The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 06, 2009, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure what to call........

Had a situation the other day that I had never even heard of before.

R2, pitcher on the rubber takes the sign and then takes a long look (about 7-9 seconds) at R2.

Meanwhile, batter doesn't ask for time but leaves the box and is fixing his glove. Pitcher, then starts his windup turns to look home and finds that there is no batter in the box. Pitcher stops his delivery because of missing batter.

Offensive coach is screaming for a balk and the defense is saying it is the fault of the batter.

I'll let the discussion go for a while before indicating what I called.
Old Mon Jul 06, 2009, 02:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibear View Post
Had a situation the other day that I had never even heard of before.

R2, pitcher on the rubber takes the sign and then takes a long look (about 7-9 seconds) at R2.

Meanwhile, batter doesn't ask for time but leaves the box and is fixing his glove. Pitcher, then starts his windup turns to look home and finds that there is no batter in the box. Pitcher stops his delivery because of missing batter.

Offensive coach is screaming for a balk and the defense is saying it is the fault of the batter.

I'll let the discussion go for a while before indicating what I called.
We have covered this many times. No balk. Both the pitcher and batter violated a rule, so you start again from scratch. If the pitcher pitches the ball, it is either a ball or strike depending on the location (read: big strike zone).

P.S. Why was the pitcher using the Windup with R2?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jul 06, 2009, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

No balk. Reset, try again. Might mention to batter that if he steps out on a live ball, he gets what he gets.
Old Mon Jul 06, 2009, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

For FED, this is a strike on the batter if F1 does not pitch, and 2 strikes if he does, regardless of where the pitch is. That's assuming that "batter doesn't ask for time but leaves the box" means he stepped out with both feet.
Old Mon Jul 06, 2009, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
We have covered this many times. No balk. Both the pitcher and batter violated a rule, so you start again from scratch. If the pitcher pitches the ball, it is either a ball or strike depending on the location (read: big strike zone).

P.S. Why was the pitcher using the Windup with R2?
I guess I used the wrong word, should be delivery not windup.
Old Mon Jul 06, 2009, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

No need to tell us what you called here. You should be controlling this Situation.

As already stated unless you are playing Fed rules you have the "Don't Pitch" signal up . I would be also explaining the facts about stepping out of the box without calling time to the batter. But, bottome line call time and prevent this from happening and the ensuing argument. Heck it bacame a 'Do Over" anyway.

Make it easier on yourself and control the situation.
Old Mon Jul 06, 2009, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

I thought some sorta colored flag was thrown in this situation???
Old Mon Jul 06, 2009, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_hickman View Post
i thought some sorta colored flag was thrown in this situation???

huh?
Old Mon Jul 06, 2009, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
For FED, this is a strike on the batter if F1 does not pitch, and 2 strikes if he does, regardless of where the pitch is. That's assuming that "batter doesn't ask for time but leaves the box" means he stepped out with both feet.
I don't see any smiley faces following your quote....so you gotta explain this rule...how do you get this understanding (1 strike, or 2 strikes) from any rule set?
Old Mon Jul 06, 2009, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
As already stated unless you are playing Fed rules you have the "Don't Pitch" signal up . I would be also explaining the facts about stepping out of the box without calling time to the batter. But, bottome line call time and prevent this from happening and the ensuing argument. Heck it bacame a 'Do Over" anyway.
Why would I put up the "don't pitch" if batter steps out of the box completely without asking?
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 01:28am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
As already stated unless you are playing Fed rules you have the "Don't Pitch" signal up .
There really is no "Don't Pitch" signal. There used to be one in FED, but there never has been one in OBR. It always kills the ball if you do it when the ball is alive. The only time to put up the stop sign is just prior to putting the ball back in play after a dead ball situation, immediately before the point ( point, of course, once the batter is settled).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Why would I put up the "don't pitch" if batter steps out of the box completely without asking?
Yes, why indeed. Let the pitcher pitch and get that strike!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 03:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishopcolle View Post
I don't see any smiley faces following your quote....so you gotta explain this rule...how do you get this understanding (1 strike, or 2 strikes) from any rule set?
NFHS rules 6-2-4d:
1. If the pitcher, with a runner on base, stops or hesitates in his delivery because the batter steps out of the box (a) with one foot or (b) with both feet or (c) holds up his hand to request “Time,” it shall not be a balk. In (a) and (c), there is no penalty on either the batter or the pitcher. The umpire shall call “Time” and begin play anew. In (b), a strike shall be called on the batter for violation of 7-3-1. In (a), (b) and (c), if the pitcher legally delivers the ball, it shall be called a strike and the ball remains live. Thus, two strikes are called on the batter in (b). If the umpire judges the batter’s action to be a deliberate attempt to create a balk, he will penalize according to 3-3-1o.

Not often actually enforced in this neck of the woods, though.
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

I did call a "do-over". Couldn't see penalizing either team when both teams did something wrong.
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibear View Post
I did call a "do-over". Couldn't see penalizing either team when both teams did something wrong.
Although your "instincts" led you to the right call in this case, you'd be better served to know the rule.
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
NFHS rules 6-2-4d:
1. If the pitcher, with a runner on base, stops or hesitates in his delivery because the batter steps out of the box (a) with one foot or (b) with both feet or (c) holds up his hand to request “Time,” it shall not be a balk. In (a) and (c), there is no penalty on either the batter or the pitcher. The umpire shall call “Time” and begin play anew. In (b), a strike shall be called on the batter for violation of 7-3-1. In (a), (b) and (c), if the pitcher legally delivers the ball, it shall be called a strike and the ball remains live. Thus, two strikes are called on the batter in (b). If the umpire judges the batter’s action to be a deliberate attempt to create a balk, he will penalize according to 3-3-1o.

Not often actually enforced in this neck of the woods, though.
Thanks Dave....learned something new today.....