The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 25, 2002, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

This post is a continuation to brandda's latest post about umpire conduct at the LLWS. After reading brandda and greymules response to that thread I have to say, lighten up!! Actually, their responses to that post reminded me of one of my favorite movies, "Patch Adams". The reason why I like that movie so much is because I work in the medical field as an RN. The movie touched on topics like superiority, transference, and personal distance, all of which a few of you think we as umpires should display at all times.
Most if not all of the participants who play the game of baseball know who is in charge and for those who forget, well, that's when we as umpires either remind, confine or eject. I know this all comes down to our own unique personalities as to whether or not we like to talk to the players or coaches. This morning on ESPN I saw the highlight of the LLWS umpire who was, along with the mascot, playing a guitar while hopping on one foot in a circle to the beat of the music. First of all because of his age, he wasn't someone you would normally think would do something like that and secondly, if I was one of the coaches, his antics would not have led me to believe that he was a pushover. He was just having fun and not embarrasing his family or his profession.
I live near the Class A affiliate of the Florida Marlins (Kane County Cougars). I think it is rather entertaining when the ump shakes his "bon bon" to Ricky Martin or is personalyy involved with the antics of the San Diego Chicken. Sometimes, and unbeknownst to the fans, the home plate ump is replaced with a look-a-like that obviously has had some kind of formal dance training.
The end result of this display is that the ump appears to be human. I know all of you who are reading this right now have been to see a doctor. Ponder these thoughts/questions for a moment....Have you ever compared your doctor's personality to a stick? Do they ever seem to be stuck on themselves? Do they have a holier-than-thou attitude? Do they ever seem to talk above you or give you the impression that you are beneath them?
Now let me ask you this. Do you want to be thought of like that? Personally, I don't but maybe that's just me.
Anyway, one last thought I have is that the time between innings is for everyone to relax, go to the bathroom, have a smoke, get some food, sing a song, stretch, visit with friends, etc. Why can't the ump relax during that time too and in turn help everyone else relax as well.

BTW - nothing against doctors. OK, I do have a few grudges against doctors (like they don't know everything, ESPECIALLY about nutrition) but I also know that, like umpiring, not all doctors are created equal. There are some great doctors out there and if any of you double as umpires I'd much rather work with you on the field than in the hospital.
Old Sun Aug 25, 2002, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
This morning on ESPN I saw the highlight of the LLWS umpire who was, along with the mascot, playing a guitar while hopping on one foot in a circle to the beat of the music.

That is one of the devices intentionally used by LL. It isn't just an umpire getting funky with a giant rodent. The whole purpose is to deflate the obvious tension that builds at one of these huge contests. They get the players dancing, the umpires dancing, the managers dancing, they bring out a little child to run the bases with the mascot, they do a lot to make the atmosphere more relaxed and fun. And I think they do a superior job.
Old Sun Aug 25, 2002, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by spots101

This post is a continuation to brandda's latest post about umpire conduct at the LLWS. After reading brandda and greymules response to that thread I have to say, lighten up!!

We all have our own opinions and the bottom line is

We are all different and umpiring should be fun. If it's FUN for Brandda and Greymule the way they umpire than that works for them, however, it doesn't work for me and some others.

I have no problem with the "show" and actually think it's a good idea. The minor league umpires at least the ones who are doing "A" ball are encouraged and are becoming "part of the show".

My disagreement with Brandda and Greymule is that just because an umpire participates in the "show" doesn't take away from his / her ability to control a game which if I'm reading their posts correctly is THEIR concern.

Unsportsmanlike Behavior is VASTLY different from being part of the "show" AS far as the umpire dancing etc. My kids enjoy it and I have no problem with it. As I mentioned in another thread I took my kids to see the Hudson Valley Renegades a class "A" affiliate of the Devil Rays in which the PU not only did a dance but did a split ala cheerleaders as well and received a standing Ovation. It didn't take away from his ability to call Balls/ Strikes and Control the game.

For too long now Umpires have had this Stoic (robotic) image and I think it's a good thing for people to see we are human as well.

As far as your comments about the Medical Profession goes IMO in a way you are comparing Apples to Oranges. A Surgeon who operates on people in order to keep their sanity is forced to be on the coldish side It must be very difficult to lose a patient.

Generally speaking one's family Doctor does have what is called bedside manners but a Surgeon normally doesn't for obvious reasons.

Pete Booth
Old Mon Aug 26, 2002, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Thoughtful comments, and I agree to some extent. I do not believe that umpires who dance with mascots are unsportsmanlike (and I never said anything of the kind), and I don't think that such antics necessarily detract from their ability to control the game. But those things are not for me, and I wouldn't umpire where I was expected, as part of a "show," to participate.

I find it telling that spots101 thought the character of Patch Adams appealing. So did many people, including, obviously, Robin Williams and the producers of the movie. But I saw Patch Adams as an annoying, facetious, self-indulgent a$$, and my sympathies were entirely with the physicians who opposed him. Good bedside manner is important, even crucial, but in my view, gratuitously dressing up like an angel for a terminal patient is crass.

I don't believe that an umpire has to be stoic and robotic. I talk to players; I laugh about things that happen during the game; I say, "Nice play," quietly. But just as when I taught high school for a while 30 years ago, I feel better keeping a certain professional distance. For me, that distance is greater than it is for others.

I don't believe it's a matter of "lightening up." We all have our own distinct personalities, and we have to umpire in a way that's comfortable for ourselves.
Old Mon Aug 26, 2002, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Greymule, I don't expect my comments to change who you are nor would I want them to. Like we said, we have our own unique personalities.
On a side note....as annoying, crass, self-indulgent and facetious Mr. Adams was to you his antics were to the benefit of the patients in that (according to the movie) the need for medications decreased dramatically via laughter in that hospital and in our current drug-happy society, we could certainly use a change like that. Even his annoying, crass, self-indulgent and facetious roommate Mitch eventually realized the need for his antics. My apologies for getting off the umpire topic.