The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 01, 2009, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

I looked on Evans web site and did not see this manual for sale. Where might it be ordered from? Thanks in advance.
Old Sat Aug 01, 2009, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klokard View Post
I looked on Evans web site and did not see this manual for sale. Where might it be ordered from? Thanks in advance.
On the Evans site:

Jim Evans Academy of Professional Umpiring Jim Evans Training Systems
Old Sun Aug 02, 2009, 08:21pm
Stop staring at me swan.

WOW...I had a chance last night to page through my manual and I have to say...wow...it is so thorough...I can't wait to actually sit down and try to digest some of this stuff.
Old Sun Aug 02, 2009, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I was told by Evans that what is covered in the manual is "basically" what's covered in umpire school. I'm not saying nor did he say it replaces Umpire School by any means but for the guys who will never attend the Academy or any of his 1 week camps...this will be an excellent tool for training and development. The comments seem to support it. I would say that even though you attended the academy...a person may have finished at the bottom of the class and would also benefit from the manual...it's never bad to brush up and relearn/review concepts. It also helps to have an authorative document to support local training as well. That's my .02
it is "basically" what is taught at the school, with some other things thrown in as well. you have to keep in mind that what is taught at the schools can vary a bit each year as they are tailored to what PBUC wants. while jim may not agree with things that PBUC changes and tinkers with, he has to keep up to speed with them because the bottom line is that he is training guys that are trying to get to PBUC's evaluation course.

there is stuff in the book that jim believes in and would teach at school if it didn't differ from what PBUC wanted, and that is the stuff that i was referring to when i said there is "some other stuff thrown in there as well." while the book is fantastic in it's comprehensive coverage of the 2 man system, it could NEVER replace the learning experience that is attending the 5 week school. for those guys that have read the book already, imagine being able to go page by page through that book and have each thing demonstrated to you by the MiLB guys on jim's staff, then drilled on the field (you would likely get 2 or 3 reps, but you would SEE 100+ reps and be able to learn from others as they make mistakes or do things right) with their supervision and instruction, and then applied through game type situations.

that is what the 5 week school is all about. it starts with the very basic stuff and progresses through to the very difficult stuff, but each and every step is broken down, taught, demonstrated, and drilled...and each new step builds on the step before it. if you can afford both the personal and financial sacrifice it takes to attend the 5 week school, you will be an entirely different umpire upon completion. and that goes for all levels and ages. from the mouth (or fingers as the case may be) of a former instructor, i can tell you with absolute conviction that the staff at jimmy's has great respect for older umpires that attend the school with no aspirations of going to PBUC, and are simply there to better themselves as officials. every student gets the same training, same attention, and same level of commitment from the staff...whether they are there looking for a job or not.

that is all.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck View Post
if you can afford both the personal and financial sacrifice it takes to attend the 5 week school, you will be an entirely different umpire upon completion. and that goes for all levels and ages. from the mouth (or fingers as the case may be) of a former instructor, i can tell you with absolute conviction that the staff at jimmy's has great respect for older umpires that attend the school with no aspirations of going to PBUC, and are simply there to better themselves as officials. every student gets the same training, same attention, and same level of commitment from the staff...whether they are there looking for a job or not.
I can attest to that as a student of Jimmy's in '08. I was older, but still had aspirations** of PBUC. (**the English pronunciation of that word, in this context, is "dee-looo-shuns". The "aspirations" is silent.) I'm not really THAT old, but sure felt it as I looked around that room.

Anyway, I got treated the same as anyone else - a 'good job' when warranted, and a "boot up me", as Aussie friends would say, when needed. And was given the attention, commitment and feedback Tom speaks of in his posting.

And if the attaboys were based on pity, that's okay - they came from guys in the pro game, and it still felt good, so I'll take it. Does that make me needy?
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieUmp View Post
I was older, but still had aspirations** of PBUC. (**the English pronunciation of that word, in this context, is "dee-looo-shuns". The "aspirations" is silent.)
That's pretty good.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 08:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
You can also get it at this site for the same price:

Maximizing the Two-Umpire System ABUA Online Store
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 08:36pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I think Jim also owns that site. correct?
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
correct
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

When you order the book, you might want to request that, for $70.00 that they send you a new book, or at least one that isn't already thrashed.

It's a great book. I can't wait to absorb it all. The condition in which it arrived makes it look like someone else already has.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 09:38pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Just call him or email and ask for a new one. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal. I don't know, but he seems like he'd be reasonable. Mine was not shredded by any means...but it was damaged in transit.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

$69.95 for a $25.00 paperback, and they spend 12 cents to pack it.

Good business practices.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Mon Aug 03, 2009 at 09:53pm.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 10:06pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I think at some point, I will get it spiral bound...if/when I can wear it out. That's one thing I like about the J/R.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

I received my $69.95 manual that was worth every penny and more, and of which there are no comparable manuals at any price, in pristine condition.

Price is what you pay. Value is what you get.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Professionalism in business practices is what anyone should expect when purchasing any exorbitantly priced product. It's part of the price you pay. Just not at Jim Evans' online store. The book is still great, irrespective of how unprofessionally handled the product and service was.
Closed Thread