The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

left foot

Can a right handed pitcher put his left foot in rubber as to get an advantage to a pickoff at second base?
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 02:43pm

More info please. Put his foot in rubber? I can't see how that would help.

Provide a little more background detail.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure I follow.

Are you asking if F1 can come set with his free foot on top of the rubber?
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Yes
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaron View Post
Yes
This position would be considered a windup. Are you playing by FED or OBR?

-Josh
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Can a right handed pitcher put his left foot in rubber as to get an advantage to a pickoff at second base?
A RH pitcher taking the mound with his feet in the position of a LH pitcher (left foot on rubber, right foot in front of the rubber toward home) is illegal and a balk specifically in FED.

I'd rule the same way in OBR.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(b) The Set Position. Set Position shall be indicated by the pitcher when he stands facing the batter with his pivot foot in contact with, and his other foot in front of, the pitcher’s plate, holding the ball in both hands in front of his body and coming to a complete stop.
It has to be in front of the plate. Not on top. However, this is a "Don't do that" issue from what I can tell.

Why would a pitcher want to do this any way?
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

left foot

One3 of my umpire feiends had a game and for some reason this is the position the pitcher took when there was a runner on second base. Right hand pitcher, mounted the rubber with his left foot int the hole in front of the rubber,his right foot about 15 inches towards second and attempted a pick off at second. he called a balk. was he right??
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
A RH pitcher taking the mound with his feet in the position of a LH pitcher (left foot on rubber, right foot in front of the rubber toward home) is illegal and a balk specifically in FED.

I'd rule the same way in OBR.
If this is what you are doing, trying to deceive the runner into thinking the pitcher is LH, then that is a balk. Cannot do anything naturally associated with the pitch while on the mound and not in contact with the rubber. That is what I would rule as well. Balk.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think so. It sounds to me like the pitcher is just beginning to address the rubber when he decided to pickoff the runner.

HTBT but I don't think it should have been a balk. Maybe the pitcher just accidentally put his foot too close.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One3 of my umpire feiends had a game and for some reason this is the position the pitcher took when there was a runner on second base. Right hand pitcher, mounted the rubber with his left foot int the hole in front of the rubber,his right foot about 15 inches towards second and attempted a pick off at second. he called a balk. was he right??
I am not sure the I am envisioning this correctly, so let me explain what I see (in my mind). On the line down the center of the field I see:

PU
F2
HP
Edge of mound
F1's left foot "in" the rubber (hole in-front of)
Rubber
F1's right foot
2B

(Edit: F1 is still facing 3B as a righty)
If this is right, then I would say on 1st glance, that he is merely straddling the rubber, and is subject to those restrictions, but with the foot in the rubber, I see attempted deception and cause for a balk. I will have to go for further review before giving a complete answer.
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.

Last edited by Ump Rube; Fri Jul 17, 2009 at 03:06pm. Reason: clarification
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is too obvious to be construed as deceiving the runner. If after engaging the rubber and he spins toward 2B on his free foot, I can see a balk called. If his pivot foot was much closer such as 1 or 2 inches, then he spins on his free foot. I can see a balk then.

But, to call one before he even "toes" the rubber and it is obvious to all that he is not on the rubber. I just don't see this as being a balk.

Bad mechanics maybe, but not a balk. If even going by the idea of deception, who is he deceiving? I have no balk and an out if the runner gets caught by such a bad move.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down earlier thread

This was discussed in an earlier thread on here.

With the runner at 2B, the right handed pitcher set up as a left-hander, with his left foot on the rubber. In the stretch position, he was facing 1st base, with his left foot on the rubber. No way he could pitch this way.

He then came set and picked to 2nd base.
Balk.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 04:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex7 View Post
This was discussed in an earlier thread on here.

With the runner at 2B, the right handed pitcher set up as a left-hander, with his left foot on the rubber. In the stretch position, he was facing 1st base, with his left foot on the rubber. No way he could pitch this way.

He then came set and picked to 2nd base.
Balk.
Alex, he is describing the pitcher facing third base, with his left foot in the groove in front of the rubber, and his pivot foot 15 inches behind the rubber towards 2nd base. I am envisioning the pitcher just snapping a throw without any step at all, while engaged with the rubber with the wrong foot. I also think it is an illegal attempt to deceive the runner by intentionally contacting the pitcher's plate and simulating a pitching position.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump Rube View Post
I am not sure the I am envisioning this correctly, so let me explain what I see (in my mind). On the line down the center of the field I see:

PU
F2
HP
Edge of mound
F1's left foot "in" the rubber (hole in-front of)
Rubber
F1's right foot
2B

(Edit: F1 is still facing 3B as a righty)
If this is right, then I would say on 1st glance, that he is merely straddling the rubber, and is subject to those restrictions, but with the foot in the rubber, I see attempted deception and cause for a balk. I will have to go for further review before giving a complete answer.
"Attempted deception" is NEVER "cause for a balk"!!! LOSE that idea forever.

What you have described [and i THINK what the OP describes] is F1 straddling the rubber [assuming, as you and I do, that he is facing 3d base]. Nothing sinister about that; and yes, he can attempt a pick toward 2d, without any further step or other ado, 'cause he's still an infielder and hasn't assumed a position on the rubber yet. Don't care if his free foot is "in the divot" or 12 inches in front of the rubber - no difference Rules-wise.

About that "deception": it's a balk if it violates a Rule and is deceptive: if it's deceptive and violates none of the pitching Rules, IT"S GOOD PITCHING.