The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 10, 2009, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I saw the replay of the play Gucc dumped Lou...he missed it badly. He appeared to be in the right position...just blew it.
If you watch the video Chris doesnt make the call quickly or anything - I just think in his mind as the play happened he said in his head "Im going to give that to him."
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 01:15am
Stop staring at me swan.

correct...i didn't see him make a call either.
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 02:05am

The runner should have stayed on the base and asked Guccione why he was being called out and see how that got explained. I sure don't know why. Piniella wanted to know why too.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 07:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
The runner should have stayed on the base and asked Guccione why he was being called out and see how that got explained. I sure don't know why. Piniella wanted to know why too.
That would get two people ejected. Why would an umpire have to explain anything like this to a player, right or wrong?
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 08:39am
Stop staring at me swan.

well, he didn't make a call...he could ask if he was safe or out...
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 09:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
well, he didn't make a call...he could ask if he was safe or out...
Sure, I would give another out signal then. Then what?
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 09:18am
Stop staring at me swan.

run the manager
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 09:56am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
That would get two people ejected. Why would an umpire have to explain anything like this to a player, right or wrong?
No reason (other than to not be being an arrogant as$), but if I were the player, I'd want to know how he came up with such a bonehead call. "Why was I out?" sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I normally call people out because they are out. What's Guccione going to say in this situation? He couldn't possibly have really not known he kicked it immediately after he made the call.

When I kick one that bad, I may say, "you know what, I could have messed up there." I'm not in favor of always apologizing for calls, but when you obviously miss something like this, sometimes that keeps players and managers in the game. If he had told Pinhead this when he came out, maybe he wouldn't have gotten run.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 10:11am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
No reason (other than to not be being an arrogant as$), but if I were the player, I'd want to know how he came up with such a bonehead call. "Why was I out?" sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I normally call people out because they are out. What's Guccione going to say in this situation? He couldn't possibly have really not known he kicked it immediately after he made the call.

When I kick one that bad, I may say, "you know what, I could have messed up there." I'm not in favor of always apologizing for calls, but when you obviously miss something like this, sometimes that keeps players and managers in the game. If he had told Pinhead this when he came out, maybe he wouldn't have gotten run.
If a player asked that, he'd be asking it to my back. I'd make that call and go right to my next position.

Look, there are times when a player holds the bag and tumbles off awkwardly and everybody except the umpire who was watching the bag thinks the fielder came off (when he didn't). Wasn't the case here, but I've had this happen at least once or twice this season. Why would I answer a player who asked this question? Or an assistant coach?