The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 07, 2002, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Pickoff at home

What is missing here: the rules do not forbid the pitcher from stepping toward home plate to retire a runner. The pitcher did not look in for any signs. He did not begin his preliminary motions even. 6.1.3 states "Before starting delivery..." This implies a period of time from stepping on the rubber and being ready to deliver. This is the time I'm talking about. The pitcher stepped on the rubber and the runner took off. Since the rules do not exempt HP form this move, I contend he can step and throw him out during that period only.
Old Wed Aug 07, 2002, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Re: Pickoff at home

Quote:
Originally posted by ccbestul
What is missing here: the rules do not forbid the pitcher from stepping toward home plate to retire a runner. The pitcher did not look in for any signs. He did not begin his preliminary motions even. 6.1.3 states "Before starting delivery..." This implies a period of time from stepping on the rubber and being ready to deliver. This is the time I'm talking about. The pitcher stepped on the rubber and the runner took off. Since the rules do not exempt HP form this move, I contend he can step and throw him out during that period only.
Contend as you desire.

Fed has caseplay specifically stating what needs to be done for a pitcher on the rubber to make play at home plate.

J/R (authoritative opinion) specifically addresses "a pitch" for OBR.

I contend knowledgeable readers should choose J/R and Fed over your contentions.
Still, they may not. That's their choice.

Just my opinion,

Freix

Old Wed Aug 07, 2002, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Pickoff at home

Quote:
Originally posted by ccbestul
What is missing here: the rules do not forbid the pitcher from stepping toward home plate to retire a runner.
The rules might not, but the case book does.

Quote:
The pitcher did not look in for any signs. He did not begin his preliminary motions even. 6.1.3 states "Before starting delivery..." This implies a period of time from stepping on the rubber and being ready to deliver. This is the time I'm talking about.
Agreed -- but once the pitcher made a motion to home, it was the "start of a delivery" -- even though it might (depending on what else he did) be an illegal delivery.

Quote:
The pitcher stepped on the rubber and the runner took off.
Isn't that a synopsis of 6.1.1D? Why doesn't the Comment apply?

[/B][/QUOTE]