The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

The other day as I was getting gear on, my partner came over for a pre-game with his ball bag on. I said, "I thought I was doing the plate."
He said, "You are. I sometimes wear my ball bag on the bases."
I blurted out, "That's GEEKY!" (couldn't help it)
He did take it off and said his wife would appreciate me letting him know it was geeky.

Anyway, this got me thinking about what different umpires do, what's unacceptable (written and unwritten), and what's customary by region, and what's personal preference. Here is what I came up with:

My personal practices: Don't wear a ball bag on bases, don't carry a rule book on the field, don't wear a watch, don't use an indicator on the bases, wear proper uniform (no white socks, t-shirts) with black belt and shoes, fitted hat (no beanie), don't be a "talker" chatting with coaches, players and your partner throughout the game. Just for the record: When other umps do these things, I keep my mouth shut (except for involuntary response mentioned above).

These don't touch on mechanics, but that could be another thread. Well, I'll mention one: These guys from another state always pointed to the pitcher's feet everytime he stepped onto the rubber. This drove me CRAZY, but they said it's what their association teaches.

Just wonder what some of you may have for dos and don'ts.
Not looking for arguments about where we disagree.
Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Never saw an ump point at the pitcher's feet; never heard of that practice, either. Why not an indicator on the bases? POS+ even advertises their "braille" indicator as ideal for base umps. Watches never bothered me, but when I was doing Fed I obeyed their rule and took mine off.

Shabby clothing is what bothers me most. Most of the Fed umps around here wear proper uniforms, but some of the softball guys--hats with what looks like 20 years of grime on them, blue shirt they wear at the factory, black jeans, equipment on the outside, shirttails half out, giant decorative belt buckles, work boots.

To me, there's something "geeky" about nit-picking safety and uniform rules, too. Making the coaches stay within the lines of the box, counting the warmup pitches. Umps that do those things remind me of deputy Barney Fife.
Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Marty Rogers

My personal practices: Don't wear a ball bag on bases, don't carry a rule book on the field, don't wear a watch, don't use an indicator on the bases, wear proper uniform (no white socks, t-shirts) with black belt and shoes, fitted hat (no beanie), don't be a "talker" chatting with coaches, players and your partner throughout the game. Just for the record: When other umps do these things, I keep my mouth shut (except for involuntary response mentioned above).

These don't touch on mechanics, but that could be another thread. Well, I'll mention one: These guys from another state always pointed to the pitcher's feet everytime he stepped onto the rubber. This drove me CRAZY, but they said it's what their association teaches.

This type of thread is an "association" thing more than a personal preference thread. The association in which one works dictates what one should wear including accessories.

I'll take STRONG exception to the following:

don't use an indicator on the bases
don't be a "talker" chatting with coaches, players

I ALWAYS use an indicator on the bases and it is preferred in the association in which I work. I know the PRo umpires do not carry indicators on the bases and I believe NCAA BU's do not carry them either, but to me this is both an "association" thing and a matter of preference.

As far as being a talker again I think this is a matter of preference and one's personality. IMO Umpiring should be fun and I personally don't mind chatting with the coaches / players. I agree we shouldn't converse with our partners during the game unless we have to, but chatting with players / coaches I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

I chatted when I played the game and I chat now.

Pete Booth
Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Smile

I carry my indicator on the bases. I often work with less than experienced umps and often need to keep track of the count and outs for the time when the inevitable question comes up. Also, at my age, it isn't always possible to remember how many outs there are when the last one may have occurred 20 minutes ago.
I only wear my ball bag in the field when we work on one of our fields which has a creek running behind it. I carry extra balls in my bag and hopefully, between the PU and I we will have enough to get through the game. I also wear the bag when the fields are wet so I can carry a towel to dry off the balls as they come in from the outfield.

Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

I gotta confess I use an indicator when I'm on the bases I just can't always remember the count and it helps keep me in the game. The score board keepers don't always do the best job when it is used, if they even have one. Also the PU seems to refer to me at least a couple times a game when he's lost track of the count or outs or BOTH.
I do tend to pay attention to most of the safety rules. I kinda like my house and don't really want some nit picking judge to give it to some players parents.
I probably spend two or three minutes a game talking to players and coaches. I'm not a wooden indian, I umpire because I like the game and the kids that play it.
I notice MLB umpires seem to be quite talkative with the players these days.
All this being said I do know where your coming from and I do my best to look, act and sound professional.
Porch Dog
Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

The Pro Schools seem to have a problem with using an indicator on the bases. The only advocates I know of all buy into that philosophy after a clinic or class led by a Pro School graduate.

In the reality of the real world for most of us, neither we nor the scoreboard operators are becoming millionaires, and we have "real" jobs which require most of our "thinking" time.

I guess if I had a fellow running the board making 60K a year, and partners who could consider our game the most important thing on their minds at all times, I'd try working without one when doing the bases. Presently, I'll plan on using one at all times.

An interesting aside....I attended a pre-tournament clinic in which both instructors were preaching "no indicator on the bases". The next time these guys worked together, they lost the count and/or outs three times. At our next clinic, we were advised that it would be O.K. for at least one base ump to have his indicator, in addition to the plate man.

Senior
Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

I use an indicator on the bases. If nothing else, it helps me keep my head in the game and stay focused on every pitch.

Never saw a ball bag in the field. Not sure what you would put in it. Seems like it would slow you down too.

I keep a non metallic watch in my ball bag when I am behind the dish and I wear it on my wrist when I am in the field. Most of our games are timed and it is useful to know where you are.

I don't talk with coaches during a game, but I do occasionally talk to my partner say every other inning or so. Some like it, some don't. You learn which is which pretty quick.
Old Thu Jul 25, 2002, 02:42am
Official Forum Member

If you don't have a bag, where would you store your brush to brush off the pitcher's rubber?

JK. I never carry anything on the bases. In fact, when doing the plate, the BU is the last person I'd ask for the count. NOT THEIR JOB. And on the bases I've got enough to do watching for balks and calling pickoffs etc.
Old Thu Jul 25, 2002, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

The PU can lose track of the count, and it's good to have backup from the BU. How many times, after a pitch--a passed ball, a wild pitch, a steal, a catcher's pickoff attempt, or a foul that the fielders had a play on but missed--have you wondered, "Did I click it?"

I've also looked down at my indicator and seen an impossible count--most likely from failing to reset it after some distraction. The only time I was 100 percent accurate was in a one-man game in which I had forgotten my indicator and kept track on my fingers. I was so afraid of losing the count that I was conscious of it at every moment.

With several guys I work with, we routinely check the count with each other after every instance where we might have failed to click the pitch. Also, either one of us can flash the indicator to the other, meaning, "Give me the count."
Old Thu Jul 25, 2002, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Yep,

In support of Boone if I were the UIC I would not ALLOW my BU to wear a ball bag on the bases. I don't care if he carries an indiclikercounter since I would NEVER ask him the count. Personally I have never carried an indiclickercounter on the bases. I can keep the count in my head, pretty easily.

In over 30 years I have probably "cleaned" the pitcher's plate twice (ONLY WHEN ASKED) and Ihave done it with the toe of my shoe.

I don't carry a brush on the bases.

Old Thu Jul 25, 2002, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

If only you'd focus each and every game like the one where you forgot your indicator....

My two main reasons for not "carrying" while working the bases:

A) the chance of me having the correct count isn't even close to that of the PU as I'm probably clicking balls on every pick off move.

and the greatest reason:

B) IT LOOKS BUSH!
Old Thu Jul 25, 2002, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to robert
First of all I always use a clean newly washed uniform. Everything tucked in. RIght socks and everything.

I might talk to the first or third base coach a little, but not much. I feel that getting too chummy with coaches, and players, in hibits my ability to make fair calls. For example, if there is a runner on first and I am in A (I think that A is behind First, Im not sure) and I talk to the base coach, I might be "scared" or intimidated. This is probably because I am only 16, and we all know how intelligent coaches are, I just can't do it, I'd crack. I do, however, talk to my pard during the game. I ahve had the same pard since I started working the 13-14 games. I work with a guy who is 20 and we are friends. Never saw a problem with this.

As far as the clicker on the bases, I don't do it when I am on the bases. I think that this is unporfessional, and I trust my pard with the count.
Old Thu Jul 25, 2002, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Robert,

I have to say that it is good to see younger umpires umpiring. I started when I was 13 and I try very hard to get new umpires involved each year. I'm now 23 and train new umpires that we get each yet.

I'm not going to get into whether or not a base umpire with a clicker is unprofessional or not but I will say that some people are very strongly against meeting with your partner every half inning. Some would say this is unprofessional, I would tend to agree. Others might say it "may" show the coaches you were unsure about a play. My partner and I have a sign if we need to talk after a half inning but we always stay in our positions until the end of the game otherwise. If you can you want to avoid meeting with your partner after a controversial call. As you said, we know how intelligent coaches are and it is at this point they will think you are questioning about a call.

Good luck man, I Hope you stick with umpiring for a long time.
Old Thu Jul 25, 2002, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to robert
Jeremy-
I never really thought about it that way (the talking to pard thing)no that I think about it that way, it does seem unprofessional, and I will stop doing that at once unless a chat is completely necesary.

As far as the clicker thing, what I said was more me quoting the Coordinator.

Sory about the spelling, its late.
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

I actually umped little league from 12 to 16, took high school off, and continued at 21 through now...37! I'm a veteran in my association, just a young one.

I know there are guys who never come in and chat with the partner. Others chat all the time. I used to be one of those. Now there are only two things that will get me in to talk:

a) baseball related issues...missed coverages etc that we got away with but want to correct right now, and even mechanic fixes such as head height etc. if the partner is willing to learn.

2) hot babe in the stands.

Never come in between the top and bottom of the inning. (the PU should be at the 45' mark of the third base line. Only come in between the bottom of an inning and top of the next when the PU is on the first base line.

Also never come in right after a nice ring up by PU or any sort of banger by either one of you. Talk about it a couple innings later.

Oh...doubleheader of the week: Prep National Tournament (Connie Mac) at Husky ballpark in Seattle: Partner's dish: Hour-23. Booney's Hour-18. yeah baby yeah!