The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Cub42
Maybe....

Just as in any level of ball, you have guys that are solid mechanically, in Game Mgt, and judgement wise. Then you have those who are constantly in trouble. That will not or can not accept criticism or take instruction. Those whose reputation is poor, whether justified or not. But this is for sure, once the players, Mgrs, press, etc. see you as HS, that does not go away. They will not believe you right or wrong. Any close call or decision brings the heat. I suspect this is the case here.
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 06:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub42 View Post
Just as in any level of ball, you have guys that are solid mechanically, in Game Mgt, and judgement wise. Then you have those who are constantly in trouble. That will not or can not accept criticism or take instruction. Those whose reputation is poor, whether justified or not. But this is for sure, once the players, Mgrs, press, etc. see you as HS, that does not go away. They will not believe you right or wrong. Any close call or decision brings the heat. I suspect this is the case here.
And this applies to this situation how?

Peace
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 06:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump Rube View Post
Yeah, me Minnesotans are too nice to say anything. Minnesota Nice that is what we are known for. (Although to be far it really is Minnesota Passive-Aggressive)
I should have said NOT JUST Twins fans...
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Cub42
Meaning He is in over his head, and obviously he is in trouble constantly
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
This post is a bit of a rant, so ignore it if you like.

There are issues with this that MLB and the umpire's union needs to address (IMO).

First, with a call this obviously poor (not just missed... poor - the ball was fair for two easily seen reasons: it hit the players glove in fair territory, and it hit the ground in fair territory) in a playoff game, there needs to be some repercussions for the umpire. A call this bad is poor in general, and in a playoff game, unacceptable.

Second, with the obvious conflict of interest for MLB (they clearly make more money if the Yankees advance than if the Twins advance), there needs to be transparency in how the umpire is disciplined. With a call this poor, there will be (and is) the chatter that it was favoritism.

Third, there needs to be transparency in how umpires are selected for the playoffs, for the same reason as #2, and it needs to be merit-based. Cuzzi has somewhat of a history of poor calls that favor the Yankees. Why was he assigned to this series?

MLB cannot afford to appear to be tolerating incompetent umpires in the playoffs neither can they afford the appearance of impropriety in the officiating.

The pretend commissioner is no help. In responding to the call for instant replay for calls of this kind that resulted from the poor call, he mumbled something about baseball cannot tolerate the delay. With the generally slow pace of MLB, this is obviously baloney. Further, his credibility as a man of integrity is, well, laughable. There are real and good reasons why IR for this kind of call is a bad idea (e.g. play stops with the FOUL call; you can't recreate the continuing action that would have happened, etc.), but for a man of seedy reputation to make such an obviously silly reason for no IR just adds fuel to the speculation that something is amiss.
Come on now. We all know that only the NBA does that.
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 07:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub42 View Post
Meaning He is in over his head, and obviously he is in trouble constantly
Is he really in a lot of trouble or is this just your perception? Perception is not often reality.
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Phil Cuzzi

After missing that call Cuzzi should be fined and taken off the crew and not be allowed to umpire anymore this year. That was not even a hard call to make for gosh sakes total incompetence.
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Blame the Twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
After missing that call Cuzzi should be fined and taken off the crew and not be allowed to umpire anymore this year. That was not even a hard call to make for gosh sakes total incompetence.
The Twins didn't say anything when they had the opportunity. Its nothing but old milk now.
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 08:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
The Twins didn't say anything when they had the opportunity. Its nothing but old milk now.
The Twins didn't have a replay to look at 42 times in slow motion. By the time someone from the clubhouse told Gardenhire what had happened it was too late to argue.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Good grief. Get a grip. An umpire missed a call. We don't know why. Yes, from our vantage point it should have been an easy call to make. No one here knows what it looked like to him or what he was thinking at the time.

But apparently the reason, if there is one, doen't matter. Let's put his head on a pike outsided the entrance to the Twins Stadium as a warning to all other umpires.

Last edited by Ump153; Tue Oct 13, 2009 at 09:12pm.
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
His punishment will probably be not making the world series crew... but like the guy before me said, he is a human and we can make mistakes.
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, the Twins fan boards, while generally angry about the call, were more angry with Gomez' LL bench player base running, Nathan's blown save, and leaving 17 baserunners stranded.
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

I think the call would be a lot easier to accept if it hadn't been a fly ball fair/foul call---the easiest call in all of umpiring.
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
I think the call would be a lot easier to accept if it hadn't been a fly ball fair/foul call---the easiest call in all of umpiring.
Easier than calling ball/strike when the batter takes a full swing?
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
How often have you made that call as the LF line umpire in a major league game, positioned, perhaps, too damn close to the play?
Closed Thread