The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

How would you feel?

If you were in the rotation for the playoffs, having the losers bracket game and the IF game, but were taken off the final because you ejected a HC in the losers bracket game, how would you react?

The ejection was warranted. It's a long story but the words "f@ck" and "you" were used in the same sentence. And the coach gets to coach the next game and the final,while I get the boot.

I'm thinking I just called my last game with this organization!
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpferee View Post
If you were in the rotation for the playoffs, having the losers bracket game and the IF game, but were taken off the final because you ejected a HC in the losers bracket game, how would you react?

The ejection was warranted. It's a long story but the words "f@ck" and "you" were used in the same sentence. And the coach gets to coach the next game and the final,while I get the boot.

I think you have a right to feel badly...However, unless the tourney has a game-suspension clause (and most don't), I see why the ADs would want to avoid using you when they have options to use other umps....not a reflection on you or your abilities, or your call....Just situation awareness, and problem avoidance....He HAS to be there, and you don't. Also, the ADs probably feel that the Coach is immature enough to continue to be a problem, which would probably be more true with your presence....Hence, while not fair, I feel it is at least understandable....IMO...
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

I would have. Time to go elsewhere. And, if there is no where else to go, then time to go fishing.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishopcolle View Post
I think you have a right to feel badly...However, unless the tourney has a game-suspension clause (and most don't), I see why the ADs would want to avoid using you when they have options to use other umps....not a reflection on you or your abilities, or your call....Just situation awareness, and problem avoidance....He HAS to be there, and you don't. Also, the ADs probably feel that the Coach is immature enough to continue to be a problem, which would probably be more true with your presence....Hence, while not fair, I feel it is at least understandable....IMO...
If I get pulled, then I better get put on another game with better or equal perks immediately or I am done with them.

Lose money, lose the chance to call a game, and the coach gets to come back with no recourse = Me done completely

If anyone should be done, it is him. And, if he does anything in the next game, then he just gets EJ again. No big deal.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

If I am the umpire taking your place, I'm running the guy the first time he says either of the words "what" or "where."
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
If I am the umpire taking your place, I'm running the guy the first time he says either of the words "what" or "where."
I would do the same! As a matter of fact, knowing my attitude, I would probably find a way to eject him at the plate meeting!
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

I can relate to your feelings. In 2008 my HS assoc. assigned me to a 2nd round game in the play offs -- after 3 years of only getting 1st rounds this year (4th year in a row that I was in some sort of playoff game). Well, I too had a EJ in this game.
Move to 2009 playoffs and I am not even on the list of umpires elegible for a game (list does not ensure a game assignment). Of course I had lots of questions on this and feel that I got a run around and lots of political answers (the worst was that it was MY fault - no board members 'knew' me!). Yet I was able to decern that it was the EJ that worked against me.
Looking into a unit near by to join.
Tom
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You are to be commended on the evolution of your attitude towards ejections over the past six months. Good job.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Wow, you made a post with some sarcasm, but no cheap, profane name-calling. You too are to be commended.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wow, you made a post with some sarcasm, but no cheap, profane name-calling. You too are to be commended.
Absolutely no sarcasm. I respond as treated and do not call people profane names.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
I can relate to your feelings. In 2008 my HS assoc. assigned me to a 2nd round game in the play offs -- after 3 years of only getting 1st rounds this year (4th year in a row that I was in some sort of playoff game). Well, I too had a EJ in this game.
Move to 2009 playoffs and I am not even on the list of umpires elegible for a game (list does not ensure a game assignment). Of course I had lots of questions on this and feel that I got a run around and lots of political answers (the worst was that it was MY fault - no board members 'knew' me!). Yet I was able to decern that it was the EJ that worked against me.
Looking into a unit near by to join.
Tom
Goodbye Long Beach-Hello OCBOA
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 04:05pm
Administrator

Quote:

I don't know what type of tournament in which you were umpiring, but if you were scheduled to umpire, I would be telling the TD that if he doesn't want me to umpire then pay me. BUT my bigger concern is didn't the rest of the umpires in this tournament have the intestinal fortitude to tell the TD that either you umpire or every umpire in the tournament walks immediately.]

If I was one of your partner in the rotation, I would have walked with you.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You got thrown under the bus...plain and simple. If I'm you...I'm off to greener and hopefully more supportive pastures.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 07:50pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I should've simply added to your thread.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 08:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I should've simply added to your thread.
It's not too late. Copy and paste your post and quote the one after you in a paste, then delete the other thread. Go ahead, you can do it! You can do it all night long!!!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25