The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

The Atl-Bos game was a classic rat argument. Hohn balled a potential strike 3 and the next pitch goes off the wall. All of a suddent the double was the ump's fault.

Jones was sticking up for his pitcher but he couldn't tell if the pitch was a strike or a ball either.
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 10:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Be honest, Rich ... Have you ever made two calls on a play that was that quick?
Not since my first or second year as an umpire 20+ years ago. It is surprising coming from a ML umpire, I won't argue that.
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 10:53am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
In the Boston game, he got Chipper Jones while he was the third base umpire and Jones was livid. I have never seen Jones go off like that. It is at least barely possible that Hohn is not 100% in the right in all of these ejections.
You *are* still a rat. So a guy is calm 99% of the time and he goes off and it's the *umpire's* fault? Like an F5 can call balls and strikes. Jeez.
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 10:57am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Not only that, whoever (don't remember who) was complaining about Hohn working the knee is full of it. Hohn works the scissors, and his knee never touches the ground. I don't know what fault can be found in Hohn's stance.
I have to jump in here. I was at the game in Milwaukee where Hohn ran two coaches.

He was unsteady in the scissors all night and it looked like his knee was on the ground about 25% of the time - always with a LH batter. On top of that, Hohn was getting into the stance way late -- he was still moving down after the ball had already left F1's hand.

Like any other experienced umpire, Hohn can get away with that when he's on. When he isn't quite on...

I have this problem from time to time. I have to focus on getting locked in earlier from time to time and it makes the job a whole lot easier.
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

I was at that game as well. IMO he was right on both check swings.

I had told my wife before the game that the Brewer's coaches have loose screws. When he run them, she looked at me and smiled.
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

It's easier to make it to the "show" as a player than it is as an umpire. If a player consistently sucks he's gone". If an umpire is consistently at the bottom of the ratings (as far as I know we have no idea who's at the bottom of the ratings but someone has to be last) he'll probably be back. The only time an opening appears is when a guy retires or is injured. Has anyone been dumped because he was consistently bad over the course of a season or seasons? Not talking about the fill ins.
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
You *are* still a rat. So a guy is calm 99% of the time and he goes off and it's the *umpire's* fault? Like an F5 can call balls and strikes. Jeez.
I figured a response like this. I said "It is at least barely possible that Hohn is not 100% in the right in all of these ejections." When did I blame Hohn? I did not.

I just find it interesting that in all my years of seeing Jones play and all my years of watching Sportscenter, I have NEVER seen him act like this. THAT is why I think that it is barely possible that he may not have been 100% in the wrong and Hohn may not have been 100% in the right.
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Why has he been ejected 5 other times?
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I figured a response like this. I said "It is at least barely possible that Hohn is not 100% in the right in all of these ejections." When did I blame Hohn? I did not.

I just find it interesting that in all my years of seeing Jones play and all my years of watching Sportscenter, I have NEVER seen him act like this. THAT is why I think that it is barely possible that he may not have been 100% in the wrong and Hohn may not have been 100% in the right.
It doesn't make a difference that Hohn was/was not right. If you act like an idiot, you gotta go.
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Of course Jones deserved to be tossed. I am not talking about whether the ball was a strike or not.

I am just wondering if it is possible that Hohn might be in the lest bit responsible for the situations that are causing him to be tossing guys out like he is Dusty Rhodes in a Battle Royale.

Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Nope I don't think he is responsible. If he makes a call and someone goes off, it's not his fault.

The one confrontational thing that BH does is he like to point his finger at the crying rat. This has been seen in several of his ejections.

Go back and review the number of ejections he has over a five year period and that might indicate if he has a case of the redass.
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 11:49am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by realistic View Post
I was at that game as well. IMO he was right on both check swings.

I had told my wife before the game that the Brewer's coaches have loose screws. When he run them, she looked at me and smiled.
The first one was a terrible call -- there's no doubt about it -- I was sitting down the first base line and my season ticket partner (who's also a HS/college umpire) and I looked at each other and wondered if this would lead to fireworks. The bat barely flinched. He called it a swinging strike from the plate.

The second call was right, but only because he went to the line umpire.
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 11:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Of course Jones deserved to be tossed. I am not talking about whether the ball was a strike or not.

I am just wondering if it is possible that Hohn might be in the lest bit responsible for the situations that are causing him to be tossing guys out like he is Dusty Rhodes in a Battle Royale.

Dusty and his bionic manboobs.....errr...bionic elbow.
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
The first one was a terrible call -- there's no doubt about it -- I was sitting down the first base line and my season ticket partner (who's also a HS/college umpire) and I looked at each other and wondered if this would lead to fireworks. The bat barely flinched. He called it a swinging strike from the plate.

The second call was right, but only because he went to the line umpire.
IMO the batter offered at the pitch but was able to keep the bat back. It is not whether the bat flinches, it's if the batter attempts to swing and that is what I feel he did.

The Brewers were pissed because their pitcher couldn't find the zone for the first couple of innings and then they messed up their chance to score with bases loaded and 1 out. The way the Brewer's hitter performed that night was reason enough to eject those two bench coaches.
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

So you see, this is a judgement call. What I interpret as a strike and what you interpret maybe different. That is why baseball is different that other sports. There are rules and then there are interpretations. BBall and football don't have those interpretations.