The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Let's take a trip..

to the third world. A friend posed a 3rd world play to me the other night, and I have to admit I honestly don't know the correct response. - Any rule set -

Runners on 1st and 2nd. D coach gets time to converse with his infield. While that's happening, O coach talks to his runners and batter. After it's all over, play is resumed with R2 and R3. No one notices (umpires, coaches, Mom...no one). The batter gets a base hit and scores both runners. Then the D coachs realizes what happened and approaches for a resolution. What do you do?

I have a feeling that there will be a coach not participating in the remainder of the game.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

I would treat this as similar to the play where the coach tells the runners to switch bases in order to move the faster runner into scoring position.

Call time. Eject the coach and the runners for unsporting conduct. Put a sub in for the runner who was formerly R1 and put him back on 2B, score the one who was R2, and leave the BR on 1B (they all reached base legitimately).

Somebody here will want some outs called, but the defense earned none and the offensive cheating prevented none.

Next batter.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Eject the coach fo sure.

Players? Depends on their age. Little guys? Naw. They're just following orders from an idiot adult.

Now if you had R1 at third, and R2 at second, THEN you've got an out, when you put it in play. Hey, sometimes you've got to be creative to get outs when coaches try this stuff. This may just be how you remembered it, before the ball was hit.

Yup, R1 passed R2, as soon as the ball was put in play. R1 is out, score R2, eject the coach, and anyone else who wishes to argue with you about it.

That would be fun.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 11:06pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I would treat this as similar to the play where the coach tells the runners to switch bases in order to move the faster runner into scoring position.

Call time. Eject the coach and the runners for unsporting conduct. Put a sub in for the runner who was formerly R1 and put him back on 2B, score the one who was R2, and leave the BR on 1B (they all reached base legitimately).

Somebody here will want some outs called, but the defense earned none and the offensive cheating prevented none.

Next batter.
Your theory is flawed. Shame on the umpire (PU or BU) who is so inattentive he doesn't know the situation when there is a short stoppage in play. Keep your head in the game next time.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Next batter.
Yep.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Sounds good

Quote:

Next batter.
I would ditto that. Makes sense.

Thanks
David
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Your theory is flawed. Shame on the umpire (PU or BU) who is so inattentive he doesn't know the situation when there is a short stoppage in play. Keep your head in the game next time.
I don't see the correlation. What does a brain fart have to do with his theory? His theory sounds logical and well thought out to me. Yes, we should be attentive to the situation, location of runners etc. However, that wasn't the point of my question. And keep in mind - no one said it happened. It was, as stated, a third world play.

mbyron - I hadn't thought of it that way.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
mbyron's "theory" is excellent. It is your [implied] "theory" [namely, that if the umpire notices the shenanigans before any further advance takes place, there is a no-penalty do-over] which is inadequate.

Yeah, I'm probably gonna notice before I put the ball in play; and when I do, the same people are gonna cease being participants in tonight's contest.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlue View Post
mbyron - I hadn't thought of it that way.
How were you thinking of it? I've thought of some variations, such as putting the runners (or their subs) back on their bases, awarding the batter 1B, and moving the runners up because they're forced to advance by the award. Takes both runs off the board that way.

Depending on the quality of the batter's base hit, this solution might be superior.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How were you thinking of it?
I couldn't make anything make sense, and I just stopped trying to figure it out - if we're being honest about it.

When he asked me, I said, "Well, hell, I don't know" He said, "Well it might just happen in this game, so pay attention." Then he jogged to first base. Jackass

Nothing jumped up quite as simple, nor as easy, as your solution.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

I stopped reading when I got to:

"No one notices (umpires, coaches, Mom...no one). "
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
I stopped reading when I got to:

"No one notices (umpires, coaches, Mom...no one). "
Your choice. Although, you have a good grasp of the rules and I'd be interested to know your take on the sitch.

I had to add that because it seems like someone's mother notices everything
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

I'm thinking I got time, both runners and coach are ejected for unsportsman like conduct, put the batter back to the plate with two new baserunners, I'm not going to allow a run for cheating, with at least a 0-1 count.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue View Post
I'm thinking I got time, both runners and coach are ejected for unsportsman like conduct, put the batter back to the plate with two new baserunners, I'm not going to allow a run for cheating, with at least a 0-1 count.
By what rule will you take away the batter's hit? Nothing illegal about the hit.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlue View Post
Your choice. Although, you have a good grasp of the rules and I'd be interested to know your take on the sitch.

I had to add that because it seems like someone's mother notices everything
Toss the manager.

If the players are over 10 toss the players. Put the subs back where they should be.

Do a do-over. Ball was illegally put in play because the runners were not on their legal base (9.01(c) adaptation of 5.09(e))