The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 12:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
It's not that he missed it that bothers me. It's that he missed it because he was out of position that bothers me.

Almost every blown call I see made by an MLB ump is due to poor mechanics or positioning. He was out of position and couldn't even see the bag or the tag, so he had to guess and he guessed wrong.

Same deal with the foul ball call in the earlier series. The ump was moving and not on the line to begin with.

If they actually put the effort into proper mechanics, we wouldn't see this rash of blown calls.
To be fair, you can't stand on the line in the outfield. You have to start a few feet fair or you'd be screened by U3 and not be able to see the plate.

That said, not sure how he missed it.
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Talking about the 2 players being tagged at third...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
let's instead try to come up with a worse call that we've ever seen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
Are the calls actually getting worse? It is sort of odd how the "worst call ever" always seems to be the latest missed call.
I found the answer in the other thread. In discussing the appeal play at third it was said that it was...

Quote:
perhaps the worst call we have ever seen in a high-profile game.
What are the odds that two of the worst calls ever would be made my the same guy during the same game? The odds are so low that I bet people just use the phrase "worst call ever" when they don't actually mean it.
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He has 400,000 reasons to be there every year.

It's not about "moving well." How well do you need to move to be in position on that fly ball? While that ball's in the air, my 81-year-old father can move 30 feet. How about taking a step TO SEE THE BAG AND THE TAG OF CANO?!? The guy's 6'7''; a half a step might have done it!

It's laziness and lack of interest. These games are important.

I-N-E-X-C-U-S-A-B-L-E
I will not disagree with you on some things...:LOL But I still dont think he is not interested... maybe slow...
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Talking about the 2 players being tagged at third...

I found the answer in the other thread. In discussing the appeal play at third it was said that it was...

What are the odds that two of the worst calls ever would be made my the same guy during the same game? The odds are so low that I bet people just use the phrase "worst call ever" when they don't actually mean it.
Not one person I have ever encountered picks apart simple English in a more haphazard fashion than you. And based on most of your picking, you shouldn't really be trying it.
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 12:51pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Worst Call Ever?

Quote:
The odds are so low that I bet people just use the phrase "worst call ever" when they don't actually mean it.
If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times - don't exaggerate!
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 01:11pm

THE WORST CALL EVER

Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpmazza View Post
are you telling me 45K people were at the snack bar at the same time watching the replay? for 2 times this week I have to agree with steve here..LOL
For one, ummm, nope not telling you there were 45K at the snack bar. I was there, 2nd row, behind the photographers well, and there were no replays on any of those calls , none.
In fact, two people sitting in front of me were remarking they couldnt wait to see the replay on the Jumbotron of the tag-up play. A couple of us explained that MLB does not allow teams/stadium personal to show controversial plays. And they didnt in this case.

The reaction by the crowd was loud, but you can bet if they were shown on the scoreborads, it would have been much more....
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckfan1 View Post
For one, ummm, nope not telling you there were 45K at the snack bar. I was there, 2nd row, behind the photographers well, and there were no replays on any of those calls , none.
In fact, two people sitting in front of me were remarking they couldnt wait to see the replay on the Jumbotron of the tag-up play. A couple of us explained that MLB does not allow teams/stadium personal to show controversial plays. And they didnt in this case.

The reaction by the crowd was loud, but you can bet if they were shown on the scoreborads, it would have been much more....
Most everyone within a couple hundred feet could see that Cano and Posada were both off the bag when they were tagged. That's a lot of people; they can make quite a sound. Add some of the other people who were farther away that saw it easily, plus the ones watching monitors live and on replay, and you have a big-time roar.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Wed Oct 21, 2009 at 02:00pm.
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 02:07pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckfan1 View Post
They are not supposed to and they didnt , nothing has changed. Nothing was violated. They are not supposed to show controversial plays on the scoreboards, big screens etc....and they didnt.
The crowd was reacting to seeing it on tvs throughtout the stadium. In the luxery boxes, concession stands, and the tvs placed around the concourse on the inside....as at all stadiums.
Nothing was shown on the two main boards....
Well, the TV announcers said on the blown pick-off of Swisher at 2nd base by Dale Scott that the fans were watching the replay on the Jumbotron and reacting to the blown call. Why would they say that if they didn't see the replay themselves along with the fans?
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 02:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Well, the TV announcers said on the blown pick-off of Swisher at 2nd base by Dale Scott that the fans were watching the replay on the Jumbotron and reacting to the blown call. Why would they say that if they didn't see the replay themselves along with the fans?
I cannot speak for this specific play, but I have been in arenas where controversial calls are made and they do not show them arbitrary on the Jumbotron. And I am sure someone that is there would know how the crowd reaction would be. I know when they do show a close play in other situations, the crowd goes nuts when they "think" the call has been blown. There was no question in this case. And I do not know why anyone here would take the advice of the announcers considering how accurate they have been in the past about plays and situations.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

When Chick Hearn died, I listened to Laker games with music playing, because by listening to Chick for 38 years, it was impossible to listen to a common announcer call a game. Sometimes, we're better off with a seasoned eye of our own than with the observations of an appointed "expert." Guys like Morgan and McCarver are more for comic relief than for our edification.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Wed Oct 21, 2009 at 02:28pm.
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 02:27pm

Quote:
When Chick Hearn died, I listened to Laker games with music playing, because by listening to Chick for 38 years, it was impossible to listen to a common announcer call a game.
Yeah, I sure miss him. But now he's in the refrigerator, the eggs are getting cold and the butter is getting hard! I remember listening to Chick when Chamberlain was the center and Abdul-Jabbar was known only as Lou Alcindor!
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah, I sure miss him. But now he's in the refrigerator, the eggs are getting cold and the butter is getting hard! I remember listening to Chick when Chamberlain was the center and Abdul-Jabbar was known only as Lou Alcindor!
"The eggs are coolin' ..."

That was contributed by James Worthy's mom.

A little history on The Refrigerator: In a game that the Lakers were sure to win, as soon as he thought they iced it, Chick declared, “This ballgame’s in the Refrigerator!" Then he would add: "The door is closed, the light’s out, the eggs are coolin’, the butter’s gettin’ hard and the Jell-oooo’s jigglin’!” Chick started doing this in the mid-’50s when he broadcasted Bradley University games. It started with “This ballgame’s in the Refrigerator!” A while later, during the Lakers days came “The door is closed and the light’s out.” That sustained for many years. In the ’80s Showtime era, James Worthy’s mom had him add “The eggs are coolin’ and the butter’s gettin’ hard.” And some years later, a fan suggested that he add “The Jello’s jigglin.’”

Only twice, in all the years that Chick was informing us that a game had been decided, did an opponent actually catch up: An early-’90s regular season game in Denver and a 2002 overtime game in Portland. Hundreds and hundreds of calls, and he was wrong twice.

The announcing gods number a mere few now in all the sports. It's a shame we have to listen to another guy share the mike with all but Vin Scully. That's the best part of his games: there's no idiot analyst like Morgan spoiling Vinny's broadcast.
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
THE WORST CALL EVER

I am going to defend Tim a little here. I definitely think he got the play wrong and won't argue that. I also won't argue that a step or two of hustle may have let him see the play. With that said, here are my comments.

The picture that SDS shows in my opinion oversimplifies what happened in the play. Both Cano and Posada were moving simultaneously. Tim is focused on Posada because it is obvious the Angels want to get him out first. As Posada is tagged he and Mike Napoli are both between Tim and Cano. In the replay shot from behind 3B you can clearly see this. Cano is not on the bag when he is tagged but it is possible that Posada and Napoli blocked Tim out. When Posada and Napoli clear out, Cano is standing on the bag. I also think Tim wouldn't even guess that a runner would stop 2 feet from the bag and just stand there. Why Cano did this is still unexplainable to me.

Had Tim adjusted prior to the play, he may have had a better angle on Cano but gotten straight lined on Posada. In real time the tags happended very fast so I doubt he could put much thought into what angle would give him the best position for both runners. Might have done better, maybe not.

My beef in this play is what happened to Jerry Layne? I am assuming he trailed the play at least a few feet up the 3B line. He should have had a good look at Cano off the bag and could have offered help. From the plate looking up the 3rd baseline, this is an easy call with no one in the way.

I still don't know why he called Swisher out for leaving early. He never even looked at Swisher and should have gotten a far better angle to line up the tag and catch.

Lawrence

Last edited by Lawrence.Dorsey; Wed Oct 21, 2009 at 07:02pm.