The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 09, 2009, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Phil Cuzzi's Vision

is listed on Ebay right now.

It's being described as "new in box-never used".

Old Fri Oct 09, 2009, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
And the Twins were the victims--really stinks. I've never seen a major league ump miss such a fair/foul call. The only excuse I can think is that he misjudged that the ball was touched by F7 over foul ground? Still not good.

Of course, failing to score with bases loaded and no outs stinks worse.

P-Sz
Old Fri Oct 09, 2009, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Two of the worst blown calls I have ever seen were made by C.B. Bucknor at first in last night's Angels-Sox game. And there was a huge kick at third in Philadelphia.

But that fair/foul was beyond belief. You have one thing to do all effing night and then that's it?!? Wow.

The best of the best.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 03:25am
Official Forum Member

So why didn't everyone here go to the umpires school so we could have competent umpires in MLB.

Horsesh!t baseball to get caught at second and tagged before the run scored at the plate earlier in the game, to end the inning and possibly score more runs.
Horsesh!t baseball when you cannot score in that same inning of the call with the bases loaded and 0 outs.
Horsesh!t baseball when the manager in the postgame interview has to ask the press, there were 6 umpires right, because he didn't really know.
Who stranded runners all night?
Who gave up a game tying home run in the bottom of the 9th-How about the walk-off in the 11th?

Last edited by tballump; Sat Oct 10, 2009 at 04:27am.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by tballump View Post
So why didn't everyone here go to the umpires school so we could have competent umpires in MLB.

Horsesh!t baseball to get caught at second and tagged before the run scored at the plate earlier in the game, to end the inning and possibly score more runs.
Horsesh!t baseball when you cannot score in that same inning of the call with the bases loaded and 0 outs.
Horsesh!t baseball when the manager in the postgame interview has to ask the press, there were 6 umpires right, because he didn't really know.
Who gave up a game tying home run in the bottom of the 9th-How about the walk-off in the 11th?
I agree with you that Minnesota dug themselves into a hole all night. But Cuzzi's call down the line can't be defended. He was right on top of it, didn't look like he got straightlined, and absolutely kicked it big time.

Tim.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

2009 ALDS: Twins@ Yankees | Game 2 | MIN@NYY Gm 2: Umpire Tschida explains disputed call - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post
I agree with you that Minnesota dug themselves into a hole all night. But Cuzzi's call down the line can't be defended. He was right on top of it, didn't look like he got straightlined, and absolutely kicked it big time.

Tim.
I agree with you that he absolutely kicked it big time.

So, why didn't everyone on this forum go to the umpire school and become MLBU? I am sure this would not have happened if the people on this board were MLBU.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

One of several with Cuzzi and the Yankees.

That call was not why the Twins lost the game. Leaving 17 runners on base is a good start.

But, I have to say these are things that make you go hmmmm...

Rd. 2: Guillen upset with umpire Cuzzi | whitesox.com: News

Home rules for New York Yankees; Indians lose, 6-5 | Cleveland Indians - cleveland.com - - cleveland.com

Ozzie Guillen Is Not A Fan of Phil Cuzzi -- MLB FanHouse

Sports: Healing Thome gets extra swings
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Actually he slipped trying to go to 3rd and couldnt get up in time... so it wasnt like he was trying to just stand off the base, he just slipped and Jeter saw it and got him out..
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtnblu View Post
is listed on Ebay right now.

It's being described as "new in box-never used".

Does it come with a bonus pack of the magic floating strike zone thet the PU had?
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Too many, too close

I won't participate in pro umpire criticism. I saw it, watched replays, and watched the interview of the crew chief.

Obvious Dept: The best professional umpires make mistakes, sometimes.

But what I think is interesting to discuss is the 6 umpire system, under the category of WHY? Doesn't it seem that more often than not over the years you have the line umpire getting near a play and missing it?

Seems to me that fair and foul is pretty well covered with 4 umpires. And last night maybe by being THAT close it contributes to the miss.

Of course the 2 extra umpires are getting big playoff money, so from umpires perspective it won't change.

But... really... does it help? How often have you seen a call that you say could only have been made (correctly) with 6 umpires.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Wow! That call sure required a lot of excuses! It must have really been a horsesh!t call.

Blind defense of all umpires regardless of anything and everything is not the sign of loyalty that you think it is.

And to come at every critic with that convoluted if-not-for-this-play-or-that-error-or-this-bad-decision-then-the-call-wouldn't-have-mattered approach is an insult to everyone who knows the game. Another insult is that if-you-can-do-better-then-why-aren't-you-out-there nonsense.

This is America; we're allowed to find fault with the big people in this society and the way they run things and then voice it.

Say all you want about everything that happened before the call; it is indefensible. Period. He's in the major leagues for crying out loud! If you want to be a blindly loyal, blissfully accepting follower, that is your right. But you don't have to be so defensive and insulting of people who choose to have their eyes and minds open to what the realities are.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Sat Oct 10, 2009 at 10:50am.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

I won't defend the call, but Minnesota had every opportunity to win that game. It's sad that the one horrendous fair/foul call will overshadow the fact that Minnesota should have easily won that game.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
We can't defend the call, he simply blew it.

We also don't know what was in his head, or what he saw from his angle. Replay can't view the play from the precise place that the official sees the play, which is why I'm against replay in baseball.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Another thing that makes that thing so egregious is that it almost couldn't have been an easier call to blow. Zero factors, just watching the ball hit the glove and the ground. Preposterous.

The game is what it is. A call late in a close game can decide it. If you blow it, you can hand a game to a team. Nothing else at that point is really relevant. It just lessens the sting to bring it up.
Closed Thread