The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

independant contractor vs. employee

Had this happen to a co-worker and fellow official today. He got a call this morning to sub for another official for a boys’ basketball game at a middle school that is in the same school district that we work. He has worked there many times with no problems, he was always paid by check at the game.

The school secretary emails him and tells him that his check for the game would be added to his school paycheck. He is not happy about this and sends an email back saying he is an independent contractor for the game and should be paid by a separate check. The secretary sends an email back saying since he was an employee, the new district policy is that he has to be paid through the payroll department.

As the day went on we talked about what would happen if he got hurt during the game. Would the district be liable for workers’ comp. because he is acting as a district employee for the game?

I just got a call from him, as he was working the game he torn his Achilles tendon. Now he is wondering what to do. Was he acting as an employee for the game or was he an independent contractor just getting the money through his regular paycheck?
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 11:06pm
Stop staring at me swan.

go to your district HR...are you "him"? by chance
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

No, I'm not him. I don't even work basketball.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like workmans' Comp to me

I am not a tax accountant, but the overwhelming number of officials are considered by the IRS to being independent contractors, and the case law is out there to see it.

If the school district is adding it to his pay as an employee, they are wrong, and they are taking all the risk in paying for liability if he is injured. They have made him an employee for the game, like he was being a chaperon at the prom, so they pay the injury freight. Bad call by the school district.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjl22 View Post
Had this happen to a co-worker and fellow official today. He got a call this morning to sub for another official for a boys’ basketball game at a middle school that is in the same school district that we work. He has worked there many times with no problems, he was always paid by check at the game.

The school secretary emails him and tells him that his check for the game would be added to his school paycheck. He is not happy about this and sends an email back saying he is an independent contractor for the game and should be paid by a separate check. The secretary sends an email back saying since he was an employee, the new district policy is that he has to be paid through the payroll department.

As the day went on we talked about what would happen if he got hurt during the game. Would the district be liable for workers’ comp. because he is acting as a district employee for the game?

I just got a call from him, as he was working the game he torn his Achilles tendon. Now he is wondering what to do. Was he acting as an employee for the game or was he an independent contractor just getting the money through his regular paycheck?
Np offense intended but this isn't the Leagl Aid. Your friend has to work through this with the school and maybe through the legal system.

Genera;;y speaking:

If his health insurance through the school is like most employer-provided insurance, it will cover his health costs no matter what.

Any workman's comp issues have to be handled via the state comp folks.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

My understanding is that if you are an employee of a school district you can't also be an independent contractor for that same entity (even if the "independent contractor" task is separate from and not related to your primary employment job).

The school is correct to treat him as an employee, but also now bears the burden of an on-the-job injury.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
I would be shopping for a lawyer right about now - you have a 'paper trail' on this, and I would say have pretty good grounds for not only compensation, but possible legal action.

In a semi related matter, I work volleyball in addition to softball, and I recently received a letter from a school district in an area we cover, but that I do not work at, stating that from here on in, we might possibly be subject to verification,under the various immigration statutes, of our citizenship for working purposes. (i.e. the filling out of an I-9 Form!) I have not questioned this with any of our group's people, but I am pretty sure that should NOT apply to us as 'independent contractors', either. Here in New York, we are assigned by a school co-op known as BOCES, and we are told again and again, that it is BOCES that controls our eligibility to be assigned and work games, NOT the districts.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 09:19am

Sue the living crap out of the school. Serves them right!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjl22 View Post

The aforementioned makes no sense. Officials just like CPA's should be INDEPENDENT. if you are an employee of said school then it stands to reason you CANNOT work games for that school.

In our association if you are affiliated in any way with a given school you will not be assigned to officiate any games involving that school. By affiliation I mean you have relatives that work for the school or you work in another capacity at that school. A prime example is a school teacher. That school teacher who is also an official will not be assigned any games where he/she teaches.

In a nutshell I would not talk to the school secretary but directly to the AD. Also, IMO, the AD would want to know what kind of info is coming "from his /her shop" that could land him/her in "hot water"

Pete Booth
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Sue the living crap out of the school. Serves them right!
Sue them for what? Nobody has refeused to pay for anything so far.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 10:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
My understanding is that if you are an employee of a school district you can't also be an independent contractor for that same entity (even if the "independent contractor" task is separate from and not related to your primary employment job).

The school is correct to treat him as an employee, but also now bears the burden of an on-the-job injury.
This could be true. I have a friend (Bob, you've met him) who teaches and we work a few subvarsity football games there every year and they do the same to him. And my friend has mentioned to the AD that it would be unfortunate if he got hurt and had to miss work (his teaching job) cause he would be filing a workman's comp claim. The AD thinks he's kidding -- he's not.

Workman's comp would cover if he had to miss his job with the district. Missing his other officiating assignments wouldn't be covered, so unless he has to miss his day job, WC and the state won't be involved.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 10:27am
Get away from me, Steve.

[QUOTE=PeteBooth;640603]
Quote:

The aforementioned makes no sense. Officials just like CPA's should be INDEPENDENT. if you are an employee of said school then it stands to reason you CANNOT work games for that school.

In our association if you are affiliated in any way with a given school you will not be assigned to officiate any games involving that school. By affiliation I mean you have relatives that work for the school or you work in another capacity at that school. A prime example is a school teacher. That school teacher who is also an official will not be assigned any games where he/she teaches.

In a nutshell I would not talk to the school secretary but directly to the AD. Also, IMO, the AD would want to know what kind of info is coming "from his /her shop" that could land him/her in "hot water"

Pete Booth

Why do you assume that all areas run like yours? We get assignments straight from the schools and the districts *do not care* for subvarsity assignments -- they are happy to hire teachers, parents of players, etc. Nobody puts the JV standings or even the boxscores in the papers. Nobody cares who the umpires or officials are.

I worked a varsity girls basketball game last week and one of the officials in the JV game had a daughter who played most of the JV game. Good official, normally works varsity, but this gave him a chance to work and also see his daughter play. Nobody really cares.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 10:49am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Sue them for what? Nobody has refeused to pay for anything so far.
For forcing him against his will to be considered an employee for the purposes of umpiring a game, when he should have been considered an independent contractor. I know umpires here who work for certain schools and districts, and they are most certainly still independent contractors when they umpire.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

Agree. Neither school nor employee has a choice in the matter.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
For forcing him against his will to be considered an employee for the purposes of umpiring a game, when he should have been considered an independent contractor. I know umpires here who work for certain schools and districts, and they are most certainly still independent contractors when they umpire.
Using that logic you could sue your association for making you wear a uniform color you didn't like.

There has to be harm. What harm has been done? Did he lose pay. Was he refused medical treatment? No harm, no foul.