View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 25, 2002, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

This post is a continuation to brandda's latest post about umpire conduct at the LLWS. After reading brandda and greymules response to that thread I have to say, lighten up!! Actually, their responses to that post reminded me of one of my favorite movies, "Patch Adams". The reason why I like that movie so much is because I work in the medical field as an RN. The movie touched on topics like superiority, transference, and personal distance, all of which a few of you think we as umpires should display at all times.
Most if not all of the participants who play the game of baseball know who is in charge and for those who forget, well, that's when we as umpires either remind, confine or eject. I know this all comes down to our own unique personalities as to whether or not we like to talk to the players or coaches. This morning on ESPN I saw the highlight of the LLWS umpire who was, along with the mascot, playing a guitar while hopping on one foot in a circle to the beat of the music. First of all because of his age, he wasn't someone you would normally think would do something like that and secondly, if I was one of the coaches, his antics would not have led me to believe that he was a pushover. He was just having fun and not embarrasing his family or his profession.
I live near the Class A affiliate of the Florida Marlins (Kane County Cougars). I think it is rather entertaining when the ump shakes his "bon bon" to Ricky Martin or is personalyy involved with the antics of the San Diego Chicken. Sometimes, and unbeknownst to the fans, the home plate ump is replaced with a look-a-like that obviously has had some kind of formal dance training.
The end result of this display is that the ump appears to be human. I know all of you who are reading this right now have been to see a doctor. Ponder these thoughts/questions for a moment....Have you ever compared your doctor's personality to a stick? Do they ever seem to be stuck on themselves? Do they have a holier-than-thou attitude? Do they ever seem to talk above you or give you the impression that you are beneath them?
Now let me ask you this. Do you want to be thought of like that? Personally, I don't but maybe that's just me.
Anyway, one last thought I have is that the time between innings is for everyone to relax, go to the bathroom, have a smoke, get some food, sing a song, stretch, visit with friends, etc. Why can't the ump relax during that time too and in turn help everyone else relax as well.

BTW - nothing against doctors. OK, I do have a few grudges against doctors (like they don't know everything, ESPECIALLY about nutrition) but I also know that, like umpiring, not all doctors are created equal. There are some great doctors out there and if any of you double as umpires I'd much rather work with you on the field than in the hospital.