The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Read Pause React - Screw up

Been working on this for weeks. Be patient, Read the play, Pause, then make your call...it has helped me immensely on making calls on the bases and at the plate. I believe my consistency has improved. BUT...then I mess up. Need some input on how you would have ended up resolving this play...
Sit: 11U USSSA tournament = R1 and R2 - one out....I am BU...Line drive hit to right center, F8 comes running in, dives, catches the ball, I signal out and verbalize catch....then, as he is sliding and rolling the ball pops out, I then signal ball down, and verbalize ball down....meanwhile, runners on my OUT signal are still standing on their bases. F8 bounces back up throws the ball to 2B for force out F6 throws the ball to 1B for second force out....double play....OC comes out and asks that it should be a catch and runners should remain on their bases since I had first signaled an out therefore the runners held their bases and said they should not be penalized for your mistake...I spoke with my partner and he wasn't sure what to do. We talked to both coaches and I stated, even though I made the out sign and verbalized out, the ball came loose, and I didnt think I could change the play. We called for UIC, Tourn. Director and the short of it was that we decided to go with my first call, CATCH and place runners back on their bases. Both coaches were fine with the call and we played on. Did we make the right decision on this screw up? Thanks in advance for your insight!

p.s. I was real upset with myself and can value more than ever, the ability to be patient.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaco54 View Post
Been working on this for weeks. Be patient, Read the play, Pause, then make your call...it has helped me immensely on making calls on the bases and at the plate. I believe my consistency has improved. BUT...then I mess up. Need some input on how you would have ended up resolving this play...
Sit: 11U USSSA tournament = R1 and R2 - one out....I am BU...Line drive hit to right center, F8 comes running in, dives, catches the ball, I signal out and verbalize catch....then, as he is sliding and rolling the ball pops out, I then signal ball down, and verbalize ball down....meanwhile, runners on my OUT signal are still standing on their bases. F8 bounces back up throws the ball to 2B for force out F6 throws the ball to 1B for second force out....double play....OC comes out and asks that it should be a catch and runners should remain on their bases since I had first signaled an out therefore the runners held their bases and said they should not be penalized for your mistake...I spoke with my partner and he wasn't sure what to do. We talked to both coaches and I stated, even though I made the out sign and verbalized out, the ball came loose, and I didnt think I could change the play. We called for UIC, Tourn. Director and the short of it was that we decided to go with my first call, CATCH and place runners back on their bases. Both coaches were fine with the call and we played on. Did we make the right decision on this screw up? Thanks in advance for your insight!

p.s. I was real upset with myself and can value more than ever, the ability to be patient.

You have to wait even longer on these plays to make sure the fielder "completes" the catch. The runner can always run when the ball touches the fielder glove. I also use the phrase "show me the ball" to slow myself down.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Since the ball was actually dropped, and your first call of a catch penalized the batter and imperiled the runners, you could have placed the runners at second and third, and the batter at first, which is where everyone would have likely wound up if the one dropped ball call was made.

Either way, kudos to you for manning up and trying to get it right.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

The final decision was correct IMO. Once you called "Catch", you have just changed the entire play. I would have quickly try to sell the idea that he had complete control and it was a voluntary release and then hoped they bought it. It sounds like you got lucky to have some calm coaches. If I was DC, I would have gone for the DP since that would have been the correct call from the start.

I don't know how others may feel b/c some might say it was so obvious and easily could be seen. But, it sounds like your call affected the play. So, I would go with the catch and hope I don't have to stand there too long while the OC or DC yells at me.

But, there is no rush to make a catch call. The runners can take off as soon as he touches it. So, they should not be waiting on your call to take off. Just remember that and things will be OK.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 02:04pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Yep, as Goodwillref stated...wait longer on the trouble ball. It's nothing until you call it. Make one call. I've screwed up doing that too...others on here have as well.

Try to wait a bit longer. Many young umpires (some older ones too) make their calls way too fast. That's where you get into trouble. The really good umpires are skilled at slowing the game down using the pause, read, make your call philosophy. I also use the "show me the ball" piece when I know they can hear me...when I'm working one man, I simply don't make a call until I see a complete catch.

I've seen a one man system screw up before where F7 dives in the gap, holds his glove up while on the ground representing that the ball is in his glove only to watch F8 pick up the ball laying behind him on the ground (F7 was shielding the ball as he layed on the ground) Fortunately I was able to learn from somebody else's error.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Good Coaches

The one forturnate thing was that both coaches acted with common sense and good sportsmanship. They both wanted to get the call right and to make sure, now get this...that the players understood what happened and why it happened so that they grow in experience and learn as well. Before we began play again, both coaches wanted a minute to huddle their teams and explain the situation. This brought everyone back into focus of picking up where we left off and players coaches and fans enjoyed the rest of the game. Not once during the rest of the game was anything mentioned about the play. Thanks for the input and advise.