The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   2010 Fed Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/56348-2010-fed-baseball.html)

cookie Thu Jan 14, 2010 03:39am

Thanks UmpJim for refreshing my memory.

I'm on the website now, and though not specifically stated as the "gorilla arm", moreso described as the hanging arm, it is mentioned in the 2010 Case Book (6.1.3P), not as I had "misremembered" it as the Rule book. The CB play is asterisked, indicating it has been entered as new this year.

Here it is:

*6.1.3 Situation P: With a runner on first, Team A right-handed pitcher is in the set position, bent at the waist and his pitching arm naturally hangs down slightly in front or to the side away from his body. As he looks to the catcher for a signal, a) the pitcher's arm is stationary or b) the pitching arm rocks slightly from side to side. RULING: In a), the position of the arm is natural and can be considered by his side in meeting the rule. Any movement would then start the pitch. In b), any movement of the arm is considered the start of the pitching motion and a pitch must be delivered to the plate so this motion results in a balk.

Also, Lapopez, you mentioned that you "downloaded" the 2010 Rule Book. How do you do that? I can't even "copy and paste" an excerpt from either the rule book or the case book! Instead, I have to write it out by hand. Let me know the trick...

dash_riprock Thu Jan 14, 2010 08:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie (Post 651425)
Thanks UmpJim for refreshing my memory.

I'm on the website now, and though not specifically stated as the "gorilla arm", moreso described as the hanging arm, it is mentioned in the 2010 Case Book (6.1.3P), not as I had "misremembered" it as the Rule book. The CB play is asterisked, indicating it has been entered as new this year.

Here it is:

*6.1.3 Situation P: With a runner on first, Team A right-handed pitcher is in the set position, bent at the waist and his pitching arm naturally hangs down slightly in front or to the side away from his body. As he looks to the catcher for a signal, a) the pitcher's arm is stationary or b) the pitching arm rocks slightly from side to side. RULING: In a), the position of the arm is natural and can be considered by his side in meeting the rule. Any movement would then start the pitch. In b), any movement of the arm is considered the start of the pitching motion and a pitch must be delivered to the plate so this motion results in a balk.

Stupid, and it's not even correct. B (the arm rocking slightly from side to side) doesn't commit him to pitch, it just commits him to complete his stretch. He can still step off or throw to a base. At least it makes it easier for me to not call stupid balks for violating a stupid rule.

mbyron Thu Jan 14, 2010 09:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 651473)
Stupid, and it's not even correct. B (the arm rocking slightly from side to side) doesn't commit him to pitch, it just commits him to complete his stretch. He can still step off or throw to a base. At least it makes it easier for me to not call stupid balks for violating a stupid rule.

Dash, you seem emotionally constipated. Tell us how you really feel. :D

mbyron Thu Jan 14, 2010 09:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie (Post 651425)
Also, Lapopez, you mentioned that you "downloaded" the 2010 Rule Book. How do you do that?

Log into the NFHS website, click on "Publications Library" in the right-hand menu, and navigate to Baseball at the bottom of the screen.

dash_riprock Thu Jan 14, 2010 09:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 651479)
Dash, you seem emotionally constipated. Tell us how you really feel. :D

It all started with "R1 is on second, R2 is on 1st..." Please - just shoot me.

cookie Thu Jan 14, 2010 04:59pm

mbyron,
I guess I'm misinterpreting the word "download". Yes, I can download the Fed books to my computer for viewing, but I cannot save them to my computer OR copy and paste excerpts from them. I really meant the latter: saving to my computer and copying and pasting from the books. It just can't be done because they're copyright protected and have software in place to keep that from happening...

Dash,
Keen observation on your par in the wording of that case play 6.1.3P (I missed it). Yes, rocking the arm commits F1 to the stretch (not the pitch). Then how would you (or any Fed umpire) approach this situation in the coming season if F1 (while taking the signs with runners on base) is bent over at the waist and (A) lets his pitching arm hang motionless straight down away from his side -"gorilla arm," and (B) swings the hanging arm back and forth while he's reading the signs.

Based on CB 6.1.3P - even though it's poorly worded ("stupid" as you describe it) - it still gives instruction on how to regard the "gorilla arm." For me, it's absolutely not a balk in (A), but it is a balk in (B), and that's how I will currently interpret it for the coming season until I'm instructed otherwise by "higher ups."

johnnyg08 Thu Jan 14, 2010 08:26pm

Yes you can save them to your computer. I have both of them on my desktop right now.

You do need to have adobe though.

mbyron Thu Jan 14, 2010 09:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie (Post 651735)
mbyron,
I guess I'm misinterpreting the word "download". Yes, I can download the Fed books to my computer for viewing, but I cannot save them to my computer OR copy and paste excerpts from them. I really meant the latter: saving to my computer and copying and pasting from the books. It just can't be done because they're copyright protected and have software in place to keep that from happening...

If you right-click on the links and save the PDFs to your computer, you can open them with Acrobat Reader, cut and paste, etc.

DG Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 651481)
Log into the NFHS website, click on "Publications Library" in the right-hand menu, and navigate to Baseball at the bottom of the screen.

And pay $30 for membership??

johnnyg08 Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:18pm

Well, if you're already a member of your state association you don't have to pay again.

bossman72 Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 651823)
Well, if you're already a member of your state association you don't have to pay again.

Well, how do you show that on the NFHS site so you can download the rulebooks?

johnnyg08 Fri Jan 15, 2010 08:50am

I just logged into the site..I created a username and a password...I never got any prompts to pay any money. They must match the email address or mailing address or something...I don't totally remember since it's been a while since

bob jenkins Fri Jan 15, 2010 09:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 651823)

True only if your state is a "100% participation" state (or soemthing like that).

yawetag Sat Jan 16, 2010 08:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 651889)
I just logged into the site..I created a username and a password...I never got any prompts to pay any money. They must match the email address or mailing address or something...I don't totally remember since it's been a while since

Lucky you. I tried and got a "duplicate accounts with same email address" error. It said to notify the webmaster, which I did -- with no response.

DG Sun Jan 17, 2010 09:58pm

I looked up Sit 5 from 2005 Interps, as far as I know, the only mention of "gorilla". The Sit said swinging the arm back and forth is illegal. A pitcher must have his hand behind his back or by his side (6-1-3).

The 2010 rules powerpoint illlustrates that holding the hand in front of the body is legal. It's the swinging back and forth that is interpreted as illegal.