The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

OBR 8.02 (licking fingers on mound)

As a new umpire, please tell me when to expect the new rule change for OBR 8.02 (hand to mouth on the mound) to be in writing, and should I start enforcing it now or wait until it is in writing?
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

You should ask your league for advice so that all umpires are consistent in the enforcement.

If it were up to me, I'd begin enforcing it now.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

What is the change?
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

According to MLB.TV this morning, a pitcher may now lick his fingers while on the mound (but not on the plate) provided he visibly wipes his fingers off before stepping on the plate.
The rule on MLB's OBR site still reads the old way (no going to mouth while inside 18' circle surrounding the pitchers plate).
Wendlestadt's site shows the rule change for the 2010 season.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
According to MLB.TV this morning, a pitcher may now lick his fingers while on the mound (but not on the plate) provided he visibly wipes his fingers off before stepping on the plate.
The rule on MLB's OBR site still reads the old way (no going to mouth while inside 18' circle surrounding the pitchers plate).
Wendlestadt's site shows the rule change for the 2010 season.
And I still insist that if we enforce the 2010 "speed up rule" for finger licking, we are going to get into a $hitstorm because it differs from the rule book. You know, the rulebook that the coach has access to!
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
And I still insist that if we enforce the 2010 "speed up rule" for finger licking, we are going to get into a $hitstorm because it differs from the rule book. You know, the rulebook that the coach has access to!
Coaches have access to the 2009 rulebooks. This is 2010 and the rules have been updated. Just because the books are not released yet doesn't mean that the rules are not in effect. There are many interpretations that are not in any "official" manual, but are accepted and enforced. There are errors and discrepencies in the rule book, yet we deal with those as needed. I do not see the problem with printing out the rule changes and have it with you along with the old rulebook until the new one is out.

FWIW, if a coach decides to cause a "$hitstorm" over this issue, it will be a very short lived "$hitstorm".
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 View Post
Coaches have access to the 2009 rulebooks. This is 2010 and the rules have been updated. Just because the books are not released yet doesn't mean that the rules are not in effect. There are many interpretations that are not in any "official" manual, but are accepted and enforced. There are errors and discrepencies in the rule book, yet we deal with those as needed. I do not see the problem with printing out the rule changes and have it with you along with the old rulebook until the new one is out.

FWIW, if a coach decides to cause a "$hitstorm" over this issue, it will be a very short lived "$hitstorm".
Yeah, but usually the temas are told about rule changes, even though the books are not out. That was apparently not the case with this rule change.

Florida Marlins : Florida Marlins: Josh Johnson told to watch his mouth; Derrick Turnbow done? | Sun-Sentinel.com
Old Sun Apr 25, 2010, 12:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump View Post
Yeah, but usually the temas are told about rule changes, even though the books are not out. That was apparently not the case with this rule change.

Florida Marlins : Florida Marlins: Josh Johnson told to watch his mouth; Derrick Turnbow done? | Sun-Sentinel.com
It is my understanding from what I've read on the subject that every team was told about this during spring training. Perhaps the Marlins were not paying attention when they went over the new rule.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Apr 25, 2010, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
The rules on the MLB site don't have the 2009 changes either.
Old Sun Apr 25, 2010, 02:19pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
That coach has access to all of the interps we do from MLB and Wendelstedt's site as well. As long as all of the league umpires are on the same page he has nothing to complain about.
It would behoove league officials to issue that "notice in writing" to all of the coaches in that league.

JJ