The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 28, 2010, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Balk?

I know the answer to this, but just to be sure:

R2. RH F1 has come set. In one motion, F1 steps back with the pivot foot (toward second) and throws the ball to F6 for a pick-off. This is the same "goofy footed" throw that we all made when we were 2 or 3 or 4 and just learning to throw.

Balk?
Old Wed Jul 28, 2010, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

As long as he disengages the pitcher's plate, which it appears that he does from your description, then no balk. Same as a LHP disengaging and throwing to 1B without stepping toward the base.
Old Wed Jul 28, 2010, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

R2. RH F1 has come set. In one motion, F1 steps back with the pivot foot (toward second) and throws the ball to F6 for a pick-off. This is the same "goofy footed" throw that we all made when we were 2 or 3 or 4 and just learning to throw.

Balk?
Technically a balk. If he separates his hands before disengaging, it's a balk. When you say "in one motion," I take your meaning to be that he has done just that.

Shields of the TB Rays got balked not long ago for a flawed jump-turn because he separated his hands before beginning the jump-turn. Not quite the same mistake, since your case involves improperly disengaging and his was improperly stepping-and-throwing.

The only legitimate argument for not balking this move is that at most levels of amateur ball we're not too picky about the timing of a quick step off and separating the hands.
Old Wed Jul 28, 2010, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Balk. The pitcher had not disengaged with the pitcher's plate before he separated his hands therefore he is required to make distance and direction with his non-pivot foot. From the explanation, it appears to me that his non-pivot foot did not make distance and direction.

-Josh
Old Wed Jul 28, 2010, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Ahem

Quote:
" . . . it appears to me that his non-pivot foot did not make distance and direction."
Not quite right.

When he separates he then balks for failing to deliver the pitch to the plate. It is also an illegal disengagement. The only thing it isn't is distance and direction.

Small difference.

T

Last edited by Tim C; Wed Jul 28, 2010 at 03:30pm.
Old Wed Jul 28, 2010, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
When he separates he then balks for failing to deliver the pitch to the plate.
Right: when the hands separating is the first motion, the pitcher must pitch to the batter.

If he's going to do one of the two other legal things, namely step and throw to a base or disengage, he must do those before separating his hands.
Old Wed Jul 28, 2010, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

Balk?
Ok, I give up. Where has Bob stated that he separated his hands.

Granted if he did, Balk. But !!!!!!!??
Old Wed Jul 28, 2010, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Ok, I give up. Where has Bob stated that he separated his hands.

Granted if he did, Balk. But !!!!!!!??
It would be difficult to throw without separating your hands, wouldn't it?

-Josh
Old Wed Jul 28, 2010, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

As long as the pitcher is seperating his hands while stepping off, all one motion, there is no balk. If there are two distinct actions, first the seperation of hands, then the step, balk.
Old Thu Jul 29, 2010, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
It would be difficult to throw without separating your hands, wouldn't it?

-Josh
Ya Think?

Maybe he underhanded it with both hands or let it roll out of his hands and as it reached his foot, kicked it to F6, all "in one motion."

I will restate my original reply for the mentally challanged here.

"Ok, I give up. Where has Bob stated when he separated his hands"
Old Thu Jul 29, 2010, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
I will restate my original reply for the mentally challanged here.

"Ok, I give up. Where has Bob stated when he separated his hands"
"the same "goofy footed" throw that we all made when we were 2 or 3 or 4 and just learning to throw."

So, if we reviewed the super-slo-mo video, we'd see:

1) right foot comes up, hands separate, right hand comes up
2) body twists clockwise
3) right foot and hand move toward second base
4) right foot steps toward second as ball is released from right hand
Old Thu Jul 29, 2010, 07:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 View Post
As long as the pitcher is seperating his hands while stepping off, all one motion, there is no balk. If there are two distinct actions, first the seperation of hands, then the step, balk.
I'd say it's likely that this is what happened in Bob's OP or he would've balked it pretty quickly.
Old Thu Jul 29, 2010, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

I have a balk. The pivot foot must land first before the hands come apart. FED specifies this exactly. OBR just says step. It's hard to judge this with LHP step off and throw to 1B or a RHP step off and throw to 3B and they get away with pushing it. But this move to 2B I would balk because the foot didn't land before the hands came apart. The step is actually part of the throwing motion.
Old Thu Jul 29, 2010, 12:01pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
I have a balk. The pivot foot must land first before the hands come apart. FED specifies this exactly. OBR just says step. It's hard to judge this with LHP step off and throw to 1B or a RHP step off and throw to 3B and they get away with pushing it. But this move to 2B I would balk because the foot didn't land before the hands came apart. The step is actually part of the throwing motion.
Yes, but how many times have you called it or seen it called. It all happens in such a split second.
Old Thu Jul 29, 2010, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Yes, but how many times have you called it or seen it called. It all happens in such a split second.
I've seen it called and I've called it. Everyone has their own perception and interpretation of what is acceptable in these situations. You can philosophical have arguments about this situation all day but you have to realize that what is specified by rule is not necessarily what is acceptably called in your game.

-Josh