The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   2010 Fed Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/56348-2010-fed-baseball.html)

johnnyg08 Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:59pm

2010 Fed Baseball

Hey fellas, for those of you who work FED ball, the 2010 rule and case books are on the NFHS website in pdf. I don't think we'll get our baseball packets for a bit yet, so it was nice to get the new ones on the website.

johnnyg08 Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:22pm

Here's some food for thought:

As posted in the 2010 FED rulebook:

Minor Editorial Rule Changes

1-4-2 Clarified the compliance of a pitcher's uniform

2-5-1 Clarified a section heading change

7-3-2 Clarified a batting infraction

8-1-1d1 Clarified when a batter is struck by a pitched ball

8-4-2 Clarified interference violation
PEN

9-1-1d Clarified a third out declaration

jkumpire Sun Jan 10, 2010 04:55pm

The most interesting change in several years is coming down the pike.

I will be very interested to see how coaches and umpires adapt to the new assistant coach rules, 3-3-1.

johnnyg08 Sun Jan 10, 2010 09:29pm

I really don't think it will be that big of a deal...many of us for years have had plate meetings stating that we deal with the head coach and only the head coach. We'll see how other parts of the country are affected...you might be right.

jkumpire Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:36pm

Frankly, the area I work has few problems like this. But it must be bad enough somewhere for FED to get all hot and bothered about it.

cookie Mon Jan 11, 2010 05:16am

I'm not on that website right now, but I have been there recently and noticed that in the 2010 Rule book, the "gorilla arm" is now permitted. F1 can have his throwing arm hanging downward while he is bent over at the waist as long as he doesn't swing it. Swinging it would be a balk with runners on; letting it hang there would not.

Kevin Finnerty Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:23am

Rodney Beck was the originator of the gorilla arm motion. I remember when he first hit the scene in 1992 at Candlestick (the year this shot was taken). He did it right from the start. He had several trademarks, but that was one of the most distinctive. One day, I asked him about it and when it started. He said, "What do you mean?" Then we showed him a video of it. "I didn't even know I did that. ... That's cool!" He said it like he said a lot of things: like a overgrown, fun-loving boy.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...odbeck-1-1.jpg

What a fine young man he was--as thoughtful and generous a soul as you will ever meet in pro sports. He devoted his life and his fortune to saving HIV infected infants and children--spearheading Pediatric AIDS charities and bankrolling summer camps and retreats for HIV kids and their families. He and his wife even adopted HIV-positive babies in order to give them a better life.

Much of this hero talk that goes on these days gives most of its attention to self-aggrandizing characters of curious heroism. Rod Beck was a true hero, who gave it all up for young people who were born without any hope at all. That's a hero.

I know, off topic---but the topic steered off-course to the gorilla arm, and it was unavoidable.

bossman72 Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:56am

Does anyone have a link to the press release of the rule changes?

GoodwillRef Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkumpire (Post 649791)
The most interesting change in several years is coming down the pike.

I will be very interested to see how coaches and umpires adapt to the new assistant coach rules, 3-3-1.

This is similar to the NCAA rule that has been in place for 2-3 years.

Rich Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:18pm

My only HS ejection in the last 4 years was a first base coach that decided to follow me into the outfield last season after a third out call he didn't like and not go away when I told him to.

This really just formalizes what our (my usual partners) practice has been for years.

johnnyg08 Mon Jan 11, 2010 06:12pm

it's not a link or press release yet....right now the 2009 stuff is still out there...that hasn't been published yet..the actual rule and case books are on the nfhs website. it's right in the point of emphasis part of the rule book.

Lapopez Tue Jan 12, 2010 07:42pm

Gorilla Arm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie (Post 649976)
I'm not on that website right now, but I have been there recently and noticed that in the 2010 Rule book, the "gorilla arm" is now permitted. F1 can have his throwing arm hanging downward while he is bent over at the waist as long as he doesn't swing it. Swinging it would be a balk with runners on; letting it hang there would not.

I downloaded the 2010 rule book. I did not find this. It is not one of the points of emphasis. Rule 6-1-3 still states, "His pitching hand shall be down at his side or behind his back."

Tim C Tue Jan 12, 2010 07:55pm

:-{

Quote:

"I'm not on that website right now, but I have been there recently and noticed that in the 2010 Rule book, the "gorilla arm" is now permitted. F1 can have his throwing arm hanging downward while he is bent over at the waist as long as he doesn't swing it. Swinging it would be a balk with runners on; letting it hang there would not."
Your interpretation is NOT what was said at the summer meetings. F1's arm must STILL be at his side or behind his back.

NOTHING has chaged concerning the "gorilla arm".

Regards,

DG Tue Jan 12, 2010 08:21pm

Maybe not what was said, but slides 18, 19, 20 of the presentation on 2010 NFHS Baseball Rules Changes shows a pitcher with hand in front of body, right hander with ball in hand hanging down near the left knee, slide 19 says balk if he swings it, and slide 20 says gorilla arm is balk if he swings it. I guess you could say it is hanging by his side, his other side.

I have not seen the 2010 rule book yet, but so far gorilla arm has only been mentioned in 2005 interps, #5 I believe. No mention in rule book or case book, that I hsve seen.

umpjim Tue Jan 12, 2010 08:30pm

They announced the change on a few websites earlier last year and made it official with this new caseplay:

*6.1.3. Situation P: With a runner on first,Team A right-handed pitcher is in the set position, bent at the waist and his pitching arm naturally hands down slightly in front or to the side away from his body.........a),........arm is stationary or b),..........arm rocks.........a)arm is natural and can be considered by his side.......b)any movement.........balk.

I'm not typing the whole thing. It's poorly worded regarding "starting the pitch" but I believe they want it legal now if no movement.

johnnyg08 Tue Jan 12, 2010 09:12pm

great...so it actually says that the gorilla arm is a ball if he swings at it? I better see those slides...that is absurd.

Tim C Tue Jan 12, 2010 09:20pm

Hmm,

The notes that were distributed after the summer committee meetings said that: "there will be an editoral change to the rule but the intent is to remain."

Nothing was noted in the PR release earlier this off season.

JJ Tue Jan 12, 2010 09:23pm

The Case book play says "the pitcher is bent at the waist and his pitching arm naturally hangs down slightly in front or to the side away from his body. As he looks to the catcher for a signal, a) the pitcher's arm is stationary, or b) the arm rocks slightly from side to side. RULING: in a) the position of the arm is natural and can be considered by his side in meeting the rule. Any movement would then start the pitch. In b) any movement of the arm is considered the start of the pitching motion and a pitch must be delivered to the plate so this motion results in a balk."

SO, he can hang the arm down there, but he cannot move it.

The Rules book has no new wording, so the Case book interp is the only thing that is new.

JJ

PS I have a copy of the 2010 Rules book and Case book, and this play is on page 51 of the Case book.

Forest Ump Tue Jan 12, 2010 09:36pm

We discussed the gorilla arm last night at our meeting. Just as discussed here, balk if he moves it.

So I can see it now. "Time. That's a balk. He simulated a gorilla movement. Runner, 2nd base."

Hey not bad, five words or less.;)

johnnyg08 Tue Jan 12, 2010 09:39pm

At least they made it less of a "don't do that"...if the interp actually says "balk" that is great.

jkumpire Tue Jan 12, 2010 09:42pm

This whole discussion about the Gorilla Arm should have a disclaimer

Umpires: USE COMMON SENSE.

If the are slight moves as he looks in for a sign, it isn't a balk. If he swings it back and forth in an obvious manner, Balk him. Do it once, problem solved.

Fed tries to make it easy and consistent to umpire their rules, but sometimes they make it nonsensical because people think they have to apply rules exactly as they are written.

jkumpire Tue Jan 12, 2010 09:49pm

Tim C please note:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C (Post 650820)
Your interpretation is NOT what was said at the summer meetings. F1's arm must STILL be at his side or behind his back.

NOTHING has chaged concerning the "gorilla arm".

Regards,

Please see the following: Umpire's Resource Center - 2010 High School Baseball Rule Changes by Kyle McNeely

I quote:

"2. SITUATION: The pitcher, in the set position, takes his stance with the ball in his pitching hand and his pitching arm hanging straight down. RULING: This is legal. If the pitcher were to swing his pitching arm, while in this position, it would be illegal and a balk if runner(s) are on base."

Also see case book play 6.1.3.Situation P, 2010 casebook p. 51.

This is a change as I understood the 2009 rules my good friend.

jkumpire Tue Jan 12, 2010 09:53pm

Rich, the new rule is much different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 650101)
My only HS ejection in the last 4 years was a first base coach that decided to follow me into the outfield last season after a third out call he didn't like and not go away when I told him to.

This really just formalizes what our (my usual partners) practice has been for years.

Rich, I think you are mistaken.

This year, if the 1B/assistant coach comes to argue a call, he and the Head Coach are to be immediately restricted to the dugout for the rest of the game. Only the HC can dispute a call. Now if the rat runs by and asks you about the call, that's okay. but if he leaves the coaches box or the dugout to complain, he and his boss sit in the dugout.

DG Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkumpire (Post 650841)
Rich, I think you are mistaken.

This year, if the 1B/assistant coach comes to argue a call, he and the Head Coach are to be immediately restricted to the dugout for the rest of the game. Only the HC can dispute a call. Now if the rat runs by and asks you about the call, that's okay. but if he leaves the coaches box or the dugout to complain, he and his boss sit in the dugout.

HC's are Rats, some bigger than others. AC's are mice.

I don't know what is so special about this year. This ruling started last year. No mice are to come out looking for cheese.

johnnyg08 Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:18pm

Last year's threads discussed that it was a regional issue...which is probably true for most new rules and rule changes outside of something like the -3 bat rule or something...it will probably be a POE in some areas and not in others...yet now, it's in the rules, giving us something to work with.

mbyron Wed Jan 13, 2010 07:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forest Ump (Post 650834)
So I can see it now. "Time. That's a balk. He simulated a gorilla movement. Runner, 2nd base."

I believe the phrase you're seeking is, according to the case play, "started and stopped." ;)

SanDiegoSteve Wed Jan 13, 2010 07:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forest Ump (Post 650834)
We discussed the gorilla arm last night at our meeting. Just as discussed here, balk if he moves it.

I don't think I would use the phrase, "gorilla movement," as some tight-a$$ politically correct coach or parent will accuse you of calling the pitcher a great ape.

johnnyg08 Wed Jan 13, 2010 08:45pm

I kind of like the "started and stopped" it takes the jargon out of it too...

DG Wed Jan 13, 2010 09:38pm

Problem is, no pitcher doing this is starting and stopping. They just swinging their arm in front of their body, prior to 2005 interps, ignored, and mostly ignored since, since it only showed up in interp and not case book or rule book.

So, "that's a balk" is the appropriate response and only if the HC comes out for explanation would I say that swinging the arm in front of the body like that is balk in HS. This was covered at the annual meeting. In my state all HC are required to make an annual meeting, either coaches meeting or an umpires meeting so there should really be few balks called and less coming out to get explanation.

RPatrino Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:08pm

Also, 'started and stopped' would put you within the 5 words or less, Steve!!

cookie Thu Jan 14, 2010 03:39am

Thanks UmpJim for refreshing my memory.

I'm on the website now, and though not specifically stated as the "gorilla arm", moreso described as the hanging arm, it is mentioned in the 2010 Case Book (6.1.3P), not as I had "misremembered" it as the Rule book. The CB play is asterisked, indicating it has been entered as new this year.

Here it is:

*6.1.3 Situation P: With a runner on first, Team A right-handed pitcher is in the set position, bent at the waist and his pitching arm naturally hangs down slightly in front or to the side away from his body. As he looks to the catcher for a signal, a) the pitcher's arm is stationary or b) the pitching arm rocks slightly from side to side. RULING: In a), the position of the arm is natural and can be considered by his side in meeting the rule. Any movement would then start the pitch. In b), any movement of the arm is considered the start of the pitching motion and a pitch must be delivered to the plate so this motion results in a balk.

Also, Lapopez, you mentioned that you "downloaded" the 2010 Rule Book. How do you do that? I can't even "copy and paste" an excerpt from either the rule book or the case book! Instead, I have to write it out by hand. Let me know the trick...

dash_riprock Thu Jan 14, 2010 08:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie (Post 651425)
Thanks UmpJim for refreshing my memory.

I'm on the website now, and though not specifically stated as the "gorilla arm", moreso described as the hanging arm, it is mentioned in the 2010 Case Book (6.1.3P), not as I had "misremembered" it as the Rule book. The CB play is asterisked, indicating it has been entered as new this year.

Here it is:

*6.1.3 Situation P: With a runner on first, Team A right-handed pitcher is in the set position, bent at the waist and his pitching arm naturally hangs down slightly in front or to the side away from his body. As he looks to the catcher for a signal, a) the pitcher's arm is stationary or b) the pitching arm rocks slightly from side to side. RULING: In a), the position of the arm is natural and can be considered by his side in meeting the rule. Any movement would then start the pitch. In b), any movement of the arm is considered the start of the pitching motion and a pitch must be delivered to the plate so this motion results in a balk.

Stupid, and it's not even correct. B (the arm rocking slightly from side to side) doesn't commit him to pitch, it just commits him to complete his stretch. He can still step off or throw to a base. At least it makes it easier for me to not call stupid balks for violating a stupid rule.

mbyron Thu Jan 14, 2010 09:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 651473)
Stupid, and it's not even correct. B (the arm rocking slightly from side to side) doesn't commit him to pitch, it just commits him to complete his stretch. He can still step off or throw to a base. At least it makes it easier for me to not call stupid balks for violating a stupid rule.

Dash, you seem emotionally constipated. Tell us how you really feel. :D

mbyron Thu Jan 14, 2010 09:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie (Post 651425)
Also, Lapopez, you mentioned that you "downloaded" the 2010 Rule Book. How do you do that?

Log into the NFHS website, click on "Publications Library" in the right-hand menu, and navigate to Baseball at the bottom of the screen.

dash_riprock Thu Jan 14, 2010 09:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 651479)
Dash, you seem emotionally constipated. Tell us how you really feel. :D

It all started with "R1 is on second, R2 is on 1st..." Please - just shoot me.

cookie Thu Jan 14, 2010 04:59pm

mbyron,
I guess I'm misinterpreting the word "download". Yes, I can download the Fed books to my computer for viewing, but I cannot save them to my computer OR copy and paste excerpts from them. I really meant the latter: saving to my computer and copying and pasting from the books. It just can't be done because they're copyright protected and have software in place to keep that from happening...

Dash,
Keen observation on your par in the wording of that case play 6.1.3P (I missed it). Yes, rocking the arm commits F1 to the stretch (not the pitch). Then how would you (or any Fed umpire) approach this situation in the coming season if F1 (while taking the signs with runners on base) is bent over at the waist and (A) lets his pitching arm hang motionless straight down away from his side -"gorilla arm," and (B) swings the hanging arm back and forth while he's reading the signs.

Based on CB 6.1.3P - even though it's poorly worded ("stupid" as you describe it) - it still gives instruction on how to regard the "gorilla arm." For me, it's absolutely not a balk in (A), but it is a balk in (B), and that's how I will currently interpret it for the coming season until I'm instructed otherwise by "higher ups."

johnnyg08 Thu Jan 14, 2010 08:26pm

Yes you can save them to your computer. I have both of them on my desktop right now.

You do need to have adobe though.

mbyron Thu Jan 14, 2010 09:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie (Post 651735)
mbyron,
I guess I'm misinterpreting the word "download". Yes, I can download the Fed books to my computer for viewing, but I cannot save them to my computer OR copy and paste excerpts from them. I really meant the latter: saving to my computer and copying and pasting from the books. It just can't be done because they're copyright protected and have software in place to keep that from happening...

If you right-click on the links and save the PDFs to your computer, you can open them with Acrobat Reader, cut and paste, etc.

DG Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 651481)
Log into the NFHS website, click on "Publications Library" in the right-hand menu, and navigate to Baseball at the bottom of the screen.

And pay $30 for membership??

johnnyg08 Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:18pm

Well, if you're already a member of your state association you don't have to pay again.

bossman72 Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 651823)
Well, if you're already a member of your state association you don't have to pay again.

Well, how do you show that on the NFHS site so you can download the rulebooks?

johnnyg08 Fri Jan 15, 2010 08:50am

I just logged into the site..I created a username and a password...I never got any prompts to pay any money. They must match the email address or mailing address or something...I don't totally remember since it's been a while since

bob jenkins Fri Jan 15, 2010 09:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 651823)

True only if your state is a "100% participation" state (or soemthing like that).

yawetag Sat Jan 16, 2010 08:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 651889)
I just logged into the site..I created a username and a password...I never got any prompts to pay any money. They must match the email address or mailing address or something...I don't totally remember since it's been a while since

Lucky you. I tried and got a "duplicate accounts with same email address" error. It said to notify the webmaster, which I did -- with no response.

DG Sun Jan 17, 2010 09:58pm

I looked up Sit 5 from 2005 Interps, as far as I know, the only mention of "gorilla". The Sit said swinging the arm back and forth is illegal. A pitcher must have his hand behind his back or by his side (6-1-3).

The 2010 rules powerpoint illlustrates that holding the hand in front of the body is legal. It's the swinging back and forth that is interpreted as illegal.

johnnyg08 Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:13pm

Maybe they simply cleared it up...F1 hasn't been able to swing it in a long time...hopefully coaches will not let their pitchers use it...that's the best way to get rid of it.

johnnyg08 Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 651897)
True only if your state is a "100% participation" state (or soemthing like that).

One of the lucky ones I guess...first time for everything!