The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Little league..special pinch runner question

Could you please help clear something up for us. In our game last night we had a situation come up for our team and we couldn't agree on the correct course of action. Here is the scenario on what happened...I will use the names Mike and James for the 2 players...Mike started the game and James was the substitute that was "married" to him in the game...Both Mike and James had already met the required playing time in the game. At the time of the game when the question arose, Mike, the starter, was on the field playing defense. The inning ended and Mike came in to bat. He was not due up until 5th that inning. Another player reached base and we wanted Mike, who had just been in the line up on defense to be a special pinch runner for that player. Could we have put Mike in to run, or do we have to wait for his time at bat to swap him and his sub James out of the line up. Like I stated, all mandatory play time had already been met..It was my understanding that you could freely sub these players back and forth?
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 02:45pm
Stop staring at me swan.

No idea...but there might be an issue around manipulating the batting order. Only a guess.
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

When on offense, cannot sub until position in order is up. "Mike" is still in lineup (can't be swapped until his spot is up) and is not eligible to serve as a SPR.
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

LL Substitutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4tx View Post
Could you please help clear something up for us. In our game last night we had a situation come up for our team and we couldn't agree on the correct course of action. Here is the scenario on what happened...I will use the names Mike and James for the 2 players...Mike started the game and James was the substitute that was "married" to him in the game...Both Mike and James had already met the required playing time in the game. At the time of the game when the question arose, Mike, the starter, was on the field playing defense. The inning ended and Mike came in to bat. He was not due up until 5th that inning. Another player reached base and we wanted Mike, who had just been in the line up on defense to be a special pinch runner for that player. Could we have put Mike in to run, or do we have to wait for his time at bat to swap him and his sub James out of the line up. Like I stated, all mandatory play time had already been met..It was my understanding that you could freely sub these players back and forth?
Tournament Rule 10-D, Page T-17:
Offensive substitutions must be made at the time the offensive player has his/her turn at bat or is on base.

A substitute once removed can't re-enter the lineup unless injury or illness prevents the team from fielding 9 players and there are not any eligible substitures available. The opposing manager choses the ineligible player to re-enter the game.
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 03:05pm

I don't approve of "same-sex" marriages.

Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Quote:
I am taking it that neither Mike nor James is pitching.

First off, you must reinsert James into the batting order if you want Mike to be a SPR. You could do this before the inning starts. As long as Mike is NOT in the batting order at the time, he can run for the third player, whom I'll call Harry.

The exception here is if Harry has already been removed for a SPR during that game. If so, only a legit pinch runner may replace him.

NOW, let's say Harry gets on base, and Mike is sent in as SPR. This is legal because Mike is not in the current batting order. We then have different possible scenarios.

a) When the fifth slot comes up, if Mike is still on base, James, or another eligible sub to go into that slot, must bat.

b) If Mike is put out, and the fifth slot still comes up, you can have James bat OR reinsert Mike into the lineup.

In general, once non-pitchers have met MPR, you can swap them in and out at will. But only a player not in the current batting order can be a SPR.

Hope this helps.

Ace
D2 CT
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
I take it back

The other guys are right. You can't pull James out until his spot comes up.

You would have had to insert Mike during the previous defensive inning, even if for one pitch/play.

This why I am an umpire and not a scorekeeper.

My bad,

ace
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. Makes sense.

Were told we could freely sub in and out after min play time was made unannounced..so to me we could be silent, but mike in to SPR and just have James hit when that spot came up. But this is cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran View Post
I am taking it that neither Mike nor James is pitching.

First off, you must reinsert James into the batting order if you want Mike to be a SPR. You could do this before the inning starts. As long as Mike is NOT in the batting order at the time, he can run for the third player, whom I'll call Harry.

The exception here is if Harry has already been removed for a SPR during that game. If so, only a legit pinch runner may replace him.

NOW, let's say Harry gets on base, and Mike is sent in as SPR. This is legal because Mike is not in the current batting order. We then have different possible scenarios.

a) When the fifth slot comes up, if Mike is still on base, James, or another eligible sub to go into that slot, must bat.

b) If Mike is put out, and the fifth slot still comes up, you can have James bat OR reinsert Mike into the lineup.

In general, once non-pitchers have met MPR, you can swap them in and out at will. But only a player not in the current batting order can be a SPR.

Hope this helps.

Ace
D2 CT
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

doh ace...i thought i was good....haha
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
You might try posting this question on the below site.

Baseball Tips & Drills, Coaching, Rules | Team Websites | eteamz

eteamz is mostly a LL umpire Forum and your question will be answered

Pete Booth
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Heh, heh! You can tell that this is not a LL board!
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Yeah, we are really a T-ball board at heart.
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 05:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Just waiting for the usual gratuitous slams on Little League....
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Ok Lets get down to bottom line facts.

Who had the better looking mom.

He bats, runs or plays the most.

See how simple that was.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Just waiting for the usual gratuitous slams on Little League....
Now who on this board would slam LL?