The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Abandonment??? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/54170-abandonment.html)

UmpTTS43 Thu Jul 30, 2009 03:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMan (Post 617985)
YGBSM. :rolleyes:

Better leave that 'tool' in your box...

This is not a call that is voluntarily made by the umpire. The ruling is a result of the defense appealing the infraction. My ruling concerning this infraction will take into count different criteria, including whether or not it is a valid appeal, whether or not the defense is nit picking, whether or not the offense is a PITA, or as in the case of the original OP, the BR is in the process of abandoning his base, etc. If this appeal ever comes up, and it never has in over 1000 games of all levels, I will make an appropriate ruling. Even though I have not had the opportunity to rule on this appeal, I know that there are acceptable and unacceptable ways to handle situations that involve this particular rule. So no, I am sh*tting you and this "tool" will remain in my toolbox.

SanDiegoSteve Thu Jul 30, 2009 05:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 (Post 618130)
My ruling concerning this infraction will take into count different criteria, including whether or not it is a valid appeal, whether or not the defense is nit picking, whether or not the offense is a PITA, or as in the case of the original OP, the BR is in the process of abandoning his base, etc.

So, you plan on just making things up as you go, huh?:rolleyes:

LMan Fri Jul 31, 2009 01:29pm

Quote:

and this "tool" will remain in my toolbox.

ah, good, you are taking my advice, then.

SAump Fri Jul 31, 2009 02:33pm

Take care

Quote:

This is not a call that is voluntarily made by the umpire. The ruling is a result of the defense appealing the infraction. My ruling concerning this infraction will take into count different criteria, including whether or not it is a valid appeal, whether or not the defense is nit picking, whether or not the offense is a PITA, or as in the case of the original OP, the BR is in the process of abandoning his base, etc. If this appeal ever comes up, and it never has in over 1000 games of all levels, I will make an appropriate ruling. Even though I have not had the opportunity to rule on this appeal, I know that there are acceptable and unacceptable ways to handle situations that involve this particular rule. So no, I am sh*tting you and this "tool" will remain in my toolbox.

May be using the wrong word because abandonment is not an appeal option under rule 7.10. BTW, most cases of abandonment take place in the last inning. See recent Ohio ruling in playoff game {link still available?} where B/R took part in celebration before immediately proceeding to 1B. Abandonment call overturned in interesting protest decision.

UmpTTS43 Mon Aug 03, 2009 02:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAump (Post 618278)
May be using the wrong word because abandonment is not an appeal option under rule 7.10. BTW, most cases of abandonment take place in the last inning. See recent Ohio ruling in playoff game {link still available?} where B/R took part in celebration before immediately proceeding to 1B. Abandonment call overturned in interesting protest decision.

FYI, we weren't talking about abandonment.

PeteBooth Mon Aug 03, 2009 03:37pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 (Post 618651)
FYI, we weren't talking about abandonment.

From the OP

Quote:

Game last night I was BU. R2 so I am in C. BR hits grounder to short. Throw from short is low and not dug out by the first baseman. I call the runner safe. The runner apparently thought he was out and was walking back to the dugout where he was tagged (on the dugout side of the 1st base coaching box below the bag). I called him out. I got a mild argument for the O coach but nothing bad.

After the game I looked up abandonment in JR (which I don't have with me now) which says something to the effect that this would be abandonment if the BR has no intent of returning to the base. He had no intent until the first baseman ran over to tag him.
Yes we are talking about abandonment at least that is what the poster wanted to know.

if you want to talk about appeals then begin another thread.

Pete Booth

#888 Mon Aug 03, 2009 03:45pm

Abandonment is correct call as runner left the base / basepath. Totally a judgement call by umpire. It would be considered desertion if batter-runner did same before reaching 1B. NFHS BR would have to reach deadball territory..Pro BR would only have to leave dirt area of plate.

UmpTTS43 Mon Aug 03, 2009 04:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteBooth (Post 618669)
Yes we are talking about abandonment at least that is what the poster wanted to know.

if you want to talk about appeals then begin another thread.

Pete Booth

Maybe if you would read the entire discussion concerning the original OP, you would see that I was discussing that an appeal could have been a reasonable option for the out call, as well as abandonment.

My FYI was directed towards SAump's misunderstanding of what I had posted earlier concerning said appeal in a discussion within this thread with SDS, LMan and mbyron.

SanDiegoSteve Mon Aug 03, 2009 06:36pm

"Can't we all just get along." - Rodney King

UmpTTS43 Mon Aug 03, 2009 07:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 618689)
"Can't we all just get along." - Rodney King

I concur.

:D