The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 12:16am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
How does the PU own the pitcher catcher and batter? They decide what they do. I just don't see how a PU can own them.
You really can't be that...well I can't say it because it will get deleted. Are you really unfamiliar with the phrase, or the meaning in this case? He means that he is the one in charge of keeping track of these people's actions during the game. Hey, we outlawed slavery in the 1860s in this country, so I don't understand your silliness at all.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
You really can't be that...well I can't say it because it will get deleted. Are you really unfamiliar with the phrase, or the meaning in this case? He means that he is the one in charge of keeping track of these people's actions during the game. Hey, we outlawed slavery in the 1860s in this country, so I don't understand your silliness at all.
Ah, but I know from Mr. Tim_C that when he says something, it is normally more than just what the rest of us would have assumed. The plate ump keeps track of everybody's actions during the game, but clearly something must be unique about the catcher, batter and pitcher.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
California is not courteous in this respect either. We never adapted any of the "speed up (yeah, right)" rules that NFHS suggests, except we do have the 10 run rule back, I think. Anyone know for sure?
Up here in Northern California, about 550 miles from you, we don't use the CR rule and unfortunately the 10 run rule either. I know that doesn't answer your question because we have, I think, three HS sections in this state.

Last edited by Forest Ump; Thu Jul 16, 2009 at 09:51am.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
It NEVER speeds up the game. It ALWAYS allows participation from a non-starter. Participation must be the goal.
So when the catcher is on base when the third out is made he ALWAYS is able to run into the dugout, put his gear on, and get back on the field and take the remainder of the warmup pitches within 1 minute timed from the third out?
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 11:37am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ump View Post
Up here in Northern California, about 550 miles from you, we don't use the CR rule and unfortunately the 10 run rule either. I know that doesn't answer your question because we have, I think, three HS sections in this state.
We have 10 sections here in CA.

http://www.cifcs.org/CIFSectionsMap/SECTIO~1.HTM
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

10, wow!! It is a big state for sure. Thanks for that info.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
So when the catcher is on base when the third out is made he ALWAYS is able to run into the dugout, put his gear on, and get back on the field and take the remainder of the warmup pitches within 1 minute timed from the third out?
Probably not. That's why you have a guy on the bench grab a helmet and glove unless you only have 9 players that day.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
We have 10 sections here in CA.

Map of CIF Sections
So do the section champions ever play each other? Or are there just multiple "state" champions in CA?
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
Probably not. That's why you have a guy on the bench grab a helmet and glove unless you only have 9 players that day.
You are correct. The catcher probably will not be able to make it from the bases, to the dugout, and back on the field in under a minute...therefore the game will be delayed as normally the warmup pitches take no longer than 1 minute timed from the third out. If the catcher was ready to go when the third out was made then the warmup pitches would not take longer than a minute.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 02:02am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
So do the section champions ever play each other? Or are there just multiple "state" champions in CA?
Not that I'm aware of. There are only sectional champions in baseball. Football used to have only sectional champions until a few years ago where they went to a bowl system where a team from Northern California plays a team from Southern California in each division. From what I understand, basketball has a tradtional state tournament.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 View Post
At the bottom of the sheet I record visits and work up. Inning, outs and batter up during visit. If it is not a charged visit, I put an "X" before the info.

X B4 0 out #12
I have always noted the inning and out for a visit...Is there any benefit to noting the batter? Just rereading the post and come to a conclusion on how I want to keep my card in the future...Thanks!

-Josh
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The LA City section winner doesn't even play the Southern Section winner, even though the City Section is right in the middle of the Southern Section and many of the schools play each other in the spring season.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 03:48pm

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
The LA City section winner doesn't even play the Southern Section winner, even though the City Section is right in the middle of the Southern Section and many of the schools play each other in the spring season.
Los Angeles is huge, and San Diego isn't tiny either.

In San Diego County, there are 74 high schools that have baseball programs. They are divided into leagues and conferences, with usually 10 to 12 teams each, by area. There are four division classes, based on enrollement size; 4A, 3A, 2A, and 1A. Each division has first round, second round, quarter finals, and semi-finals. There are then four Section CIF Finals, one for each division, which are now held at Tony Gwynn Field at S.D.S.U. At one time, they held the finals at Qualcomm Stadium. This year, 10 teams got to play in 5 games at Petco Park during the regular season.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
It would save time if the catcher would put the gear on when he reaches the dugout, but that don't happen very often. And pitcher waits to come out until catcher is ready. What saves time is a backup catcher coming out to warmup the pitcher, and one of the other players bringing the pitcher his cap and glove when he is on the bases. That don't happen much either.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
And pitcher waits to come out until catcher is ready. What saves time is a backup catcher coming out to warmup the pitcher, and one of the other players bringing the pitcher his cap and glove when he is on the bases. That don't happen much either.
With third grade on down the manager stands in front of the dugout and announces where each player is going to be playing on defense that half inning...once you get past that the catcher wears his gear if he is in the dugout.

Pitcher waits for the catcher? I can't believe you allow that or any of the other crap you say happens...there is a one minute limit timed from the third out. No wonder pace of play is always a POE when guys like you let 4 minutes go between every inning.