The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
I think the rule allows a continuation in the other city but it is not required. It makes sense in this instance as the Colt 45's will not visit the Senators again this year.
The original Senators are actually in Minnesota so that is a true statement...
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

The Browns became the Orioles.
The first Senators became the Twins.
The second Senators became the Rangers.
The Expos became the Nationals.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Fri Jul 10, 2009 at 04:42pm. Reason: let's not go off on that political tangent again
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 07:50pm

Guess that kind of put the kibosh on this discussion, because that was all there was worth mentioning in the whole thread.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Decent park, horrible team, tough market. A crying shame that Montreal lost the team -- when they put good product on the field, the fans went to the park.

During the 1993 playoff run, the Phils and Expos were playing a 3-game set and we drove up from PA to watch the games. The place was packed 3 games in a row. The strike killed the Expos. They went from having the best team in baseball at the time of the strike to having a firesale right after it was resolved.
It wasn't just not having a World Series that harmed them. They released Pedro Martinez after the 1997 season, without approaching him to discuss a contract. They chose not to discuss a contract with Larry Walker after the 1994 season, so he too had no choice but to sign somewhere else.

There were other things that hurt them. Felipe Alou being fired. The team not being able to afford a new ballpark. Jeffrey Loria abandoning the team and stealing all their scouts and coaches. Bud Selig wanting the team contracted. Making it to the top of the wild card race in August of 2003, then going on a huge downhill slide because MLB wouldn't let them call up one player. Playing home games in Puerto Rico, including a three game set against the Blue Jays on Canada Day. It's great that at least they were able to last as long as they did.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 10:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Guess that kind of put the kibosh on this discussion, because that was all there was worth mentioning in the whole thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
It wasn't just not having a World Series that harmed them. They released Pedro Martinez after the 1997 season, without approaching him to discuss a contract. They chose not to discuss a contract with Larry Walker after the 1994 season, so he too had no choice but to sign somewhere else.

There were other things that hurt them. Felipe Alou being fired. The team not being able to afford a new ballpark. Jeffrey Loria abandoning the team and stealing all their scouts and coaches. Bud Selig wanting the team contracted. Making it to the top of the wild card race in August of 2003, then going on a huge downhill slide because MLB wouldn't let them call up one player. Playing home games in Puerto Rico, including a three game set against the Blue Jays on Canada Day. It's great that at least they were able to last as long as they did.
I stand corrected.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post

I was only able to see two games at Stade Olympique - I did enjoy them, though.

(Probably because I was able to walk up game day on a Saturday and Sunday and sit in the fourth row and third row, respectively, between HP and 3B.)

I did think they got jobbed with the PR games and was sad to see them 'move'.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 11:06pm

I used to enjoy watching Andre Dawson, Gary Carter and Rock Raines when they were with the Expos. Stade Olympique was never a really good baseball yard, the artificial turf was just brutal. The Padres always complained of it.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 11:53pm

I just watched a great game. Jonathan Sanchez no-hit the Padres. Brian Runge had the plate. 1st no-no in 33 years for the Giants since The Count threw his in '76.

U1 Tom Hallion totally blew a fan interference call against the Padres, as a fan clearly reached well over the fence in foul ground in right field and caught the ball in front of the fielder.

Almost a perfect game except for Juan Uribe's clank in the eighth.
Old Sat Jul 11, 2009, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
I was only able to see two games at Stade Olympique - I did enjoy them, though.

(Probably because I was able to walk up game day on a Saturday and Sunday and sit in the fourth row and third row, respectively, between HP and 3B.)

I did think they got jobbed with the PR games and was sad to see them 'move'.
You were able to get into the third and forth row? The lower-level seats were hard to get unless you went to a scalper. Fairly high priced and often sold to season ticket holders. General admission of $8 wasn't bad, but the nosebleeds were rarely open. Did you find the "ushers" to be very impolite and miserable?
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I just watched a great game. Jonathan Sanchez no-hit the Padres. Brian Runge had the plate. 1st no-no in 33 years for the Giants since The Count threw his in '76.
Brian was a little generous with the called third strike on the last batter.

Edited to add: Not that that's a bad thing.

Last edited by Ump153; Sun Jul 12, 2009 at 05:38pm.
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 05:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
Brian was a little generous with the called third strike on the last batter.

Edited to add: Not that that's a bad thing.
Yeah, I think he wanted a no-hitter for himself, too!