The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   2010 Fed Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/56348-2010-fed-baseball.html)

johnnyg08 Tue Jan 12, 2010 09:12pm

great...so it actually says that the gorilla arm is a ball if he swings at it? I better see those slides...that is absurd.

Tim C Tue Jan 12, 2010 09:20pm

Hmm,

The notes that were distributed after the summer committee meetings said that: "there will be an editoral change to the rule but the intent is to remain."

Nothing was noted in the PR release earlier this off season.

JJ Tue Jan 12, 2010 09:23pm

The Case book play says "the pitcher is bent at the waist and his pitching arm naturally hangs down slightly in front or to the side away from his body. As he looks to the catcher for a signal, a) the pitcher's arm is stationary, or b) the arm rocks slightly from side to side. RULING: in a) the position of the arm is natural and can be considered by his side in meeting the rule. Any movement would then start the pitch. In b) any movement of the arm is considered the start of the pitching motion and a pitch must be delivered to the plate so this motion results in a balk."

SO, he can hang the arm down there, but he cannot move it.

The Rules book has no new wording, so the Case book interp is the only thing that is new.

JJ

PS I have a copy of the 2010 Rules book and Case book, and this play is on page 51 of the Case book.

Forest Ump Tue Jan 12, 2010 09:36pm

We discussed the gorilla arm last night at our meeting. Just as discussed here, balk if he moves it.

So I can see it now. "Time. That's a balk. He simulated a gorilla movement. Runner, 2nd base."

Hey not bad, five words or less.;)

johnnyg08 Tue Jan 12, 2010 09:39pm

At least they made it less of a "don't do that"...if the interp actually says "balk" that is great.

jkumpire Tue Jan 12, 2010 09:42pm

This whole discussion about the Gorilla Arm should have a disclaimer

Umpires: USE COMMON SENSE.

If the are slight moves as he looks in for a sign, it isn't a balk. If he swings it back and forth in an obvious manner, Balk him. Do it once, problem solved.

Fed tries to make it easy and consistent to umpire their rules, but sometimes they make it nonsensical because people think they have to apply rules exactly as they are written.

jkumpire Tue Jan 12, 2010 09:49pm

Tim C please note:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C (Post 650820)
Your interpretation is NOT what was said at the summer meetings. F1's arm must STILL be at his side or behind his back.

NOTHING has chaged concerning the "gorilla arm".

Regards,

Please see the following: Umpire's Resource Center - 2010 High School Baseball Rule Changes by Kyle McNeely

I quote:

"2. SITUATION: The pitcher, in the set position, takes his stance with the ball in his pitching hand and his pitching arm hanging straight down. RULING: This is legal. If the pitcher were to swing his pitching arm, while in this position, it would be illegal and a balk if runner(s) are on base."

Also see case book play 6.1.3.Situation P, 2010 casebook p. 51.

This is a change as I understood the 2009 rules my good friend.

jkumpire Tue Jan 12, 2010 09:53pm

Rich, the new rule is much different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 650101)
My only HS ejection in the last 4 years was a first base coach that decided to follow me into the outfield last season after a third out call he didn't like and not go away when I told him to.

This really just formalizes what our (my usual partners) practice has been for years.

Rich, I think you are mistaken.

This year, if the 1B/assistant coach comes to argue a call, he and the Head Coach are to be immediately restricted to the dugout for the rest of the game. Only the HC can dispute a call. Now if the rat runs by and asks you about the call, that's okay. but if he leaves the coaches box or the dugout to complain, he and his boss sit in the dugout.

DG Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkumpire (Post 650841)
Rich, I think you are mistaken.

This year, if the 1B/assistant coach comes to argue a call, he and the Head Coach are to be immediately restricted to the dugout for the rest of the game. Only the HC can dispute a call. Now if the rat runs by and asks you about the call, that's okay. but if he leaves the coaches box or the dugout to complain, he and his boss sit in the dugout.

HC's are Rats, some bigger than others. AC's are mice.

I don't know what is so special about this year. This ruling started last year. No mice are to come out looking for cheese.

johnnyg08 Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:18pm

Last year's threads discussed that it was a regional issue...which is probably true for most new rules and rule changes outside of something like the -3 bat rule or something...it will probably be a POE in some areas and not in others...yet now, it's in the rules, giving us something to work with.

mbyron Wed Jan 13, 2010 07:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forest Ump (Post 650834)
So I can see it now. "Time. That's a balk. He simulated a gorilla movement. Runner, 2nd base."

I believe the phrase you're seeking is, according to the case play, "started and stopped." ;)

SanDiegoSteve Wed Jan 13, 2010 07:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forest Ump (Post 650834)
We discussed the gorilla arm last night at our meeting. Just as discussed here, balk if he moves it.

I don't think I would use the phrase, "gorilla movement," as some tight-a$$ politically correct coach or parent will accuse you of calling the pitcher a great ape.

johnnyg08 Wed Jan 13, 2010 08:45pm

I kind of like the "started and stopped" it takes the jargon out of it too...

DG Wed Jan 13, 2010 09:38pm

Problem is, no pitcher doing this is starting and stopping. They just swinging their arm in front of their body, prior to 2005 interps, ignored, and mostly ignored since, since it only showed up in interp and not case book or rule book.

So, "that's a balk" is the appropriate response and only if the HC comes out for explanation would I say that swinging the arm in front of the body like that is balk in HS. This was covered at the annual meeting. In my state all HC are required to make an annual meeting, either coaches meeting or an umpires meeting so there should really be few balks called and less coming out to get explanation.

RPatrino Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:08pm

Also, 'started and stopped' would put you within the 5 words or less, Steve!!