The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   OBR 8.02 (licking fingers on mound) (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/57738-obr-8-02-licking-fingers-mound.html)

rbmartin Tue Mar 30, 2010 05:58am

OBR 8.02 (licking fingers on mound)

As a new umpire, please tell me when to expect the new rule change for OBR 8.02 (hand to mouth on the mound) to be in writing, and should I start enforcing it now or wait until it is in writing?

bob jenkins Tue Mar 30, 2010 06:54am

You should ask your league for advice so that all umpires are consistent in the enforcement.

If it were up to me, I'd begin enforcing it now.

JR12 Tue Mar 30, 2010 04:16pm

What is the change?

rbmartin Tue Mar 30, 2010 07:40pm

According to MLB.TV this morning, a pitcher may now lick his fingers while on the mound (but not on the plate) provided he visibly wipes his fingers off before stepping on the plate.
The rule on MLB's OBR site still reads the old way (no going to mouth while inside 18' circle surrounding the pitchers plate).
Wendlestadt's site shows the rule change for the 2010 season.

ozzy6900 Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbmartin (Post 671724)
According to MLB.TV this morning, a pitcher may now lick his fingers while on the mound (but not on the plate) provided he visibly wipes his fingers off before stepping on the plate.
The rule on MLB's OBR site still reads the old way (no going to mouth while inside 18' circle surrounding the pitchers plate).
Wendlestadt's site shows the rule change for the 2010 season.

And I still insist that if we enforce the 2010 "speed up rule" for finger licking, we are going to get into a $hitstorm because it differs from the rule book. You know, the rulebook that the coach has access to!

UmpTTS43 Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 671860)
And I still insist that if we enforce the 2010 "speed up rule" for finger licking, we are going to get into a $hitstorm because it differs from the rule book. You know, the rulebook that the coach has access to!

Coaches have access to the 2009 rulebooks. This is 2010 and the rules have been updated. Just because the books are not released yet doesn't mean that the rules are not in effect. There are many interpretations that are not in any "official" manual, but are accepted and enforced. There are errors and discrepencies in the rule book, yet we deal with those as needed. I do not see the problem with printing out the rule changes and have it with you along with the old rulebook until the new one is out.

FWIW, if a coach decides to cause a "$hitstorm" over this issue, it will be a very short lived "$hitstorm".

lawump Wed Mar 31, 2010 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 (Post 671865)
Coaches have access to the 2009 rulebooks. This is 2010 and the rules have been updated. Just because the books are not released yet doesn't mean that the rules are not in effect. There are many interpretations that are not in any "official" manual, but are accepted and enforced. There are errors and discrepencies in the rule book, yet we deal with those as needed. I do not see the problem with printing out the rule changes and have it with you along with the old rulebook until the new one is out.

FWIW, if a coach decides to cause a "$hitstorm" over this issue, it will be a very short lived "$hitstorm".

Yeah, but usually the temas are told about rule changes, even though the books are not out. That was apparently not the case with this rule change.

Florida Marlins : Florida Marlins: Josh Johnson told to watch his mouth; Derrick Turnbow done? | Sun-Sentinel.com

SanDiegoSteve Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawump (Post 671922)
Yeah, but usually the temas are told about rule changes, even though the books are not out. That was apparently not the case with this rule change.

Florida Marlins : Florida Marlins: Josh Johnson told to watch his mouth; Derrick Turnbow done? | Sun-Sentinel.com

It is my understanding from what I've read on the subject that every team was told about this during spring training. Perhaps the Marlins were not paying attention when they went over the new rule.

Rich Ives Sun Apr 25, 2010 01:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbmartin (Post 671724)

The rules on the MLB site don't have the 2009 changes either.

JJ Sun Apr 25, 2010 02:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 671860)

That coach has access to all of the interps we do from MLB and Wendelstedt's site as well. As long as all of the league umpires are on the same page he has nothing to complain about.
It would behoove league officials to issue that "notice in writing" to all of the coaches in that league.

JJ