The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Jim Wolf's Black Shirt (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/54112-jim-wolfs-black-shirt.html)

UMP25 Mon Jul 27, 2009 01:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 617118)
Poll: Long sleeve shirt only behind the plate or can be worn also on the bases?

Plate only!

UMP25 Mon Jul 27, 2009 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 617141)
Neither. Wear a plate coat!

Provided you can afford one, as many cannot.

I do like its look better, but as I said, many can't afford it.

SanDiegoSteve Mon Jul 27, 2009 01:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP25 (Post 617147)
Provided you can afford one, as many cannot.

I do like its look better, but as I said, many can't afford it.

I can't afford one either, but that's my answer anyway, because I don't like the look of long sleeve shirts. But then again, I live in San Diego. If it's chilly or rainy, we use regular umpire jackets or windshirts.

Rich Mon Jul 27, 2009 01:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 617151)
I can't afford one either, but that's my answer anyway, because I don't like the look of long sleeve shirts. But then again, I live in San Diego. If it's chilly or rainy, we use regular umpire jackets or windshirts.

I have stopped wearing a jacket on the plate. I wear long sleeve shirts only (when it's cold). Cream is not a cold-weather color, so the long sleeved cream looks, well, dumb.

I'd wear a plate coat, but unfortunately neither of mine fit (they are too big). I've ALWAYS hated windbreakers on the plate and I love the long sleeves. On the bases, no. Then I wear a jacket.

That said, I'm willing to sell them to a good home. Navy size 48 Fechheimer -- bought 1997, in outstanding shape. Black size 50 Honig's - bought 2005, good shape.

If anyone has a 42/44 short.... :D

kylejt Mon Jul 27, 2009 03:43pm

Quote:

But then again, I live in San Diego. If it's chilly or rainy, we use regular umpire jackets or windshirts.

Speak for yourself! I roll with the plate coat at least three times a year up here in Vista. Sure it's overkill, but the kids dig it.

UMP 64 Mon Jul 27, 2009 03:50pm

You tube umpire from ee6

:eek:This guy is great. I would like for him to do our clinic

DonInKansas Mon Jul 27, 2009 03:52pm

Quote:

75 degrees doesn't count as chilly, Steve. ;)

etn_ump Mon Jul 27, 2009 08:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 617154)
I have stopped wearing a jacket on the plate. I wear long sleeve shirts only (when it's cold). Cream is not a cold-weather color, so the long sleeved cream looks, well, dumb.

I'd wear a plate coat, but unfortunately neither of mine fit (they are too big). I've ALWAYS hated windbreakers on the plate and I love the long sleeves. On the bases, no. Then I wear a jacket.

That said, I'm willing to sell them to a good home. Navy size 48 Fechheimer -- bought 1997, in outstanding shape. Black size 50 Honig's - bought 2005, good shape.

If anyone has a 42/44 short.... :D

Prices?

DG Mon Jul 27, 2009 08:31pm

I can't recall wearing long sleeves on bases. Jacket or short sleeves is norm.

Long sleeves is standard for me when cool behind the plate, <60, add another layer when it gets colder. Jacket behind plate would go with another layer and would have to be 45 or less.

If I had a plate coat I would wear it, but alas...

zm1283 Mon Jul 27, 2009 08:59pm

If it's cool, long sleeve shirt is my first choice. If not, then a jacket, although I don't care for it as much. Never a long sleeve on the bases....always the jacket.

Tom H. Mon Jul 27, 2009 09:08pm

Umpire? Is he really ????

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc6 (Post 617005)
The only person I have seen wear a zip up shirt is this umpire:

YouTube - How to Be a Baseball Umpire : Going Over Ground Rules as a Baseball Umpire

Have watched parts of this guys vids.....but had to turn them off. Did you notice the hat turned round backwards? that is what he does before he puts on his mask.
Guess he is a "Big Dog" where he comes from.......????

Tom H. Mon Jul 27, 2009 09:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP25 (Post 617034)
Count me as one of the few, if only, umpires who thinks those half-mock-convertible-zip up-removable-sleeve-thingies are just hideous period. The short-sleeve black shirt, long-sleeve black shirt, and jackets with the stripes on the shoulder were just fine.

I wouldn't doubt it if Dick Honig convinced MLB to use these so Dick could dream up and manufacture yet another article of uniform attire that everyone will then consider a "must buy."

:D

By Crackie! I think you have hit on it!!!!

:D :( :mad:!!!

kylejt Mon Jul 27, 2009 09:19pm

Why wouldn't you wear a long sleeved shirt on the bases? I do it, when sometimes a jacket is too much.

(and don't give that @#$% about MLB guys don't do it. Think for yourself.)

mrm21711 Mon Jul 27, 2009 09:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP25 (Post 617034)
I wouldn't doubt it if Dick Honig convinced MLB to use these so Dick could dream up and manufacture yet another article of uniform attire that everyone will then consider a "must buy."

Maybe - but Majestic makes the MLB shirts & jackets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty
Poll: Long sleeve shirt only behind the plate or can be worn also on the bases?

Plate - Plate Coat or Long Sleeve Shirt - No Pullover. I hate a jacket behind the plate.

Bases - Jacket or Short Sleeve Shirt - no long sleeve. No "smock" or half-zip/convertible jacket either. Ugly!

briancurtin Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm21711 (Post 617285)
Maybe - but Majestic makes the MLB shirts & jackets.

At some point there was (maybe still is) some type of partnership between Honig's and MLB. There are two umpires I've worked with this summer who have Honig's shirts which are labeled as Honig's with the <a href="http://2008.sxsw.com/img/mktg/MLB_Authentic_240w.jpg">MLB Authentic tag</a>.

Honig's Canada was the last I saw MLB logo shirts for sale to the public.