The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
BUT my bigger concern is didn't the rest of the umpires in this tournament have the intestinal fortitude to tell the TD that either you umpire or every umpire in the tournament walks immediately.]

If I was one of your partner in the rotation, I would have walked with you.

MTD, Sr.
There should be tons of replies to this response? Where are they?
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tballump View Post
There should be tons of replies to this response? Where are they?
Like what? "That's not really your opinion." ?
Old Fri Jul 24, 2009, 05:07am
Official Forum Member

another case of not having umpire advocate assignors. I was working an tourney and there was someone ejected. The Host brang that person back from the parking lot and let them sit there and watch the game with all the fans. as I walked off many threats to kick my a$$ were issued. I kindly reminded the team from NY that they were in backwoods virginia.

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Fri Jul 24, 2009, 05:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I don't know what type of tournament in which you were umpiring, but if you were scheduled to umpire, I would be telling the TD that if he doesn't want me to umpire then pay me. BUT my bigger concern is didn't the rest of the umpires in this tournament have the intestinal fortitude to tell the TD that either you umpire or every umpire in the tournament walks immediately.]

If I was one of your partner in the rotation, I would have walked with you.

MTD, Sr.
If it was clear that he was removed from an already-made assignment for this, I wouldn't have worked either. We'd find a bar. Let them umpire their own game.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Thank You All!

I'm glad my feelings were true and I wasn't over-reacting. I went to the game, it was a Sr. Legion Championship game, which I found out during the game that the coach I tossed called the commish and requested I not be on the game. He told the plate ump this at the plate meeting, unbelievable right? Anyway, I have since told the commish I wouldn't be back next year.

Anyone looking for an experienced baseball official? lol
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 12:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpferee View Post
Thank You All!

I'm glad my feelings were true and I wasn't over-reacting. I went to the game, it was a Sr. Legion Championship game, which I found out during the game that the coach I tossed called the commish and requested I not be on the game. He told the plate ump this at the plate meeting, unbelievable right? Anyway, I have since told the commish I wouldn't be back next year.

the PU should have dumped him immediately for saying such a thing. Congratulations on telling the commish where he can stick his league.

Always need good officials here in S.D. Also, our assigner backs up his umpires. He doesn't like rats much to begin with. If a coach says he doesn't want you on his games, Bob will send you back there for the next three! He doesn't intimidate easily. Here, an American Legion commissioner would not have any say-so in who worked the Championship game, the assignment secretary is the one who decides who works what.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Always need good officials here in S.D. Also, our assigner backs up his umpires. He doesn't like rats much to begin with. If a coach says he doesn't want you on his games, Bob will send you back there for the next three!
Isn't this what a smart (are there any) coach would do if he really liked an official. Just call up and complain about the official and you get him for the next 3.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank You All!

I am speculating, but I expect if my assignor was told to scratch you because of a legitimate toss you would be on the plate for his next game with instructions to toss the sorry rat at will, preferably early.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 09:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tballump View Post
Isn't this what a smart (are there any) coach would do if he really liked an official. Just call up and complain about the official and you get him for the next 3.
So that's how I got Monte Vista HS twice a week, huh?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 10:03pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
I am speculating, but I expect if my assignor was told to scratch you because of a legitimate toss you would be on the plate for his next game with instructions to toss the sorry rat at will, preferably early.

Years and years and year ago, I was on the women's basketball officiating staff of a jr. college conference. One year I officiated a game in the NJCAA regionals in which the losing team (and I mean they got smoked) was from this conference. As my partner (who did not officiate in this conference) and I were leaving the court the losing coach ran toward us and yelled at me that I would never officiate in her league again.

When I got home that night I let my assigner know what she said. I had her four times the next season including three games at home, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I think there was a news story somewhere on the shortage of umpires in Western Kansas. I'll take the field with ya, amigo.
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 10:02am
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
As my partner (who did not officiate in this conference) and I were leaving the court the losing coach ran toward us and yelled at me that I would never officiate in her league again.

MTD, Sr.
Reminds me of the GREAT umpire line (as a response to that coach), "Good, then I won't lose any playoff games."

JJ
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 11:06am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Reminds me of the GREAT umpire line (as a response to that coach), "Good, then I won't lose any playoff games."

JJ
That's a good one! I've never heard that one before.
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post

JJ
But, the coach may not get it since it does require a little bit of thought process.
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 11:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
But, the coach may not get it since it does require a little bit of thought process.
Just like:

Coach: That's two you blew!

Umpire: Knock it off. You're not going to be around to count to four.