The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

During a doubleheader last week, the opposing team would put in a pinch runner every time their 1st baseman would get on base. She happened to be one of their best hitters but also was a very slow runner. This happened 3 times in the first game and twice in the second game of the doubleheader. The first baseman stayed in the game while the pinch runners left the game after each appearance. Is there any limit as to the number of times a pinch runner can substitute for a player during one game? Obviously, the other team had a very deep bench.
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mg43
During a doubleheader last week, the opposing team would put in a pinch runner every time their 1st baseman would get on base. She happened to be one of their best hitters but also was a very slow runner. This happened 3 times in the first game and twice in the second game of the doubleheader. The first baseman stayed in the game while the pinch runners left the game after each appearance. Is there any limit as to the number of times a pinch runner can substitute for a player during one game? Obviously, the other team had a very deep bench.
ASA.

No, but there is a limit on how many times that batter may be re-entered (that limit is once).

A pinch runner is a legal substitute. The player who is brought in to pinch run is now tied to that position in the batting order, should she stay in the game or be re-entered later. The batter who is being run for has left the game.

The batter who left the game can reenter later in the game, but if she is sub'ed for again (including pinch run for), then she may NOT reenter for the remainder of that game - she is done.

One other note, since this team apparently used several different runners for this batter. Those runners were all now tied to the same position in the batting order, and could not, therefore, substitute for anyone else later in the game.
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Thank you for the quick response. I am a little slow on the uptake. Just to clarify the situation, the batter(number 3 in the order) reached 1st base in the bottom of the first inning. A pinch runner replaced her immediately. At the top of following inning, the batter was back on the field and the pinch runner was out of the game. In the bottom of the second innning, she batted again, reached 1st base and another pinch runner replaced her immediately. At the top of the second inning, she was back on the field again and the second pinch runner was out of the game. At what point should the batter have been out of the game under NFHS rules?
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Since you said she played 1st base she would be out of the game for good after the 2nd Pinch runner replaced her. Now in the case of Pitchers and Catchers they have courtesy runners which can run for them everytime they get on base.
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank you for the quick response. I am a little slow on the uptake. Just to clarify the situation, the batter(number 3 in the order) reached 1st base in the bottom of the first inning. A pinch runner replaced her immediately. At the top of following inning, the batter was back on the field and the pinch runner was out of the game. In the bottom of the second innning, she batted again, reached 1st base and another pinch runner replaced her immediately. At the top of the second inning, she was back on the field again and the second pinch runner was out of the game. At what point should the batter have been out of the game under NFHS rules?
Now. That's it. The second time a player leaves the line-up is the last time they are allowed to be in the game.

Old Thu May 06, 2004, 10:04am
In Memoriam

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Now. That's it. The second time a player leaves the line-up is the last time they are allowed to be in the game.

mick
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...At the top of the second {I assume you mean third} inning, she was back on the field again and the second pinch runner was out of the game. At what point should the batter have been out of the game under NFHS rules?
NFHS is the same as ASA here. She should not have been allowed back on the field after the second pinch runner - she was done.
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Dukat
Since you said she played 1st base she would be out of the game for good after the 2nd Pinch runner replaced her. Now in the case of Pitchers and Catchers they have courtesy runners which can run for them everytime they get on base.
Can you tell me the thought behind exempting the Pitcher for the re-entry limitation? I would think the catcher is exempt due to the equipment issue and getting ready for the next defensive turn, but the pitcher?
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
Quote:
Can you tell me the thought behind exempting the Pitcher for the re-entry limitation? I would think the catcher is exempt due to the equipment issue and getting ready for the next defensive turn, but the pitcher?
Where the did you get that?

A CR for pitcher and catcher is NOT a substitution, the players for which the CR is used do NOT leave the game, therefore, when they return, it in not a reentry.
Old Fri May 07, 2004, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

I think what he meant was why is the pitcher allowed a CR but just worded his question poorly. He sees the reason the catcher is allowed one but not the pitcher. The only answer I have to that is "because it is in the rulebook" as I am not one of the ones that come up with rules just one of the many that try their best to enforce them.
Old Fri May 07, 2004, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think what he meant was why is the pitcher allowed a CR but just worded his question poorly. He sees the reason the catcher is allowed one but not the pitcher. The only answer I have to that is "because it is in the rulebook" as I am not one of the ones that come up with rules just one of the many that try their best to enforce them.
Because if you are going to use it as a speed-up rule, and the pitcher only has one minute from the final out of the previous half inning to complete warm-ups, she better be ready to go, not be standing on 2B.