Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjong View Post
Smartest man there was probably the Princeton coach. Saw the danger and removed his team. He probably had no beef with the umpires, but realized the ignorance of the other teams coaching staff and probable danger they posed to his team.
Unfortunate situation...... Some just dont get it......... Tournament management should have given the team an early exit. They even admitted that they had heard of their reputation!!!!! I guess their entry fee was most important.
Bingo... I stopped working weekend tourneys when I realized TDs are only concerned with stroking coaches egos to get into their checkbook. As a result, coaches get away with worse and worse behavior until there is a real blow up like this one.

Only league games for me (or the playoffs associated with them).
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Well....

It just so happens I had the pleasure of working a game in which the Wichita Hustlers were playing last year at the 15U USSSA International World Series. It was in "bracket play" following pool play. I was U1 on a 3-man crew.

I don't know if this was the same team or not, but it sounds like it. In our game, the aassistant was a big guy, very loud, kind of a jerky personality. Was BRUTAL with his players, berating them loudly and longly for any aspect of their play that was not up to MLB standards. The HC was a scrawny, older guy with kind of a weasely personality. Quite a pair.

The players were certainly "above average" for that age. They also certainly had an abundance of "attitude" for kids that age. The only "problem child" I remember was one pitcher who liked to "act out" on the mound when he didn't get a pitch he wanted. My PU partner shut that down in a hurry.

The assistant got dumped in the 6th inning (PU) for arguing balls and strikes after being warned. After the game (which the dickheads won, btw) the asst. who got dumped AND a fan tried to accost my PU partner as we left the field. Started to get ugly. My partner was ready to deck the idiot fan. My other partner and I made the PU walk away while we "rodeo clowned" the dickheads away.

A memorable experience.

JM
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Wichita is not known for being a bastion of intelligent life.