The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
I do not recall ever seeing a professional umpire look this bad.

I do not recall the last time I saw a HS umpire look this bad.

Again, it is not just the safe/out/out call but the amateur hammer. Is that his normal hammer? Add that to the ridiculous bracelet and you have one unprofessional umpire.
You are infatuated with that bracelet. Do you want him to get you one or give you his? I'm sure he can get you one. If you ask him nicely, he might get you a matching one to his so the two of you can match on date night.

Have you gotten the one from SDS yet?
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 09:48am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Again, it is not just the safe/out/out call but the amateur hammer. Is that his normal hammer? Add that to the ridiculous bracelet and you have one unprofessional umpire.
I liked you better as a rat, I think.
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 09:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
You are infatuated with that bracelet. Do you want him to get you one or give you his? I'm sure he can get you one. If you ask him nicely, he might get you a matching one to his so the two of you can match on date night.

I've seen umpires with the Phiten necklaces on, too. Any comments there?

Personally, I think the "code" can use some updating. I don't really see anything wrong with the bracelet or the necklaces, etc. I don't wear one, but I'm not a jewelry guy for the most part (I don't even wear my wedding band all the time).
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post

That bracelet is the stupidest thing I have ever seen on a Major League Umpire. Even if you somehow were stupid enough to think it looked cool, couldn't you look around and see that NONE of your co-workers are wearing one? Why not wear a pony tail?

He looks like a used car salesman. He hammers like one, also.
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

He got two more last night

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | ATL@FLA: Cox; McCann are ejected for arguing - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That bracelet is the stupidest thing I have ever seen on a Major League Umpire. Even if you somehow were stupid enough to think it looked cool, couldn't you look around and see that NONE of your co-workers are wearing one? Why not wear a pony tail?

He looks like a used car salesman. He hammers like one, also.
OK. We get it. You don't like the bracelet. At least move on to something else for a little while. Something like you don't like the way he wears his hat.

Despite the bad mechanics, he got this call right. So, doesn't he deserve a little break on this.
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 10:06am

Quote:

Well, he got it wrong at first, but then got it right. And that isn't a hammer, that's a "midget punch" used to sell a call. I didn't think it looked weak, he even did it twice for emphasis. It was a normal punch out. What, did you want him to throw his arm out of the socket or what? It looks like he was sleeping on the play, but then again, so were the runner and the base coach.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Thu Jul 30, 2009 at 08:31pm. Reason: grammar, fool
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I've seen umpires with the Phiten necklaces on, too. Any comments there?

Personally, I think the "code" can use some updating. I don't really see anything wrong with the bracelet or the necklaces, etc. I don't wear one, but I'm not a jewelry guy for the most part (I don't even wear my wedding band all the time).
I could care less about the jewelry issue. As long as the uniform is right and the jewelry isn't over the top like what Deon Sanders wore, accessories really don't matter to me. I may not like it personally but I have no issues with it professionally. It's just too nitpicky for me.
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

That's not a story. Half of the umpires on this forum have probably dumped Bobby Cox.
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 10:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

Looks like Hohn gave Cox tons of rope. Most MLB guys get through about one gesture/sentence and then eject Cox with that bored little "this has happened hundreds of times before" wave.

McCann obviously ran his mouth when he came out again. How stupid can a MLB player be?

To head off what someone will say: If there was barking coming from the dugout by McCann, Hohn had every business going over there.
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

It's sometimes nice to see a MLB umpire struggle with the zone. Makes me feel a little better when I have a tough little league game.
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 10:18am

Quote:
Originally Posted by realistic View Post
That's not what your wife said.
Hahahahahaha!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Looks like Hohn gave Cox tons of rope. Most MLB guys get through about one gesture/sentence and then eject Cox with that bored little "this has happened hundreds of times before" wave.

McCann obviously ran his mouth when he came out again. How stupid can a MLB player be?

To head off what someone will say: If there was barking coming from the dugout by McCann, Hohn had every business going over there.
Not only that, whoever (don't remember who) was complaining about Hohn working the knee is full of it. Hohn works the scissors, and his knee never touches the ground. I don't know what fault can be found in Hohn's stance.

Cox and McCann both deserved to go, and McCann could have stayed in the game, but instead of dropping the subject, kept it up and got ran.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Sure they deserved to go.

Hohn got three Braves in Boston and two in this one.

If he tosses Phil Niekro out of the crowd tonight, I might begin to wonder what his deal-e-o is with Atlanta.
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 10:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Sure they deserved to go.

Hohn got three Braves in Boston and two in this one.

If he tosses Phil Niekro out of the crowd tonight, I might begin to wonder what his deal-e-o is with Atlanta.
Bobby Cox's problem with umpires rubs off on his players. Big shock there.
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

In the Boston game, he got Chipper Jones while he was the PU and Jones was livid. I have never seen Jones go off like that. It is at least barely possible that Hohn is not 100% in the right in all of these ejections.

Last edited by jwwashburn; Thu Jul 30, 2009 at 11:16am.