The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 20, 2009, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

B/R touching fair ball

The LF corner website (that follows Umpire ejections) says both these call were correct. Whats the concensus on here?

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | WSH@CIN: Jacoby gets tossed before the third inning - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
Old Thu Aug 20, 2009, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

I thought I was sure, but now I'm not

Both batted balls bounced off the ground and hit the batter in fair territory (the second might have been over the fair portion of the batter's box) while he still had a foot in contact with the batter's box and before the other foot had touched entirely out of the batter's box. I thought the rule was that a batted ball, including a ball that has hit the ground already, hitting a batter still in the box (defined as no foot on the ground outside of the box) is foul. I would have called both foul, but I think now I might have been wrong.

OBR 6.05(g): "A batter is out when his fair ball touches him before touching a fielder."

OBR 2.00: "A foul ball is a batted ball . . .that , while on or over foul territory, touches the person of a . . . player . . .."

I don't have my J/R with me. What is the MLBUM ruling on this? Does the position of the batter's feet matter at all?
Old Thu Aug 20, 2009, 12:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR12 View Post
The LF corner website (that follows Umpire ejections) says both these call were correct. Whats the concensus on here?

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | WSH@CIN: Jacoby gets tossed before the third inning - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
I find the person that runs that site to have no common sense or feel for what is correct or incorrect. He will, with a straight face, take a pitch a computer says is an inch outside and say the umpire was incorrect.

If I ever played in such a thing, I would only use that guy for tracking the ejections (which is great if you like watching those videos since you can subscribe to his RSS feed).
Old Thu Aug 20, 2009, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I find the person that runs that site to have no common sense or feel for what is correct or incorrect. He will, with a straight face, take a pitch a computer says is an inch outside and say the umpire was incorrect.

If I ever played in such a thing, I would only use that guy for tracking the ejections (which is great if you like watching those videos since you can subscribe to his RSS feed).
He also says umpires are correct when they clearly aren't in some cases, the OP being one example.
Old Thu Aug 20, 2009, 02:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Both batted balls bounced off the ground and hit the batter in fair territory (the second might have been over the fair portion of the batter's box) while he still had a foot in contact with the batter's box and before the other foot had touched entirely out of the batter's box. I thought the rule was that a batted ball, including a ball that has hit the ground already, hitting a batter still in the box (defined as no foot on the ground outside of the box) is foul. I would have called both foul, but I think now I might have been wrong.

OBR 6.05(g): "A batter is out when his fair ball touches him before touching a fielder."

OBR 2.00: "A foul ball is a batted ball . . .that , while on or over foul territory, touches the person of a . . . player . . .."

I don't have my J/R with me. What is the MLBUM ruling on this? Does the position of the batter's feet matter at all?
You were right the first time. Both were foul, Gibson and this guy at the Web site are both wrong, just like Gibson was wrong on the swipe tag call last night.

MLBUM says it's foul. Evans says it's foul. J/R says it's foul. My dog says it's foul. Greg Gibson says it's an out.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Aug 26, 2009, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
He also says umpires are correct when they clearly aren't in some cases, the OP being one example.
Wait. He's not perfect? He actually makes mistakes on BOTH sides, and only very seldomly? He needs to watch out -- he's becoming more and more like an umpire every day!
Old Sun Sep 27, 2009, 06:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
You were right the first time. Both were foul, Gibson and this guy at the Web site are both wrong
I have searched the OBR where it says that the batters box is a sanctuary if the batter is hit by a fair ball, but can't find it.

6.05(g) says that the batter is out if hit by a fair ball, and part of the batters box is clearly in fair territory.
I know that most people says that if the batter is still in the box when he is hit it's a foul, but I can't find where to refere this in the OBR.

Could these calls actually be correct?
Old Sun Sep 27, 2009, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

First of all, both batters were hit in fair territory and called out because that is what was called, period.

Secondly, strictly as a professional armchair umpire with the benefit of slow-mo replay only, I can see that they were foul balls.

Sooooooo, bottom line here, JR12 gets the "I Found An Error by a MLB Umpire Award" for today. Thanks for passing this frivilous info along.

Slow day at the house JR?
Old Sun Sep 27, 2009, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun View Post
I have searched the OBR where it says that the batters box is a sanctuary if the batter is hit by a fair ball, but can't find it.
Because it's not in there. But, as an interp, if the batter is hit by the ball when the ball is in the box, it's treated as a foul ball.
Old Sun Sep 27, 2009, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

I won't call that unless he's WAY out of the box. Forget the "one foot on the ground entirely outside of the box" stuff. That only applies at the moment the bat contacts the ball (for a different rule). For me, the batter pretty much needs to run into his batted ball to be called out. Otherwise, I have a foul ball, to be sold strongly.
Old Sun Sep 27, 2009, 06:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post

The ejection of the Marlins' manager earlier this week was a *perfect* example of this. The pitch was low, low, low, and he claimed it "skimmed the knee as it passed the front edge of the plate, the call was correct."

Dude has no freaking clue about umpiring and probably fantasizes about being a Pitch f/x operator.