The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 09:18am
I hate Illinois Nazis

Thanks. Do you guys think it is a waste to talk about the two pumps and rotations. No pitchers do that these days, right?
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapopez View Post
Thanks. Do you guys think it is a waste to talk about the two pumps and rotations. No pitchers do that these days, right?
If it were me, I'd quickly review the rules and mechanics of balks and then focus on the 6 or 7 most common ones. Demonstrate those so that your trainees will recognize them when they see them.

Also be sure to explain why the jump step and jab step are legal moves, why it's impossible to balk to 2B, and the rule about throwing to an unoccupied base. That will help prevent your trainees from calling legal moves a balk.

I don't recall whether you mentioned a time limit, but just doing that much will take an hour or more.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Lapopez,

I had to make these adjustments about balks when I crossed over from Babe Ruth BB (OBR) to high school BB (Fed):

Here are two actions that are not balks in FED but are in OBR:

(1) F1 while in the stretch prior to bringing his hands together is allowed to abruptly and quickly turn his shoulder toward first to drive back a runner (as long as there is no significant arm movement). This would be a balk in OBR. 2009 Fed CB 6.1.1(J)

(2) F1 is allowed to throw (or feint a throw) to an unoccupied 2nd base even if a runner at first just feints an advance to 2nd. This would be a balk in OBR. Fed Rule 6.2.4(b) & Fed CB 6.2.4(A)

Now here is an action that is a balk in Fed but not OBR:

F1 must come to stop with both hands together level with the chin or below. Anywhere wholly above the chin is regarded as a balk. However, in OBR F1 can bring his hands together and stop above his head, at his forehead, etc. Rule 6.1.3 & CB 6.1.3(M) & CB 6.1.3 (N)
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
Now here is an action that is a balk in Fed but not OBR:

F1 must come to stop with both hands together level with the chin or below. Anywhere wholly above the chin is regarded as a balk. However, in OBR F1 can bring his hands together and stop above his head, at his forehead, etc. Rule 6.1.3 & CB 6.1.3(M) & CB 6.1.3 (N)
Here are two more:

Stepping and throwing to a base from the windup position.

Not coming to a full stop from the stretch with nobody on base (by rule, an illegal pitch (ball) although I don't know anyone who would call that).

Last edited by dash_riprock; Wed Jan 13, 2010 at 07:51pm.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

"...Not coming to a full stop from the stretch with nobody on base (by rule, an illegal pitch (ball) although I don't know anyone who would call that)..."

Dash, I'm sure most everyone would agree with you on that unless it were a quick pitch...
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 07:55pm
I hate Illinois Nazis

Related to these last few posts...I see this often: A pitcher, pitching from the set, comes to his set before the batter is ready, maybe even before the batter get's back in the box after a swing. I can't say it's a quick pitch. He may give the batter plenty of time to get ready and more time after he is ready. I usually make the pitcher restart and come set after the batter is ready. But is this by rule?
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Related to these last few posts...I see this often: A pitcher, pitching from the set, comes to his set before the batter is ready, maybe even before the batter get's back in the box after a swing. I can't say it's a quick pitch. He may give the batter plenty of time to get ready and more time after he is ready. I usually make the pitcher restart and come set after the batter is ready. But is this by rule?
While it is bad pitching mechanics to come set before the batter is ready, as long as F1 does not pitch to the batter until both feet (of the batter) are in the box, there is no violation. Once the batter puts both his feet in the box, F1 can technically pitch the ball.

If F1 is coming set before the batter is in the box, F1 has to remain motionless unless he pitches (violation) or steps off. Which brings me to another point. Why are you "resetting" anything here? Why are you preventing a possible balk by F1 not keeping still? What you are doing is not preventative umpiring, you are medaling with the game here! If F1 pitches too soon, that is a quick pitch and a violation with an award. If F1 balks, that is a violation and an award. You are an umpire, not a coach!

I have been reading this thread and it is obvious that you do not really understand FED rules nor do you understand balks. This takes time, experience and study which is fine. What I do not understand is why you are presenting this to anyone (with your limited knowledge). Maybe I missed something somewhere but it seems that you are holding a class or clinic which means that those you are instructing will be walking away with more question or worse, have the wrong answers! Please forgive me if I am misunderstanding here.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 07:12am
I hate Illinois Nazis

Thanks for your opinion. I will reconsider resetting the pitcher in this situation in the future. However, while I find it necessary for both of the batter's feet to be in the box before the pitcher pitches, I do not find that to be a sufficient indication that the batter is ready.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
While it is bad pitching mechanics to come set before the batter is ready, as long as F1 does not pitch to the batter until both feet (of the batter) are in the box, there is no violation. Once the batter puts both his feet in the box, F1 can technically pitch the ball.
If the pitcher is deliberately trying to catch the batter off guard, it is a quick pitch even if the batter has both feet in the box.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for your opinion. I will reconsider resetting the pitcher in this situation in the future. However, while I find it necessary for both of the batter's feet to be in the box before the pitcher pitches, I do not find that to be a sufficient indication that the batter is ready.
You are correct. Do not let the quick pitch happen. If the pitcher starts his delivery when the batter is not looking at him, call time, and be loud about it. Bark at the pitcher: "Wait 'til he's looking at you!"

You can't call a quick pitch (because the pitch wasn't delivered), but you can prevent a situation where the pitcher throws a pitch when the batter isn't looking, only to have him look up just in time to see a fastball 6" from his face with no time to react.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
you are correct. Do not let the quick pitch happen. If the pitcher starts his delivery when the batter is not looking at him, call time, and be loud about it. Bark at the pitcher: "wait 'til he's looking at you!"

you can't call a quick pitch (because the pitch wasn't delivered), but you can prevent a situation where the pitcher throws a pitch when the batter isn't looking, only to have him look up just in time to see a fastball 6" from his face with no time to react.
+1
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Stop it before it happens. Tell the catcher not to give signs until the batter is ready. (And, by the same token, be sure the batter is not delaying.)
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 10:10am
I hate Illinois Nazis

Well, today is the day

Thank you to all who contributed. I appreciate the insights. Notwithstanding Ozzy's comments, even before this thread, I was not worried about the material. I'm a little nervous about the public speaking part though. I will present the material and I have an assistant that will demonstrate. My audience will probably be 50/50 coaches and umpires. I believe I have come up with a very nice handout summarizing the pertinent FED rules followed by a list of 25 examples. Eventually I'd like to convert this to a Powerpoint presentation and incorporate the differences with OBR.

Thanks again.