The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 07, 2002, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Angry

I worked tonight an outside game 13-14 year old game.
On the field next to me was another outside game that my organization also does.

The game on the other field ended before mine and the umpire doin the plate came by and said goodbye but the umpire doin the bases stayed.

Im not gonna mention the teams that I did tonight but lets say they were Team BLUE and Team GOLD. The umpire from the other field who was doin the bases son plays for team GOLD just with the older division.

He was hanging around waiting for my game to end outside the fence towards the 3rd base side with one of the coaches from team GOLD. Its starting to get late and a little dark but not dark enough to call the game. The umpire who is part of my organization who is standing outside the fence says to me "hey blue isnt it dark, u can see the ball?" now the coach is standing right next to him talking to him and the coach says "hey u have better eyes than me". This guy from my organization made me look like a total fool. Maybe he was trying to score points with the coaches from that organization his son plays for im not sure but he made me look like a total fool and this is his first year ever umpiring and my 3rd.
Old Wed Aug 07, 2002, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

You are right. He was trying to impress others. Code of conduct as an ump...never upstage you fellow umpires from the stands.

He was just trying to show his superiority while you worked you butt off keeping a game going. Whispering behind your back, etc...

Just make mental note. No biggy. A lot of them do it. You are lucky you got to see one "live".

It is the same thing as everyday life. Don't get caught up in it, and keep doing your good job.

...then kick his *** infront of his wife in the parking lot next time you see him!
Old Wed Aug 07, 2002, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
"hey u have better eyes than me".
If said to you by an umpire:

"I know. I've seen you call balls and strikes."

If said to you by a coach:

"I know. I've seen you drive."

Or, if you want to get more personal:

"I know. I've seen your wife."
Old Wed Aug 07, 2002, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

JP:

I love it. Absolutely great comebacks.

Add: "Yeah, that's why I'm here and you're there".

Bob
Old Wed Aug 07, 2002, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Actually ump12, he made of fool of himself with his unprofessional remarks. You should tell your association assignor that you don't want to work with this clod. If asked why, explain the situation.

Bob
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 02:06am
Official Forum Member

Per Bob: "Actually ump12, he made of fool of himself with his unprofessional remarks."

Exactly. And if you throw any comebacks his way, you will be guilty of the same. Ignore his remarks the way you would ignore any remark from that side of the fence.

Then you have a choice. If you know him and you think it would do any good, talk with him privately and let him know the errors of his rookie ways. If you are convinced that won't work, file a report with your association. That kind of behavior, especially in front of or in concert with a coach is unacceptable.
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 06:11am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Garth:
I sure don't need a fellow umpire to make me look like a fool. I can do it entirely on my own!

Jerry
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by ump12

I worked tonight an outside game 13-14 year old game.
On the field next to me was another outside game that my organization also does.

The game on the other field ended before mine and the umpire doin the plate came by and said goodbye but the umpire doin the bases stayed.

Im not gonna mention the teams that I did tonight but lets say they were Team BLUE and Team GOLD. The umpire from the other field who was doin the bases son plays for team GOLD just with the older division.

He was hanging around waiting for my game to end outside the fence towards the 3rd base side with one of the coaches from team GOLD. Its starting to get late and a little dark but not dark enough to call the game. The umpire who is part of my organization who is standing outside the fence says to me "hey blue isnt it dark, u can see the ball?" now the coach is standing right next to him talking to him and the coach says "hey u have better eyes than me". This guy from my organization made me look like a total fool. Maybe he was trying to score points with the coaches from that organization his son plays for im not sure but he made me look like a total fool and this is his first year ever umpiring and my 3rd.

After the game, IMO the first thing to do is confront this other umpire and under no uncertain terms tell him to keep his mouth shut when it's YOUR Game. It's called professional courtesy. Ever try and get one Doctor to go against another?

It's enough to deal with Coaches / Fans when it's bordering on the line of darkness you don't need a fellow blue to stir up the pot

Also, as we all do, check around and see if this umpire has a habit of brown nosing and if it continues, report him to the association.

In my association if an umpire did what you described, He would start traveling for his next game assignment.

Pete Booth
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Exactly. And if you throw any comebacks his way, you will be guilty of the same.
Wrong! Comebacks! Comebacks are where it's at! Nothing could replace a witty, off-the-cuff, humor-filled statement. Why take the high road when you can be funny?
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Jim,
After our "dead ball balk" fiasco, I'm reluctant to agree with you on anything. But I'm going along with you on this one too. Quick-witted replies to the wise-cracking ump is much preferable. After all, this is STILL a game.

Cute anecdote happened the other day. Pitcher is doing a good job but his teammates are blowing everything in sight. Routine plays being bobbled, errors on easy pop-ups, etc. The Shortstop yells out to the team, "Come on, gang. Chris can't do this alone." Then he walks up to Chris (the pitcher) and says, "Hey Chris, you gotta do this alone."

I got a chuckly out of that one.

Jerry
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Jerry so cleverly posted:

"Quick-witted replies to the wise-cracking ump is (sic) much preferable."

The problem here, Jer, is that humor is such a subjective thing. Like beauty, it lies in the eyes of the beholder. Too often what you might think of "quick" can be seen as "dim" by others, maybe even your superiors in the stands.

But, hey, at least you're honest about it.
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

"In my association if an umpire did what you described, He would start traveling for his next game assignment.

Pete Booth"

If I were the assignor, and with the approval of the BOD, he would be suspended. All the officiating associations I belonged to emphasized that what that dum-dum did is unprofessional, and will not be tolerated.

Bob