The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Which pitches are strikes? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/54186-pitches-strikes.html)

jicecone Sat Aug 01, 2009 08:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 618319)
Maybe the batter thought, hmm I guess that was a strike(or he usually takes the first pitch)

Then, wow...that seemed outside.

Then the last one was preposterous.

You are actually blaming a batter for not arguing balls and strikes?

The batter deserved to be 3-0 or at worst 2-1.

That umpire is awful.

And maybe the umpire was calling those pitches that way the whole game. Your willing to throw the umpire under the bus because of one batter. Well I am backing the umpire and throwing the batter under the bus.

Oh and by the way, just to set the record straight, I am awfully good, thankyou.

jwwashburn Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jicecone (Post 618375)
And maybe the umpire was calling those pitches that way the whole game. Your willing to throw the umpire under the bus because of one batter. Well I am backing the umpire and throwing the batter under the bus.

Oh and by the way, just to set the record straight, I am awfully good, thankyou.

Oh, I see. If an umpire is horrible often, it is better, eh?

You have set your fantasy record in your head straight.

In the real world, if you call those pitches strikes, you are a rotten umpire.

bob jenkins Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:59am

Additional options not discussed:

1) The camera angle was off

2) The zone was appropriate for the league

3) It was a FYC (the batter did appear to be saying something after the second pitch)

4) The umpire just missed it

5) The score was 25 - 0

jicecone Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 618386)
Oh, I see. If an umpire is horrible often, it is better, eh?

You have set your fantasy record in your head straight.

In the real world, if you call those pitches strikes, you are a rotten umpire.

Wow your expertise in baseball officiating is beyond belief. Not only are you able to determine an officials ability from one at bat, but, you are also a great evaualator of officials over the internet, that you have NEVER seen. You got talent there.

Not sure if I would enjoy working with you though because you would probably be at first base discussing my strike zone and throwing me under the bus, with your new buddy, the base coach. I see where your coming from.

I would at least suggest you take some of Bobs points into consideration though before you are so fast to criticze. Who knows, some day the camera may be watching you. But then again, I forgot your perfect all the time, right.

DonInKansas Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:05pm

I'm with Bob on this one. We don't have all the info.

And if a hitter wants to crowd the plate that much, he should be putting at least those first two pitches into left field all day long. The last one appears pretty well off the plate, but I can't call the first two gross misses.

jwwashburn Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jicecone (Post 618402)
Wow your expertise in baseball officiating is beyond belief. Not only are you able to determine an officials ability from one at bat, but, you are also a great evaualator of officials over the internet, that you have NEVER seen. You got talent there.

Not sure if I would enjoy working with you though because you would probably be at first base discussing my strike zone and throwing me under the bus, with your new buddy, the base coach. I see where your coming from.

I would at least suggest you take some of Bobs points into consideration though before you are so fast to criticze. Who knows, some day the camera may be watching you. But then again, I forgot your perfect all the time, right.

Your own post judges you. You are the one that blamed the batter for a not arguing bad calls and not swinging at a pitch in the other batters box.

I have never seen you umpire. All I am saying is that if anyone calls those pitches strikes, he or she stinks-including you.

jwwashburn Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 618387)

1) The camera angle was off

No one else here raised that. It looks like it is right on.

Quote:

Nope, the other batter's box is not a strike.

Quote:

3) It was a FYC (the batter did appear to be saying something after the second pitch)

If it was a FYC, then the umpire stinks.

Quote:

4) The umpire just missed it

It seems pretty clear to me and almost every commenter here that you are correct, sir.

Quote:

5) The score was 25 - 0

Still no excuse for the third pitch and probably not the second.

jwwashburn Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonInKansas (Post 618403)
I'm with Bob on this one. We don't have all the info.

And if a hitter wants to crowd the plate that much, he should be putting at least those first two pitches into left field all day long. The last one appears pretty well off the plate, but I can't call the first two gross misses.

Don, that is what the COACH should be saying-not the umpire. The umpire should be calling the pitches correctly.

I tell my 9 and 10 year olds to forget about the umpires and swing at the first pretty good pitch. We have had two balls that hit batters in the foot called strikes and three that hit home plate.

DonInKansas Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 618411)
I tell my 9 and 10 year olds to forget about the umpires and swing at the first pretty good pitch. We have had two balls that hit batters in the foot called strikes and three that hit home plate.

Just show them some Vladimir Guerrero tape then. :D:D

MrUmpire Sat Aug 01, 2009 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jicecone (Post 618374)
Happy Birthday Baby.

We Be just warming up here. Actually it's been fun.

I knew I was being too vague. I think MByron got it, though.

(Official Forum is 9 years old this month. My surprise is how we ever made it the first 8 years and 2 months without benefit of the expertise that we've had the last 10 months.)

MrUmpire Sat Aug 01, 2009 02:01pm

Quote:

It was an indie pro league, for whatever that's worth.

BigUmp56 Sat Aug 01, 2009 02:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 618411)

I tell my 9 and 10 year olds ................

Now, this is funny...................

Tim.

SanDiegoSteve Sat Aug 01, 2009 02:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 618429)
I knew I was being too vague. I think MByron got it, though.

(Official Forum is 9 years old this month. My surprise is how we ever made it the first 8 years and 2 months without benefit of the expertise that we've had the last 10 months.)

Oh, I get it now...it was a shot at Kevin Finnerty. You really were being vague.

jwwashburn Sat Aug 01, 2009 02:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56 (Post 618435)
Now, this is funny...................

Tim.

I was referring to the kids on my son's team.

cc6 Sat Aug 01, 2009 06:19pm

Camera angle:
I thought the angle was good. What would be a better angle?

FYC:
If it was, why didn't the umpire not pull the trigger with a bit more aggression on the third pitch?

League:
If it's a professional league, hitters should be able to hit the outside pitch the other way. That being said, the first two were very hittable, and the third could have been fouled off by a good contact hitter.

I think that by working in the slot, we develop a slightly larger outside corner. I think a lot of umpires routinely call the 2nd pitch a strike.