The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 04:16am
Official Forum Member

"...I just downloaded it to my hard drive, opened that saved file with Adobe, and it still says the file is copy protected."

I also did the same a couple of weeks ago and now have copies of the Fed 2010 Rule Book and Case Book on my hard drive for quick viewing. However, copying and pasting from those copies is not available as (I believe) software is in place to prevent that. Yes, it would have been nice to have those features so that I could easily cite a rule or case verbatim in a post.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Oddly, the baseball books seem to be the only ones that do not allow copy & paste. Ever since they started putting these rule books on-line (has it been four or five years now?) they were always copyable. Not so for the 2010 edition.

The softball, basketball, football and soccer books all can be copied. This makes me wonder: If the security settings for the baseball books just happened to be that way by default when they were uploaded, and; If these were purposely posted with the security settings that way, what the reasoning for that would be.

Then again, rhyme and reason have not always been FED strong points.

As a side note, they are kind enough to include the Umpire Manual for the softball folks. I don't believe that they ever have included the Baseball Umpire Manual among the offerings. And for the people that always say the FED baseball umpire manual is a waste of paper, I'll point out that publishing it electronically would waste no paper!
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
I'll point out that publishing it electronically would waste no paper!
True, but it's so bad it's even a waste of electrons.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 08:34am
Stop staring at me swan.

Copy paste is a nice feature...it's one of the benefits of having an electronic version. Odd that it doesn't work. In Adobe, I'm sure you're all selecting the cursor and not the hand tool to be able to select your text...that might be an issue
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

I'm using the cursor as the select tool. The text does become highlighted, but when you attempt to copy what's been selected, by right-clicking on the selected text, the menu that pops up doesn't even offer "copy" as an option.

The security settings on the document also say that the file cannot be copied.

Maybe you just happened to download the book before someone at NFHS changed the security settings.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Since I have had several members of my umpire association tell me that the 2010 FED test has been posted on-line (illegally), I can see why NFHS may be getting aggressive in protecting their copyrighted material.

(And, no, I do not know where on-line it is posted and I have not gone looking for it. But, yes, I have seen the entire test as I have already taken it.)
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 08:17pm
Stop staring at me swan.

With today's technology, as long as they're still sending paper copies, "protecting" the test is tougher than ever. Personally, I guess I'm not seeing the big deal with the test being out there or the answers for that matter...anybody who's going to cheat on a rules test that we all should know is going to find a way to do it anyway...if they really want to prevent it, go after some of the "cheaters" and suspend their license for a season...the word will travel fast. Otherwise, FED shouldn't worry about something that nearly public domain in baseball america...as long as nobody is selling their material...let it ride.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 08:45pm
Stop staring at me swan.

FWIW I tried the softball version today and was able to copy...I didn't even try to right-click though, I just went to "Edit" and copy and it worked fine. What's up w/ baseball I wonder?
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 09:44pm
Stop staring at me swan.

sorry for the multiple posts on this thread...don't mean to hijack so this will be my last one...but I was able to copy and paste from the baseball 2010 casebook on a version that I downloaded 2 minutes ago...so it is possible...not sure why I'm able to and not others?
Old Sun Feb 07, 2010, 02:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
True, but it's so bad it's even a waste of electrons.
And bandwidth.

To help in the copy/paste confusion: What version of Adobe Reader are you all using? I'm wondering if different versions are treating the file differently.