The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 06:21am
Official Forum Member

Smile

"BUt, to be fair, Garth, Jerry is not a horse. He's part of a horse. I'll let you decide which part."

Darn it, Bob. I'm only trying to keep up with my reputation as being "the worst umpire we've ever seen".

I get jealous when coaches try to give that title to someone else.

Jerry
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Why the rule?

I have been reading this ongoing debate with great interest. I don't read this a current umpire but as one who umpired in the past and is still interested in understanding the rules of the game and I have yet to form a solid opinion. I can see both sides of this issue.

I guess what would help me out a great deal is understanding WHY the rule about a pitcher straddling or standing on the rubber without the ball was put into the rulebook and why this is to be called a balk. I guess a little history of the rule would help me.

My initial feeling is that the rule is there to prevent just such deception, yet I can also understand a dead ball cannot put a runner in jeopardy.

Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Mike,

You are still unsure?

Unbelievable.
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Re: Mike,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
You are still unsure?

Unbelievable.
Tee: Concerning Mike Sears: You said "unbelievable." I say: "Amazing!" (grin)

Now, here's my take on this:

1. Obviously, it SHOULD be a balk if the pitcher (defense) conspires illegally to create an out. Jim Porter is 100% right.

2. Obviously, it AIN'T a balk. It's black letter law, plain as the nose on Durante's face. Garth Benham is 100% right.

I must admit that in my youth (the diary shows I was 20), I called a balk during a dead ball because of the illegal hidden ball trick.

Nobody said a word.

That's because even then, I was a noted rules expert. OR:

More likely, I was a noted a$$hole, famous for ejecting at the drop of a word.

Either way, quiet reigned at that Ganado, TX, 13u game. (There was no USSSA then, but the age is right anyway.)
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Papa C: 1. Obviously, it SHOULD be a balk if the pitcher (defense) conspires illegally to create an out. Jim Porter is 100% right.

2. Obviously, it AIN'T a balk. It's black letter law, plain as the nose on Durante's face. Garth Benham is 100% right.

I don't recall the words "should be" ever entering the discussion. If they had, this thread would be only a page long.

No, the word used was "IS." And that is 100% wrong. (Unless of course we need to debate what the meaning of the word, is, is.)

Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Re: Mike,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
You are still unsure?

Unbelievable.
I'd say 70/30. 70% to ruling this a "don't do that" and making it right. 30% to calling this a balk.

So I am still not 100% certain. I think understanding the "why" of the rule would help. Anyone know the history of the rule? We often speak about spirit and intent. What is the spirt and intent of the rule?
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Mike:

According to the JEA this provision was added in 1897 to avoid the hidden ball trick and to stop the practed of alluring the baserunner into running thinking the pitcher has committed to the plate.

All historical notes and examples of its application given are during a live ball situation. Nothing in the rule violates the conditions of a deadball ball as set forth in Rule 5
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Mike:

According to the JEA this provision was added in 1897 to avoid the hidden ball trick and to stop the practed of alluring the baserunner into running thinking the pitcher has committed to the plate.

All historical notes and examples of its application given are during a live ball situation. Nothing in the rule violates the conditions of a deadball ball as set forth in Rule 5
Thanks Garth!

Sounds more and more to me like a "don't do that" type of thing.
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to kbaerslt
my head and eys hurt from reading all this.
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

A definitive answer to this question will elude us as long as we rely on the rule book and existing case book plays. Our efforts are akin to trying to resolve some complicated legal case using only the U.S. Constitution, or proving Fermat's Last Theorem with a calculator.

We need a separate case book for balks, with a couple of hundred examples and variations. Even then, we'd be asking, "How can play 45.A be a balk and not play 189.B?"
Old Fri Aug 09, 2002, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Grey . . .

Good thought. There are only about a jillion ways to balk if you read the internet.

Old Tue Aug 13, 2002, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

And yet it keeps on going

Peter:

At RSO this thread has been continued for over 60 additional posts.

Congratulations.

GB