The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 02:22am
Official Forum Member

In the National Prep tourney a right fielder was telling me how the BU in a previous game was hit in the hand by a line drive past the pitcher. And then told me it broke his clicker!!!!

Ahahahahahahaha. I knew right away it wasn't our association. Turns out it was some Tacoma umpire!
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Boone

Having worked in Seattle for a number of years (first for Perk Pemble and then for Jack Miller) I have told storoes after stories about how well trained NBUA umpires are trained.

Memory fails me as to the last time I actually "talked" to my partner between innings. As a BU I head for RF as soon as the third out is made and stand "mostly" with my back to the infield (maybe turned some to watch for "talent").

I will offer a little "extension" on your statement about the PU placement during 1/2 inning change over. You made it sound like he goes "here" during this 1/2 inning and "here" during the other 1/2 inning. Under EVERY condidtion.

The "correct" direction is for the PU to place himself on the side of the diamond closest to the dugout of the current defensive team.

Selection of dugout by teams can change having the hard and fast rule as you described.

Working with Gooch we had a "sign" for hot babes AND their location so we could do our grazing without a conference.

Keep up your good work!
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Talking Re: Boone

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
Working with Gooch we had a "sign" for hot babes AND their location so we could do our grazing without a conference.
Sorry, Tim, but I can't resist. Can you tell us who has the best outfield grass? Infield?

LOL....did you mean "gazing?"
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Talking Re: Re: Boone

Quote:
Originally posted by Striker991
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
Sorry, Tim, but I can't resist. Can you tell us who has the best outfield grass? Infield?

LOL....did you mean "gazing?"
No, Tee probably meant grazing. I've heard that he likes to eat [a part of the female anatomy]. :o)
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Guys: Thank you for your responses to my post. I think it shows that although many of us do things differently, it does not necessarily mean we are right or wrong in our practices.

By the way, I think this thread has finally "jumped the shark."
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Tim, when did you last work in Seattle? I never took games from Pemble. Its been Jack for all my 16 years. Gooch and I have no such signals....but I'm gonna find out!

You are right of course on the placement. For simplicity I was assuming the standard home/third, visitor/first arrangement.
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

You guys crack me up.
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

we aim to please.
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down JC Christmas

You people with your blankies just don't get it.

You don't need it. Just try to get the outs and safes right, ok.

PU will take care of balls and strikes...

Geeky, bush league, the stuff of low level JV umpires....

And hey, WHO is this BOONE guy? Is he planning on responding to EVERY thread on the forum.. take a break, dude.
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

BJ Moosie . . .

Mouseman, hehehehe.

Boone, I left Seattle at the end of '88.

Worked the first game ever at Bannerwood (with the late, great George Eshelman -- who NEVER worked a plate game with me in nine YEARS).

Worked everyone from Tom Lampkin to John Olrude in summer ball and from Kevin Stocker to John Elway in games at UW. Watch the Kirkland LL World champs grow into High School and college players. Laughed at Gooch everytime he threw that underhand softball toss back to the pitcher.

Worked extensively in the old Western International League (hey, Harold Pyette actually posted a question over on McGriff's) with The Painter's, Huskey Fever, The Studs and Adair's.

Met B J Moose at a Golden State Umpire Clinic (he is a "low level JV umpire" in your group -- hehehehe, inside joke).

And GRAZING is exactly the term I used and meant. "Grazing" to me means taking a "visual" bite of every great halter top in attendence.

[Edited by Tim C on Jul 26th, 2002 at 01:33 PM]
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

I've worked some games with the Moose. Not too impressed. Probably one of those guys who leaves it all on the web...
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

I have'nt used an indicator on the bases or behind the plate in 10 years. LL thru College. I have yet to figure out what is so difficult in keeping track of 3 balls and 2 strikes. Actually it keeps me into the game. Have I made mistakes? yes. Less than the officials that use an indicator. I once had a partner that challanged me to try this and since then, I can not use one.

Ive taken a lot of grief from other officials and coaches who insist that you cant do that, its not professional, its just bad mechanics. Every reason in the world, why it should not be done. I figured it out, bottom line THEY CANT DO IT. Oh well, it has worked for me.