by 8"-10", and landed in left field. Ball didnt go that far!
Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

look at this

green gen

http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?U...id=98134267505
Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Green Gen1's

We must've seen a dozen of them shatter this spring and summer. No temperature dependence at all. To my knowledge we saw no other type of bat break in two. All of them looked just like the picture posted in the previous reply.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

the bats will dent and get stress cracks, and if you hit it on there they will break apart. bats arent made to last long, and when kids use them for batting practice that just takes away from the bat. you figure in BP you might get 12-15 cuts, and 4 other kids like the bat so they use it, and there in 1 day you have about 50 hits on the bat in 1 day. take live BP 3 days a week and you just hit around 150 balls with it not even including game usage. kids should use wood bats in BP and only use the aluminum in the game not only to make the bat last longer but also to keep other people from attributing to their bat breaking.
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Quote:
Originally posted by brian43
the bats will dent and get stress cracks, and if you hit it on there they will break apart. bats arent made to last long, and when kids use them for batting practice that just takes away from the bat. you figure in BP you might get 12-15 cuts, and 4 other kids like the bat so they use it, and there in 1 day you have about 50 hits on the bat in 1 day. take live BP 3 days a week and you just hit around 150 balls with it not even including game usage. kids should use wood bats in BP and only use the aluminum in the game not only to make the bat last longer but also to keep other people from attributing to their bat breaking.
Interesting point about bats and batting practice. My son was a pretty serious ballplayer. I remember whenever we went to a batting range he had another older bat that he used in the cages rather than his "game bat".