The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 20, 2009, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Base Hit or Not?

What is the official ruling on the following. A runner is on first base, a batter hits the ball to the outfield which in not caught by the outfielder. The outfielder fields the ball and throws the ball to second base which gets the runner out coming from first. Would the batter be credited with a hit or would this situation be considers a fielder choice?
Old Sat Jun 20, 2009, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesox20 View Post
What is the official ruling on the following. A runner is on first base, a batter hits the ball to the outfield which in not caught by the outfielder. The outfielder fields the ball and throws the ball to second base which gets the runner out coming from first. Would the batter be credited with a hit or would this situation be considers a fielder choice?
It depends on what happens in the outfield. If the outfielder didn't make an error on the play, it's a hit. You can have a hit then a force out at second base.
Old Sat Jun 20, 2009, 06:20am
Official Forum Member

Fielders choice. An error is not possible, even if the fielder dropped a fly ball.
Old Sat Jun 20, 2009, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

No hit on a force play. FC.
Old Sat Jun 20, 2009, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

~Cripes~

Quote:
"It depends on what happens in the outfield. If the outfielder didn't make an error on the play, it's a hit. You can have a hit then a force out at second base."
If this wasn't so tragically wrong it would be funny.

Please don't answer when you do not know what you're talking about.
Old Sat Jun 20, 2009, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
It depends on what happens in the outfield. If the outfielder didn't make an error on the play, it's a hit. You can have a hit then a force out at second base.
Your ruling is only acceptable if you are keeping score and its your son that hit the ball to the outfield!!!!!!!!!

Otherwise its a F.C.
Old Sat Jun 20, 2009, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

You're telling me that if a player hits a clean single to right center and the dumba** on first ends up getting forced out at second, you're not going to give him a hit?

The OP said nothing about the outfielder dropping a fly ball. It just said it wasn't caught. That could mean anything.

Last edited by zm1283; Sat Jun 20, 2009 at 08:51am.
Old Sat Jun 20, 2009, 09:11am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
You're telling me that if a player hits a clean single to right center and the dumba** on first ends up getting forced out at second, you're not going to give him a hit?
What if the batter hits a sinking liner to right center and the fielder charges it and at the last minute backs off (as he knows he won't catch it). Runner checks up, not knowing if it will be caught. Right fielder plays it on a hop and tosses to second for the easy out. You gonna give the batter a hit? FC.
Old Sat Jun 20, 2009, 09:37am

Of course it's a Fielder's Choice. What else could it be, by rule?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jun 20, 2009, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, seeing that he didn't reach base, I don't know how that would be a base hit.

My logic was that there is no "choice" in the outfielder's decision. If it's a clean single, there is no play at first on the hitter, so he only has a play at second. Usually a FC requires some sort of choice made by the defense, but in this situation the fielder has no choice on which player to try to get out.

Why do you seem so angry about little stuff like this? Deep breath.....
You don't need logic, you need the scoring rules.

(b) The official scorer shall not credit a base hit when a:
(1) runner is forced out by a batted ball, or would have been forced out except for a fielding error;
(2) batter apparently hits safely and a runner who is forced to advance by reason of the batter becoming a runner fails to touch the first base to which such runner is advancing and is called out on appeal. The official scorer shall charge the batter with a time at bat but no hit;

People get upset when a poster continues to argue against a black-and-white-by-the-rules ruling.
Old Sat Jun 20, 2009, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post

(1) runner is forced out by a batted ball, or would have been forced out except for a fielding error;
(2) batter apparently hits safely and a runner who is forced to advance by reason of the batter becoming a runner fails to touch the first base to which such runner is advancing and is called out on appeal. The official scorer shall charge the batter with a time at bat but no hit;

People get upset when a poster continues to argue against a black-and-white-by-the-rules ruling.
That's fine. I admitted long ago in this thread that I was wrong. I'm not continuing to argue against anythinng. I'm not sure why Kevin feels the need to keep proving he was right, all because I told him I did additional research on why this is a FC and not a hit.

Kevin, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Bad game last night?
Old Sat Jun 20, 2009, 10:40am

Again, what else could it have been? A fielder's choice! You keep telling us not to argue on things. We're not arguing, we're just expressing our opinions. Quit taking it so personally. Admit (and not grudgingly) that we were right and you were wrong. I have to do that constantly around here when I FUBAR something.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jun 20, 2009, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've never taken scorekeeping "knowledge" from a woman.

I looked around some more online, and I guess it's a FC. I don't agree with it, but you guys are right. The hitter is getting screwed though either way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Again, what else could it have been? A fielder's choice! You keep telling us not to argue on things. We're not arguing, we're just expressing our opinions. Quit taking it so personally. Admit (and not grudgingly) that we were right and you were wrong. I have to do that constantly around here when I FUBAR something.
Gee, that looks like I admitted that I was wrong in that post. Did you not read the thread from the start, or did you choose to ignore it so you could pile on?

It's times like this that make you believe umpires have bigger egos than coaches, and I didn't think that was possible.
Old Sat Jun 20, 2009, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post

Upset is one. Incredulous is another. Amused, astounded and dumbfounded are others.
Old Sat Jun 20, 2009, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
..., but seriously wondering how anyone could come up with anything but Fielder's Choice as the answer to the question.
It's Dad's wishful thinking. Is it any wonder how some LL kids bat .800 when Dad has the book?

As for scorekeeping, I learned the craft from a woman in Candlestick Park, many years ago. She was quite good, and often disagreed with the official at the park, with good reason. I've never seen so many folks with scorebooks than in Candlestick. It's quite an art, and everyone had their own style. I got a good education, and appreciation for the game in that old meat locker of a park. I won't miss the location, but I do miss the fans, as they were very baseball savvy. Unlike Petco, that has to have the dumbest fans, on average, in MLB.
Closed Thread