The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 27, 2009, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
Tball, are you afraid of a coach calling your assignor and effecting your schedule? In all my years of umpiring I have never heard such a ridiculous assertion, that someone would ignore a situation that needed handling, because it might make a coach angry. Unbelievable, as it just doesn't happen where I am.
Coaches have virtually no pull with the assignor in Southern California, either. That coach rating input and coach preference stuff is a thing of the past. My main assignor couldn't care less about what any coach or AD thinks.

And if they did, I would still stand up the same way I do all the time, because I think respecting the game is paramount, and respecting oneself is up there pretty high.

I've had to run a few players from the 18-U and 25-U wood bat leagues, and one came in a game with my assignor (who's also my high school assignor). Another came in a battle-for-first-place game, in which I was lightly assaulted (bumped, beaked, mildly butted, shoved) and the president and assignor immediately agreed to kick the guy out of the league. He was suspended before I got home, and banned before I finished my report.

The result of standing up and respecting The Game and demanding respect for it: The assignor gave me two championship games with his own crew. That's how that guy backs his umpires, and that's why I drive farther to work for him. Every now and then, you get to drive to some stadium for a championship game.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Mon Sep 28, 2009 at 12:11am.
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 07:14am
Get away from me, Steve.

I stood up to a bully HS football coach 5 years ago and I haven't gotten a game in that conference (football or basketball) since. I do work baseball since another guy assigns that for the conference.

While I regret that the assignor is a small minded man who has no clue what makes a good official, I'll simply have to make do not working his conference. There are plenty others.

Funny thing - I work non-conference games football/basketball games at those conference schools since those area assigned by the ADs and schools themselves. I'm good enough for them, I guess.
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Same as drawing in the dirt?

Would you guys consider motioning with the hand below the knee the same as drawing in the dirt with your bat?

I was getting ready to toss a kid for doing it but his 3rd base coach came running, screaming at me before I had a chance so I tossed the coach.
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersUmp View Post
Would you guys consider motioning with the hand below the knee the same as drawing in the dirt with your bat?
Yep.
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I was getting ready to toss a kid for doing it but his 3rd base coach came running, screaming at me before I had a chance so I tossed the coach.
1. Yes.

2. Sounds like you were too slow running the batter. Did you have to wind up, or maybe stretch first?

3. Was there some reason that they both did not deserve to go?
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

No doubt about it

I'm a long-time coach, and if one of my kids did either of those things and didn't get tossed, the PU wouldn't be backing up what I try to teach, which is show up, shut up, and play. If there's any beef with an umpire, it'll be mine, but I guarantee there wouldn't be one on something like this.
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:

There is actually a funny story about just that involving Johnny Bench. I forget who the two umps supposedly were, but Bench was catching and the P was asking where the called balls were, and Bench wasn't saying anything - like he should. After the half inning, the 1B ump comes in and tells the PU that Bench was using his hands to tell the P if he thought the pitches the PU was calling were either wrong high or wrong low. So Bench comes up and the first pitch to him almost bounces in the dirt and PU calls it a strike - loudly, so Bench asks where it was and the PU just holds his hand about waist high....
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
It should also be mentioned belatedly that Ichiro's ejection was also the first one for ANY Mariner player all season....
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 10:01pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
It should also be mentioned belatedly that Ichiro's ejection was also the first one for ANY Mariner player all season....
Impressive. I don't know the answer, but has an MLB team ever gone an entire season w/o an ejection?
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Impressive. I don't know the answer, but has an MLB team ever gone an entire season w/o an ejection?
If news article is correct:

"The Mariners came within seven games of becoming the first Major League team since 1994 to go through an entire season without having someone ejected.

The Twins had perfect deportment during the strike-shortened '94 season."
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokanelurker View Post
I'm a long-time coach, and if one of my kids did either of those things and didn't get tossed, the PU wouldn't be backing up what I try to teach, which is show up, shut up, and play. If there's any beef with an umpire, it'll be mine, but I guarantee there wouldn't be one on something like this.
That's nice to hear from a coach.
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 03:39pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
The Twins had perfect deportment during the strike-shortened '94 season.
The Twins won't have a chance at enjoying that record again as long as Gardenshire is managing.
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 07:16pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
The Twins won't have a chance at enjoying that record again as long as Gardenshire is managing.
That's for sure!!!
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:

Around here, that's called a "two-for-one special". No way is that coach coming running going to save his kid.
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What was he screaming?