The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

I thought the old code of conduct was just fine, ignore assistants until they say something that get's them tossed, then they leave.
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Thanks Tee. I can't wait to see the assistant coaches squirm and try to restrain themselves. Should be a riot!
I thought that the part about assistant coaches was already a rule ...
I've never given an Asst. coach the time of day anyway, now it will cost the head coach also is the only change I see.

Kidding aside, this will be a good help for young umpires who sometimes let the asst. coaches get the best of them. Now they have the rule book to back them up.

Thanks
David
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

I believe this is a good change. Although many umpires don't put up with assistant coaches' inappropriate outburst and displays, this rule draws the line very clearly for everyone to see that the assistant coach is not in charge and his place within the game is not to address the umpires.

My question is where is the line drawn where after the assistant coach is ejected for his severe conduct that you eject the head coach as well? I cannot imagine a situation, short of a riot, that I would dump the head coach for the assistant coaches conduct (as an alternative to restricting the HC).

-Josh
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
I thought that the part about assistant coaches was already a rule ...
I've never given an Asst. coach the time of day anyway, now it will cost the head coach also is the only change I see.

Kidding aside, this will be a good help for young umpires who sometimes let the asst. coaches get the best of them. Now they have the rule book to back them up.

Thanks
David
Assistant coaches' behavior and appropriate consequences have been POEs a couple of times in the recent past. This isn't a re-affirmation, it is a change.

Personally, I prefer the old way. I just know that now, after an ejection, I'm going to be hearing, "You're supposed to bench him first."

Screw benching.
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

I am curious

In the state I work HS baseball in, at least in my area, I have seen or heard few problems with assistant coaches. The one asst I had to throw this year (the first one in many, many years) was a lemming. The HC got pitched after kicking dirt on HP, then me. Then the lemming 1B coach waited until the HC was gone to the dugout, then went and did the exact some thing the HC did in the same order! Even said the same words! Couldn't help but laugh, he not only acted like his HC, he threw his team under the bus at the same time.

But, back on point, in my state there have not been a lot of problems reported with asst. coaches.

Is there that much of a problem with this where the rest of you work HS baseball?

Last edited by jkumpire; Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 10:27am. Reason: Looking for voice software that works, so I stop typing mistakes!
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
Is there that much of a problem with this where the rest of you work HS baseball?
It is very rare here as well. However, I probably should have tossed one the other night but I was bewildered he was even out there to begin with.

-Josh
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 02:50pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
No, not here. Very, very rare.
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 03:50pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

That being said, the ruling does not say that the umpire cannot dump the assistant. It just says that "if" they are restricted, the head coach must go to the bench. That is all.
...and this has what to do with my post? The intended subject of my post was expressing some disapproval at BOTH coaches being restricted - that perhaps ejecting the assistant would effect his removal from the scene and facilitate the head coach doing his own job on the field, from the field.

JJ
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
In the state I work HS baseball in, at least in my area, I have seen or heard few problems with assistant coaches. The one asst I had to throw this year (the first one in many, many years) was a lemming. The HC got pitched after kicking dirt on HP, then me. Then the lemming 1B coach waited until the HC was gone to the dugout, then went and did the exact some thing the HC did in the same order! Even said the same words! Couldn't help but laugh, he not only acted like his HC, he threw his team under the bus at the same time.

But, back on point, in my state there have not been a lot of problems reported with asst. coaches.

For the most part, we have very few problems with assisitant coaches. Our assc. has made it clear to the head coaches that we will only participate discussions that come from them.
The big problem we face in Alabama is that the State expects there to be a restriction before any ejection, except in the most egregious situations.