The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 23, 2009, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, another boring equipment thread

Folks,

I need some recommendations.

I need a new black plate coat for next year and a new pullover that is worth a hoot. One with a collar that stays down if you put it down, and goes up if you want it up.

My current plate coat is +POS. Anyone use the newer models out there?

What is the warmest pullover out there with a good collar.

Thanks men!
Old Fri Oct 23, 2009, 04:48pm

I know you're not going to like to hear it, but Smitty makes a really nice pullover.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Oct 23, 2009, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

I really like this +POS jacket, and the gray stripes actually match my charcoal pants. Nice and warm, but again, I live in San Diego, so what do I know?

+POS MLC 23 detail
Old Fri Oct 23, 2009, 05:23pm
Veteran College Umpire

My black plate coat is from Honigs - it's about four years old. Likewise with my pullovers - Honigs. Very satisfied with them. The plate coat supplements my old Fechheimer blue one - still hanging in the closet, though it gets little use.

JJ
Old Fri Oct 23, 2009, 06:22pm

I like the way the collar stays up or down depending on how you want it. Good looking jacket with nice waist and cuffs.

Old Fri Oct 23, 2009, 06:33pm

And since we have started another boring equipment thread, has anybody seen the new black-only version of the Reebok plate shoes?

Old Sat Oct 24, 2009, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I know you're not going to like to hear it, but Smitty makes a really nice pullover.
Some of us remember when the original Smitty lanyard for basketball officials came out in the last century. The name on the jacket doesn't matter as long as it works.

Is it warm?

BTW, anyone wear a Gerry Davis plate coat?
Old Sat Oct 24, 2009, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And since we have started another boring equipment thread, has anybody seen the new black-only version of the Reebok plate shoes?

I like these much more. I feel the only thing they screwed up on is the MLB logo on the toebox. I have the Field Magistrate base shoes and dont mind the MLB logo on the heel, but dislike it on the toebox.

I understand they will be offering the shoe in all black and in the current version with the white logo on the sides next season. Can anybody (maybe Jim Kirk) confirm this for sure?
Old Sat Oct 24, 2009, 06:08pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I was going to get some $8 New Era caps on Gerry Davis the other day and I obviously waited too long...they're long gone now. Shucks.
Old Sun Oct 25, 2009, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711 View Post
I like these much more. I feel the only thing they screwed up on is the MLB logo on the toebox. I have the Field Magistrate base shoes and dont mind the MLB logo on the heel, but dislike it on the toebox.

I understand they will be offering the shoe in all black and in the current version with the white logo on the sides next season. Can anybody (maybe Jim Kirk) confirm this for sure?
Yes, they are offering the all black and the black/white but with a toned down Reebok logo. I have talked to people at Ump Attire about it and I have a pair of the plate and base shoes on pre-order in the black/white. I guess it's all about personal taste.
Old Sun Oct 25, 2009, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Now these, I can work with. I may have to give them a try.
Old Sun Oct 25, 2009, 05:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Personally, I find the list disgraceful. I find it only tells one side of the story and gives no room for any kind of presenting "the other side of the story." I know that after seeing that on his website I decided to never buy from him -- what if I had a dispute with him and he decided that my dispute meant I was a deadbeat? No thanks.

I think the moderator should delete that list and any references to it.
Old Sun Oct 25, 2009, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with Rich, this is no way to run a business. I mean, doesn't everyone expect payment before gear is shipped?

JK, you may want to delete your post.
Old Sun Oct 25, 2009, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
I'm with Rich, this is no way to run a business. I mean, doesn't everyone expect payment before gear is shipped?

JK, you may want to delete your post.
Although most who have dealt with Rex has had kind things to say (including myself), I have noticed he is a little "blunt" and sometimes comes off in a bad light. Thats no excuse for people basically lying and stealing from him - but - whose fault is that? I think a list like that makes him appear like a minor league player.

I agree its no way to run a business and he is the one who made the mistake.
Old Sun Oct 25, 2009, 07:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711 View Post
Although most who have dealt with Rex has had kind things to say (including myself), I have noticed he is a little "blunt" and sometimes comes off in a bad light. Thats no excuse for people basically lying and stealing from him - but - whose fault is that? I think a list like that makes him appear like a minor league player.

I agree its no way to run a business and he is the one who made the mistake.
Another issue was when he sent an email blast out to every official in Wisconsin complaining about the deal the WIAA made with Gerry Davis Sports. The whole thing read like a note a 14-year-old would send a classmate about stealing her boyfriend. I wish Rex luck, but I'm not ever buying from him again.

I do have a company I've started doing more business with, though. Purchase Officials, out of Ohio. And also Gerry Davis Sports. Honig's has goine from getting 99% of my business to about 50%.