The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Cubs Rockies (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/54268-cubs-rockies.html)

w_sohl Sun Aug 09, 2009 04:15pm

Cubs Rockies

Noticed the 2nd base umpire using a stopwatch. What is he timing?

Ump153 Sun Aug 09, 2009 04:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by w_sohl (Post 619679)
Noticed the 2nd base umpire using a stopwatch. What is he timing?

Time between innings and half innings.

w_sohl Sun Aug 09, 2009 05:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ump153 (Post 619680)
Time between innings and half innings.

Why? Do they need to speed things up if they start to drag? Because of MLB or TV?

Ump153 Sun Aug 09, 2009 05:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by w_sohl (Post 619687)
Why? Do they need to speed things up if they start to drag? Because of MLB or TV?

TV.

They are making sure all the commercials get in and they are doing it without the Red Cap football uses.

w_sohl Sun Aug 09, 2009 05:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ump153 (Post 619688)
TV.

They are making sure all the commercials get in and they are doing it without the Red Cap football uses.

Thanks, that makes sense...

johnnyg08 Sun Aug 09, 2009 06:31pm

In the MLBUM there are a few pages on how the between inning timing goes for each network and just for between inning times.

jwwashburn Sun Aug 09, 2009 06:33pm

Maybe he was timing how long it took Lou to hobble out to argue after he kicked that call.

SanDiegoSteve Sun Aug 09, 2009 06:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 619706)
Maybe he was timing how long it took Lou to hobble out to argue after he kicked that call.

Lou tripped on the dugout steps trying to get at Guccione. Then he ran his butt off getting there. It didn't take him long, much to his credit. I don't like to take his side very often, but he sure had a beef on that one!

jwwashburn Sun Aug 09, 2009 08:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 619711)
Lou tripped on the dugout steps trying to get at Guccione. Then he ran his butt off getting there. It didn't take him long, much to his credit. I don't like to take his side very often, but he sure had a beef on that one!

One of the replays I think I read his lips-after Guccione walked away.....

Holy SH!T...What kind of SH!T was that?

SanDiegoSteve Sun Aug 09, 2009 08:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 619719)
One of the replays I think I read his lips-after Guccione walked away.....

Holy SH!T...What kind of SH!T was that?

It was indeed the smelly variety.

jwwashburn Sun Aug 09, 2009 09:30pm

When I see one that bad I wonder what the heck happened.

Did he really give him THAT much off the bag on purpose?

When the Tigers played the Cubs this year, the Tigers' announcers were goofing on how long it takes Lou to get to the mound to talk to a pitcher and just how fast he can make it when he wants to chat with an umpire.

I thought he was going to have a heart attack today.

jwwashburn Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:47pm

I just saw another angle....it was not just sh!t....there was the copulatory variety.

johnnyg08 Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:56pm

I saw the replay of the play Gucc dumped Lou...he missed it badly. He appeared to be in the right position...just blew it.

gordon30307 Mon Aug 10, 2009 04:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 619755)
I saw the replay of the play Gucc dumped Lou...he missed it badly. He appeared to be in the right position...just blew it.

It looked like an easy routine DP. He probably just anticipated and rushed the call. Just poor timing. He probably knew it at the time and didn't need to see a replay.

Last year I saw a play at first where the Atlanta runner was clearly past the base (absolutely no doubt wasn't even close to being a wacker) for the third out of the inning. Here comes Bobby Cox and I'm waiting for the ****house. After a brief discussion Boby smiled and walked back to the dugout.
I'm guessing he told Bobby he blew it.

SanDiegoSteve Mon Aug 10, 2009 07:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordon30307 (Post 619830)
It looked like an easy routine DP. He probably just anticipated and rushed the call. Just poor timing. He probably knew it at the time and didn't need to see a replay.

Last year I saw a play at first where the Atlanta runner was clearly past the base (absolutely no doubt wasn't even close to being a wacker) for the third out of the inning. Here comes Bobby Cox and I'm waiting for the ****house. After a brief discussion Boby smiled and walked back to the dugout.
I'm guessing he told Bobby he blew it.

By the way that Piniella was ejected for pointing at the spot where F4 caught the ball, I would venture to say that Guccione didn't tell him that he blew the call.:)