The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 21, 2002, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Hi guys,

I am planning to attend umpire school this winter in F and am not sure of which school to attend. There are two professional umpire schools in FL during that time. Jim Evans and Wendlestedt....anyone have any opinions of which I should attend?

Thanks for any info.
Old Fri Jun 21, 2002, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Umpire_Jeremy
Hi guys,

I am planning to attend umpire school this winter in F and am not sure of which school to attend. There are two professional umpire schools in FL during that time. Jim Evans and Wendlestedt....anyone have any opinions of which I should attend?

Thanks for any info.
Go to http://www.umpire.org click on "forums" and go to the "professional umpires" section (I think). Lots of discussion over the perceived merits of both.
Old Fri Jun 21, 2002, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the response.

After reading a few posts I decided I certainly didn't want to stay there long. Sorting through all the BS and facts take some time.

I appreciate that clean board that you guys have here.
Old Fri Jun 21, 2002, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Both schools are top notch. I attended Wendlestedt school and that is the school with the most years experience. Look at both schools staff and you will see what you are looking for.
Old Mon Jul 01, 2002, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I would recommend Wendlestadt's school. I have not personally attended either one myself. However, when I thought about going to umpire school, I made contact with schools. Harry W not only e-mailed me back, but personally called at home to see if I had any further questions about the school. I have always kept that in the back of my mind if I should decide to go to umpire school. Good Luck!!
Old Mon Jul 01, 2002, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Umpire_Jeremy
Hi guys,

Thanks for any info.
I attended Evans in 1992. Both schools have a many candidates to evaluate but go about it differently. Wendlestedt uses a point system (in 2002), Evans did not.(in 1992) Either school won't admit it but body type, weight, age, personality, moral character and many other factors count, not just your ability to umpire.

Jim said: "We want you to acheive 'your' potential." Considering 30 out of 300 (total enrollment of both schools) will be recommended to PBUC, if it is your goal to
be evaluated by PBUC, your odds are 50/50.

E-mail the instructors on each schools site for further info. I think but am not sure there are a few who attended Harry's school and now teach at Jim's or vice versa.

Good luck.