View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 25, 2002, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by spots101

This post is a continuation to brandda's latest post about umpire conduct at the LLWS. After reading brandda and greymules response to that thread I have to say, lighten up!!

We all have our own opinions and the bottom line is

We are all different and umpiring should be fun. If it's FUN for Brandda and Greymule the way they umpire than that works for them, however, it doesn't work for me and some others.

I have no problem with the "show" and actually think it's a good idea. The minor league umpires at least the ones who are doing "A" ball are encouraged and are becoming "part of the show".

My disagreement with Brandda and Greymule is that just because an umpire participates in the "show" doesn't take away from his / her ability to control a game which if I'm reading their posts correctly is THEIR concern.

Unsportsmanlike Behavior is VASTLY different from being part of the "show" AS far as the umpire dancing etc. My kids enjoy it and I have no problem with it. As I mentioned in another thread I took my kids to see the Hudson Valley Renegades a class "A" affiliate of the Devil Rays in which the PU not only did a dance but did a split ala cheerleaders as well and received a standing Ovation. It didn't take away from his ability to call Balls/ Strikes and Control the game.

For too long now Umpires have had this Stoic (robotic) image and I think it's a good thing for people to see we are human as well.

As far as your comments about the Medical Profession goes IMO in a way you are comparing Apples to Oranges. A Surgeon who operates on people in order to keep their sanity is forced to be on the coldish side It must be very difficult to lose a patient.

Generally speaking one's family Doctor does have what is called bedside manners but a Surgeon normally doesn't for obvious reasons.

Pete Booth